First Co hydronic Air handlers

I was talking to a friend about replacing my AC and he said he was replacing his as well but he had never heard of the company in the quote. To be honest, neither had I. Has anyone heard of First Company (First Co)? Does anyone have experience with these units? An online search shows a very short warranty 12-18 months depending on the unit, tons of complaints about leaks outside the warranty period, and very poor service with the company doing anything they can to not be helpful even when in the warranty period.

They have been around for a long time.
I didn't know they made residential units.
Installed lots of them (new construction) in apartment buildings....way back in the late 70's.

Leaks may not be on the manufacturer.

Most of the parts inside these AC units these days are all sourced from a few places.

The highest end ones will get more parts made in non-China countries... but that doesn't mean the USA.

A Goodman AC unit will last a long time if sized and installed properly. A high dollar Trane won't last a summer if sized and installed improperly.

There's a lot of people on the internet complaining about the AC unit when they should be complaining about the idiot that installed it.

They been around since 1966 make more of a commercial line heres a link that can download their catalog

Most of the parts inside these AC units these days are all sourced from a few places.

The highest end ones will get more parts made in non-China countries... but that doesn't mean the USA.

A Goodman AC unit will last a long time if sized and installed properly. A high dollar Trane won't last a summer if sized and installed improperly.

There's a lot of people on the internet complaining about the AC unit when they should be complaining about the idiot that installed it.
True, but I really don’t like the warranty - 12-18 months on parts when it’s 5-12 years for most brands. My brother did HVAC in the Air Force and when he first got out and said stay away - they were notorious for leaks just outside warranty. Another HVAC guy said parts are 2-3x what other manufacturers charge for absolutely no good reason and they fight warranty claims every time to the point he refuses to sell them or service them if it means replacing anything. Too many people blaming him when the new part fails again.

My advice to my friend is going to be to pass on this system.

Thanks, everyone!

True, but I really don’t like the warranty - 12-18 months on parts when it’s 5-12 years for most brands. My brother did HVAC in the Air Force and when he first got out and said stay away - they were notorious for leaks just outside warranty. Another HVAC guy said parts are 2-3x what other manufacturers charge for absolutely no good reason and they fight warranty claims every time to the point he refuses to sell them or service them if it means replacing anything. Too many people blaming him when the new part fails again.

My advice to my friend is going to be to pass on this system.

Thanks, everyone!
The commercial products tend to be abused if not done correctly so they have different kind of warranty than residential, despite more reliable.

Personally for your need I would install a unit more suited for residential and with residential style warranty.

Anyone have anything to say about Aspen hydronic air handlers and Ducane condensers?

Back