First Guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Sorry about your Dad.

Thanks for your thoughts! I will have to look up the .38 Merwin Hulbert to see what it looks like--sounds interesting...

my dad has been a police officer and security officer most of his life, however he never did get around to teaching me how to shoot.

After marrying my wife my father in law couldn't wait to start teaching me some things, and last summer for my birthday he gave me a cherry 870 WingMaster.

That more than made up for anything I had missed from back in the day.
shocked2.gif

OP, you sound like you were a great son to your Father.

I just scanned through the post before my first post...

I have no doubt he has no regrets as you are very quick to share his memory.

I have really been meaning to take out the Harrington and Richardson, but it is nice to see it isn't a forgotten arms manufacturer.

Sometimes the best way to not miss someone who passes away is to always remember them.

Should have offered my condolences on your recent loss.

Lost my Dad in May of 1991, while my ship was still off the coast of Syria (funny how that is still a troubled area).... I was 27 at the time...arranging for the purchase of that S&W was among our last conversations.

Still miss him

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Should have offered my condolences on your recent loss. Lost my Dad in May of 1991, while my ship was still off the coast of Syria (funny how that is still a troubled area).... I was 27 at the time...arranging for the purchase of that S&W was among our last conversations. Still miss him

No worries and thanks for the thoughts. I had 49 good years with him and we had some fantastic times together and went many places through those years. He never fully recovered from the wreck that totaled his truck some months ago and had some other health issues that just compromised his quality of life.

He had a Winchester Model 25 that as young boys we nicknamed the "Mule" for obvious reasons. My H&R .410 and that Winchester now sit side-by-side in the back my gunsafe--just like old times.

Originally Posted By: Falken
OP, you sound like you were a great son to your Father.

I just scanned through the post before my first post...

I have no doubt he has no regrets as you are very quick to share his memory.

I have really been meaning to take out the Harrington and Richardson, but it is nice to see it isn't a forgotten arms manufacturer.

Sometimes the best way to not miss someone who passes away is to always remember them.

Thanks Falken! Just for grins, I did a search on H&R (thinking they were now defunct) I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only are they still in business, our old friend is still being made too. I think I know what my two sons will have for a first shotgun. H&R Topper Shotguns

The first gun my dad gave to me that was all mine was an H&R single shot 20ga. I got it for Christmas in the early to mid 80's, wish I could remember which year. I still have it in my safe and it's in excellent condition. When I got it and first shot it I was scared to death of it, man did it kick. The reason was my dad reloaded most all of his shotshells, 'hot loads' he called them. Wasn't until I used some regular store bought light loads that I came around and actually wanted to use it. I can remember my dad laughing at me about the flinch I developed when I'd touch it off.

No plans to ever get rid of it.

dad never gave me a gun. showed me his, but his are all handguns. retired police officer. my father in law gave me an 870 wing. That thing is sweet and I can hit a 5 qt oil jug hanging from a tree with slugs 80 yards out. Yep, it's my gun alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back