First giveaway oil change

We had a new hire at work (been there 3-4 weeks now) that heard from the grapevine that I work on cars. He asked if I'd change his alternator for him, said it's making all sorts of noise; some mechanic he took it to diagnosed it as the alternator. He's a cool guy, I got along with him well from the start, so I told him to bring it over and I'd replace it. 2002 Accord w/160K, 3.0L V6, I'm familiar with the J-series engines having owned a 3.5L Odyssey before.

Much tighter squeeze getting the alternator out in an Accord chassis than it was in my Odyssey, especially getting a wrench in the tight space to relieve belt tension, and also had to remove a couple brackets to physically get the alternator out of that tight space. Nothing insurmountable, probably a 30-45 minute job if we weren't jabbering the whole time. New alternator cured the noise.

Somewhere in the process he mentions he's 4K over his oil change-- he's been duped by Valvoline quick-lube into thinking he needs it every 3K. I have leftover filters from my Odyssey, so I offered to change the oil as it's nearing 7K since his last change and I have quite the oil stash. Drain plug took a 12" 3/8" drive breaker bar to break lose-- took way too much effort and I was almost to the point of declining the offer because of how tight it was.

Oil filter was worse. Valvoline quick-lube used the tiny 6607-size thimble filter, not sure if that's what's called for on this vehicle, but I typically see a PH7313 or PH3593A size used on the J-series of that era. My strap wrench actually twisted the metal can of the filter like a corkscrew trying to break it loose. Ended up having to remove the passenger wheel and luckily there's enough clearance around the oil filter where I could get a large set of channel lock pliers at the top of the filter and remove it that way. WAY too tight.

Took longer than I thought, but the guy was great company. 5 quarts of 5w-30 Chevron Supreme and a Mobil1 filter I had no use for and a couple hours of my time. I had 5w-20 on hand, but he preferred the 5w-30. He just bought the car, so I made sure to mention timing belt since it has no service history.. Given the condition of the car and where he bought it (buy here pay here), I suspect it's never been changed.

We had a new hire at work (been there 3-4 weeks now) that heard from the grapevine that I work on cars. He asked if I'd change his alternator for him, said it's making all sorts of noise; some mechanic he took it to diagnosed it as the alternator. He's a cool guy, I got along with him well from the start, so I told him to bring it over and I'd replace it. 2002 Accord w/160K, 3.0L V6, I'm familiar with the J-series engines having owned a 3.5L Odyssey before.

Much tighter squeeze getting the alternator out in an Accord chassis than it was in my Odyssey, especially getting a wrench in the tight space to relieve belt tension, and also had to remove a couple brackets to physically get the alternator out of that tight space. Nothing insurmountable, probably a 30-45 minute job if we weren't jabbering the whole time. New alternator cured the noise.

Somewhere in the process he mentions he's 4K over his oil change--
he's been duped by Valvoline quick-lube into thinking he needs it every 3K. I have leftover filters from my Odyssey, so I offered to change the oil as it's nearing 7K since his last change and I have quite the oil stash. Drain plug took a 12" 3/8" drive breaker bar to break lose-- took way too much effort and I was almost to the point of declining the offer because of how tight it was.

Oil filter was worse. Valvoline quick-lube used the tiny 6607-size thimble filter, not sure if that's what's called for on this vehicle, but I typically see a PH7313 or PH3593A size used on the J-series of that era. My strap wrench actually twisted the metal can of the filter like a corkscrew trying to break it loose. Ended up having to remove the passenger wheel and luckily there's enough clearance around the oil filter where I could get a large set of channel lock pliers at the top of the filter and remove it that way. WAY too tight.

Took longer than I thought, but the guy was great company. 5 quarts of 5w-30 Chevron Supreme and a Mobil1 filter I had no use for and a couple hours of my time. I had 5w-20 on hand, but he preferred the 5w-30. He just bought the car, so I made sure to mention timing belt since it has no service history.. Given the condition of the car and where he bought it (buy here pay here), I suspect it's never been changed.

Good for you ... it's always rewarding to be helpful. (y) (y)

Good for you ... it's always rewarding to be helpful.
Yes, but......things can change when, in 3 years or 50,000 miles, something happens and the "fellow employee" accuses you of hurting his engine with the oil change. People can be funny.

I'm sorta kidding but everyone knows what I'm speaking of.

Seriously, I hope the guy saw the filter and can accept that one does not always get the good service they expect. You did him a goodie for sure. Good for you.

That was really nice of you to do all that work for him! I hope he rewards you with a gift card or something of value. That tight filter reminds me of my son's 2020 Cherokee Trail Hawk. The oil plug was so tight from the factory we had to bring it to a shop for removal. I do not know why mechanics tighten those oil filters so tightly. Those Honda Accord's last forever but I agree he should have that timing belt and hardware replaced.

Back