Firestone Destination AT's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at upsizing the tires on my explorer to 31x10.50 15's. I am looking for good sand and snow traction. I have the stock size Yokohama Geolander AT's on it now and they do very well. My only complaints are the noise as it ages and poor fuel economy.

Any thoughts on the Destination AT's?
How about the Dunlap RVXT's?

My driving habits will be a hwy/offroad 60/40 mix, won't be rockclimbing but will encounter mud, sand, snow etc.
though this firestone is somewhat on my list (based on price), - my choices are leaning towards the Bridgstone Revo AT or the TOYO open country AT (in that order) for my pathfinder. I know these are about $50 each more/tire - my safty comes first.

Smiley,

I bought the Dest. AT a few months ago for my 03 GMC Sierra.

MUCH better stabilization on the road, very quiet for the size of the lugs, but the gas mileage went down about 0.5 MPG. But, I believe that's because the truck had car-like tires on it and zippo for traction before.

So if you don't mind a possible lower MPG, I highly recommend them !

Let us know what you do.......

Thanks Tpitcher, thats what I was looking for. I dont think my mpg will go down due to the AT design as I am running a more aggressive tread pattern as it is. It will go down due to the larger size I am looking to get.

jmacmaster, I have reviewed the site extensively. Just looking for real time feedback from a bitog'er.

Max_Tl, Do you think the Destinations are unsafe? If so, you will want to stay away from the Revo's. The only difference between the two tires are tread design. The rest of the tire makeup is the same IIRC. What do you think makes the Destinations unsafe?

If you are upsizing, don't expect better fuel ecomomy -- especially on an Explorer. Given the size, I'm assuming you have a 1st or 2nd gen Ex? You may also find it difficult to find a local shop to mount them tires on an Explorer. At least that's what it was like in the past. Due to the Ford/Firestone fiasco, sometire shops freak out, and will only install OEM sizes.

SMILEY,
I wasn't my implication that the firestones are unsafe. Just I prefer the more aggressive pattern of the other two.
For some reason also - check out and compare the reviews at tirerack.com vrs 1010tires.com for the firestones.

quote:

If you are upsizing, don't expect better fuel ecomomy -- especially on an Explorer. Given the size, I'm assuming you have a 1st or 2nd gen Ex? You may also find it difficult to find a local shop to mount them tires on an Explorer. At least that's what it was like in the past. Due to the Ford/Firestone fiasco, sometire shops freak out, and will only install OEM sizes.

I know I will be losing MPG. I am just trying to minimize it via tread pattern/compounds.

I have a Generation 2 (98 V8 AWD) with a torsion twist and Warrior shackles, so its raised about 1 1/2 to 2" for the 31's. I have already found a couple shops that will install this size. Thanks for the tip as not too many folks are aware of the problem when looking to upsize on these SUVs.

Max, Ill check the other site out. I dont realy need the most aggressive tread or I would upsize in the Geolanders. I just love the Geolander's off road ability... just not a fan of the noise as they wear or the drop in MPG I got... but they are still tempting.

don't worry about the MPG loss, because your gonna lose some when going to bigger tire size.

The Destination is a very good tire amoung many new Bridgestone Tires designs.

I believe it is a Uni-T Tread as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back