first oil change,synth ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
question; if your vehicle has factory fill dino oil,for your first oil change is it safe to start using synthetic [recommended viscosity] oil? let's say at 1500 to 2000 miles. concerns are will the rings seat,and all other parts mate or would it take awhile.i know todays engines are different,and the oil co. say it is ok,just want some educated opinions,and experiences..

that is exactly what I've been asking about all over the place... the concensus is that there is no concensus.
dunno.gif

after all my research, however, I plan to give my new '04 WRX synthetic on the first change at around 1600 miles.

some would disagree with me, but a lot of 'ru owners have come out in favor of early synth.

I don't think it matters in the long run. It's just a waste to change good synth oil every 3K to remove break-in wear particles unless you have a turbo motor. I changed to synth at 4K on my new Vue. But then again, I already changed it 3 times by then!
smile.gif

I changed to synthetic on my 2002 Honda Accord 3.0 V6 at the first oil change. I waited until 6800 miles which was way too long. I didn't know anything about oil then, but wait I don't know much now. I just know there's a lot I don't know, however I'm learning a lot thanks to this site! Too late to do different now though. I have no problems with my engine, but it only has ~21k miles right now.

Now I'm not saying this is correct, but, I researched this when I bought my Tacoma 2 yrs ago.
I found a few sources that stated slowly making the transition to synthetic was the best approach.

I switched oil synthetic 5w-30 in my 98 Ford Crown Vic when it had 1000 miles put on it by me after I bought it new and it has never leaked any oil from seals etc.,and only used about 1/2 qt between changes.This consumption is from the evaporation factor in oils. Oil is changed out at about 8-10k miles of use. It now has approx. 78500 miles on it and stills runs like a top. I will continue to use synthetic oil(Amsoil 5W-30) in it. My wife's SUV has same oil in it also and no problems.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
If you are set on using a synthetic, I would go a full 3,000 miles on the factory oil and switch over at the first oil change, as long as your owner's manual doesn't advise otherwise.

That sounds like a safe plan to me, and is exactly what I would do if I bought a new car right now.

cool.gif
New cars these days will break in fine on syn. I'm still a little old-school though. I'll do my first change at half the recommended OCI with plain dino then at the recommended OCI and after with syn.

Hi,
because many manuafcturers use a special formula factory fill it is important that the oil stays there as long as the maker recommends. This avoids likely warranty issues

The first change can then be confidently made to a synthetic

After owning many many new trucks and cars and doing hundreds of UOAs. this has proven to be the best process for me

Regards
cheers.gif

I can tell you my experience with VWs.
Maybe you can cross reference some things.

Until a couple of years ago, VW had bullet proof
bottom ends. Never burn any oil, even after a 160,000 miles. Most owners used 20w-50 in summer and 10w-30 in winter.
Then due to government pressure etc,etc all the manufacturers became very keen on getting gas economy from all their cars, even the 4 bangers.

Suddenly VW started using low tension oil rings and recommending thin oils. Now VW's are burning allot of oil and new owners are running them dry.

The dealerships are most concerned and one way this concern is communicated is " Leave the factory oil in till 7,500 kilometers. It is a special break in oil"

Absolute rubbish.
Oil analysis has shown that there is nothing special about VW factory oil.

When I buy a new VW, I usually get the oil changed at 500 kilometers and then again at around 1500. Then I start with synthetic.

This is completely contrary to what is recommended by the men in white.

It does seem that low tension rings take longer to seat if they ever do.

Believe it or not, but VW state in writing that they consider 1 litre to 1000 kilometers normal oil consumption.

But than of course they know much more than us...

The only car that VW states to wait until 5k miles to do the first change is with the w8 engine. This is per their "Driver Gear Magazine" in 2002 where they have a small article about oil. And the w8 can only use synthetic oil. Every other gas engine vw makes can use an A2 or A3 oil, dino or syn.

If you are set on using a synthetic, I would go a full 3,000 miles on the factory oil and switch over at the first oil change, as long as your owner's manual doesn't advise otherwise.

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
The only car that VW states to wait until 5k miles to do the first change is with the w8 engine. This is per their "Driver Gear Magazine" in 2002 where they have a small article about oil. And the w8 can only use synthetic oil. Every other gas engine vw makes can use an A2 or A3 oil, dino or syn.

The 2002 maintenance manual that comes with the car (VW Jetta ) in Canada states first oil change at 8,000 kilometers and after that oil change intervals of 16,000 kilometers duration.

This is with Dino or Synthetic. They do NOT differentiate in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back