First Bad Supertech Oil Filter Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Supertech 7317 filter I removed from a friend's '93 MX-6 on the weekend was rattly with loose internals. I've seen this happen with a Fram ('98 Tercel), two NAPA Pro-Selects ('05 Tribute), and a new uninstalled Purolator Pure One ('87 Suburban), but this is my first bad experience with a Supertech. I've been using Supertechs on this car for years, and comparing with the previous ones in the bin it appears they've been doing some cost-cutting. It looks the same externally and is still marked as made in the USA, but the shell is made of thinner metal and the center tube has sections pressed out to allow oil flow past the slots instead of the circular holes that the older filters use.

That was my last ST7317 so I'll be using something else in the future. I don't have easy access to them anyway since WalMart only sells Fram in Canada. I had picked them up when I was in the U.S. I had to go with Fram for this change. I had hoped to grab a Quaker State filter for it from Canadian Tire, but they were sold out of those. At least the grippy stuff on the Fram made installation easier. It's hard to get a good grip on the filter in that car. I'll have to either stock up on the QS filters or Mazda filters in the future.

I was also unimpressed at the Made in China Supertech cartridge filter I removed from my Mazda3. It appeared to be have been either crushed or twisted, but the filter media was still completely intact so no problem there. Checking against my used OEM Mazda filters, it's the same height in the center, but the edges of the plastic endcaps seem to have shrunk and compressed the media. I had another ST filter for this oil change so I installed it then removed it, and it still looks brand new, so it's not that it isn't fitting properly. I didn't have anything else on hand so I used it. I may change it early and I'll definitely use something else next time as I only had the two of those anyway. I'll probably stick with Mazda filters in the future.

Looking through my pile of old filters, I've personally installed and removed 26 Supertech filters between this MX-6 and a '99 Sunfire, so they did have a decent run.

the can or filter body will crush in when trying to take it off, way cheap, use any other make that does not crush in, like Napa, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. IMHO. or the other guys ...................

I'll keep my eyes open locally and online and try out the brands suggested if I can get them for a decent price. I know I can get always a good filter from Mazda anyway, though the location and hours of operation aren't very convenient for me.

I see from other threads that ST filters are no longer available. I was only searching for ST problem threads when I searched before posting.

I do think they were decent filters at one time.

Seems like they would still be selling them if they were a good filter.
21.gif

Is Autozone still selling their $1.89 filter? It was a rebranded Supertech.

The only time I used them was on a short 300-500 cleaning OCI where I changed the filter every 500 miles.

Of all the filters I've opened up to examine, the only filter that had any issues were ST. I had two of them burst the filter paper. 5w-30 oil was used, and I don't recall them being used during cold weather. This was on an '89 CRX.

I don't think I'll buy them any more, just from that. Not when there are quality brands that are so close in price.

Wow I used Supertech almost exclusively from 2005 up until the last time I went to WallyWorld and saw they no longer were carrying them. They always looked nice and solid when I cut them open. They did a great job of sludge catching on my 9-5.

Filters are gone, yes...replaced by the Purolator Classics. The ST oil (and other fluid types) is still available.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
So have Supertechs been discontinued? Who made them, and is Supertech oil still made?

They were made by Champion

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Filters are gone, yes...replaced by the Purolator Classics. The ST oil (and other fluid types) is still available.

I'm not sure whether Purolator Classics are going to replace them or not. From what I have seen, all STs are gone and replaced mainly by Fram with a limited selection of Purolator Classics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back