Firestone Complete Autocare Centers, worth a visit IMO.

Local one off a major highway near me, got tires for the truck there. Got Destination LE3's a while back and they have been great so far. Time for a rotation and I'd rather have them do it to keep the warranty, heck it's free anyway.

Ran a little late for my appt. but got there within 10 from work. Out in 30 mins, max. They do this new thing where all the mechanics get a business card with isn't a bad idea especially if you keep getting the same guy. He gets to know you and you get to know him. Chatting with him about the basics, bsing and what not. Truck is waiting out front with tire shine on the wheels and he even scrubbed the white lettering a bit because I know it wasn't that clean prior. Thoroughly impressed as even though I trusted the previous shop(Jack Williams), I wasn't getting that style of service. Once Mavis bought them out it went downhill fast, they wouldn't even honor previous warranties from the company they bought. I never went back but I think I found my new go too place.

Obviously this is completely indicative on how that particular location is run but I would hope it translates company wide.

I won’t go to the local one to me anymore. They tried to convince my wife that her 2 year old 2008 Envoy with 40k miles needed an entire new front end. Quoted like $3,200. I couldn’t believe. Took it to another GM shop and told them what we were told. The put on the rack and looked at me like I was nuts. Said it looked like new underneath. They lost my business with move.

I won’t go to the local one to me anymore. They tried to convince my wife that her 2 year old 2008 Envoy with 40k miles needed an entire new front end. Quoted like $3,200. I couldn’t believe. Took it to another GM shop and told them what we were told. The put on the rack and looked at me like I was nuts. Said it looked like new underneath. They lost my business with move.
That sounds more like the usual Firestone experience

More like the dumpster behind the McDonald's.
That's Mavis & what used to be Jack WIlliams in my area. We don't have Discount Tire and I have my reservations about Costco & Sam's Club. I guess I found the diamond in the porta potty! :ROFLMAO:

I have a lifetime alignment for my truck Ive had for about 15 years and plan on keeping. I replace all front end parts when they show wear. One time they gave me some BS about needing some random things. I said fine, I'll replace them and come back. I also suspected they were only adjusting toe. So I painted the "bad" front end part and adjusted the control arms to the max to force them to align it right. Took it back and no questions or recommendations. Said it looked good. I wouldn't trust them to do anything other than exactly what I asked and I check after they finish. Pretty sad.

They serve a certain purpose for me as they're open on Sunday. I can get an inspection done, or other simple stuff like mount & balance tires I bought elsewhere, but I won't rely on them for major things.

That sounds more like the usual Firestone experience
Yeah, there's a Firestone in my area that is terrible. I went there to have them check for a tire leak on a 2016 BMW 5-Series. They rounded off one of my lug nuts, probably from using the wrong socket in conjunction with an impact wrench. Instead of stepping up, admitting the mistake and fixing it, they told me to leave and that I needed to go to the dealer because somebody had overtorqued the lug nut! The last one to touch the lug nuts had been the BMW dealer and I know they use a torque stick to tighten lug nuts, so I knew that was nonsense. I will never do business with them again, and will tell anyone who will listen how terrible they are.

They serve a certain purpose for me as they're open on Sunday. I can get an inspection done, or other simple stuff like mount & balance tires I bought elsewhere, but I won't rely on them for major things.
Well that was more on my point, tires is all I used them for and for that mine at least seems on point. He did is whole inspection and told me what I already knew, as in nothing else was wrong other than the OLM being at 38%.

No. 1 - The local Les Shawab is super shady, IMO. Brought in a loose wheel/tire for flat repair; I marked and showed them the location of the nail. They call me a few hours later and said it's not repairable because the sidewall was cut (show me?). When I went to get my now naked wheel, they couldn't find the tire.

No. 2 - I needed tires for the Legend. I go to Costco and pick out the only OEM sized tire they have in stock. I tell the guy I need four of them. He can't sell them to me. Store policy is they only replace tires with the same speed rating from the manufacturer. Has to special order tires for me. The Legend came with "V" rated tires from Honda. No way in heck can the Legend get anywhere near 149MPH. I go elsewhere.

I now go to an ancient Firestone place on old Highway 50 and have been for the past 18 years. Anyplace that has hunting and shooting magazines in the waiting area is OK by me. I dig the old sign, too.

IMO, car repair is like healthcare. When you find a good doctor, why shop around for another?

1678296462722.png

I have a lifetime alignment for my truck Ive had for about 15 years and plan on keeping. I replace all front end parts when they show wear. One time they gave me some BS about needing some random things. I said fine, I'll replace them and come back. I also suspected they were only adjusting toe. So I painted the "bad" front end part and adjusted the control arms to the max to force them to align it right. Took it back and no questions or recommendations. Said it looked good. I wouldn't trust them to do anything other than exactly what I asked and I check after they finish. Pretty sad.
For .7 on a lifetime alignment recheck, what do you expect?

The one around me is decent. They’re expensive and use junk parts from the autozone across the street, but at least they’re friendly. I have the lifetime alignment with them and do most my own maintenance now, so I only visit them maybe once a year. But the one my mother went to recently has gone down hill. Was told it would be 3 hours to replace tires which I think was kind of long, but ok, it ended up taking almost 6 which is ridiculous. I asked the service writer if the tech could check some things out that she was concerned about and when picking it up, a different service guy said they didn’t do that. I guess the first guy never told anybody. My requests went in one ear and out the other. They’re also supposed to do a “free alignment check” when you buy new tires, it says so on their website, but they didn’t do that either. And they weren’t very friendly either.

Last edited:
Completely dependent on individual location. We had one with an excellent manager and a crew of mechanics that had followed him to the location he was at. They did an excellent job. When the manager moved on, and so did some of the mechanics, things went towards the usual - and we left.

Back