Fired my Oldsey today...

One thing I remember about the old GM vehicles is that back then there were no computer designed parts so the fit of the starter to the engine and flywheel was not an exact fit like now days that you can just buy a starter and put it on. With those old cars often you had to use shims to get the spacing of the starter with the flywheel gear teeth just right. It was common to install the starter a couple of times adjusting how many shims were used each time until you got it right, even if you did pull the inspection pan and try to match it up by sliding the bendix out so the drive gear was engaged with the flywheel gear while you looked at it to check clearance the first time you installed it. Real fun when you are working on your dads car while laying on a large piece of cardboard with snow under it in the winter.

Usually if you used the same number of shims with the new starter that were used with the old starter it worked good enough.
The starter is heavy. Holding it up and attaching the 3 wires is OK if you are young.
My Vette used to eat reman starters evey year. I ultimately put in a mini-starter from Summit Racing and never looked back. Yay!

If it's not a 60's or 70's muscle car, I want NOTHING to do with it. :cool:
For my tastes, A-Bodies up to '67, Corvettes maybe to '71, possibly 72 (known as bumper cars). However, a '74 Roadster might be nice because I could use modern running gear and make a non-tempermental everyday driver. 1970 was the only year for a high compression 454.

My BIL drove my '68 years ago and got the bug. He got a '62 Fuelie basket. Here it is now, all numbers correct. Took years to loacte stuff. Mark started with zero knowledge; I am trying to get him to write a book on the Chevrolet Mechanical Fuel Injection now. Big bucks in this car. truly a labor of love. I am a better wrench than Mark, but he has the patience of Job. And an eye for detail I will never have.
62 Fuelie Before.jpeg
62 Fuelie Side.jpeg

Last edited:
On using the 350 trany, I am not a transmission mechanic and not 100 percent sure, but I think those might of been one of the ones that have a couple of different modulator valves that could be used (of course you only install and use one at any time) and you can adjust how it shifts by changing to a different modulator valve. Also choosing the modulator valve may help match the trany to the engine, rear-end, and driving conditions including altitude.

Last edited:
IMO...it would be sacrilege to put a 350 turbo transmission in that true survivor or modify it in any way other than stock! The interior looks to be near perfect for a 55 year old muscle car. I hope you saved the cast iron intake and q jet carb which can be rebuilt. Get the brakes, drive train, suspension, electricals, etc in shape, along with a nice detail and then present it to your wife! It is original only once! PS...And I forgot to mention the “knee knocker” tach in the fourth pic...WOW!

I disagree.....The Jetaway is a boat anchor at best. Putting a TH350 in doesn't permanently alter the vehicle in any way.

One of my customers special ordered a 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air 2 dr Hard Top with Two-Fours.....It's had 20+ engines in it over the years, Along with a roll cage & a modified frame. Still wears it's original Black lacquer, Trim, & Glass. I think it's funny to have someone half his age say he "Ruined that car".

If this 442 was mine......It would have a LSx, Overdrive trans, 4 wheel disc brakes, & A/C......

I put a mini starter in my 65 Barracuda and it worked perfectly. It weighed about 30 lbs less and was half the size. :) Sadly, I sold the car about 10 years ago.

I think that radio may have vacuum tubes and a relay set up to oscillate to drive a transformer with pulsing DC to make the high voltage for the vacuum tubes. And it may have a generator instead of an alternator, and the voltage regulator for charging the battery may be the old relay type that had adjustable normally closed points that would close if the voltage was too low and cause the generator or alternator to produce power.

No tint in glass, and the glass probably is not any kind of safety glass. I can't see from the pictures, does it have the little window infront of the side windows to catch the air and channel it into the vehicle?
Where were you all these decades? Most of that stuff was long-obsolete by '65.

I disagree.....The Jetaway is a boat anchor at best. Putting a TH350 in doesn't permanently alter the vehicle in any way.

If this 442 was mine......It would have a LSx, Overdrive trans, 4 wheel disc brakes, & A/C......
The JunkAway is a piece of junk at best.

LS motor and stuff would be perfect in a red '74 Corvette Roadster, but ...
Cline, I never knew you were a butcher... Please use an F-85 and don't cut up my beloved Oldsey!
I did think about front disc brakes as the drums on this HEAVY car work good once or twice...
But the 14x6 steelies and dog dish hubcaps make the car...

On using the 350 trany, I am not a transmission mechanic and not 100 percent sure, but I think those might of been one of the ones that have a couple of different modulator valves that could be used (of course you only install and use one at any time) and you can adjust how it shifts by changing to a different modulator valve.

A "Red Stripe" Modulator is pretty much standard on any performance build, The trick is to get the Governor dialed-in just right which wouldn't be tough on this low RPM engine.

Finding a good BOP/UNI-Bell TH350 Case is tough at times.....I used to scrap dedicated BOP cases all the time because I robbed the guts to build Chevy case TH350's.

One of my customers special ordered a 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air 2 dr Hard Top with Two-Fours.....It's had 20+ engines in it over the years, Along with a roll cage & a modified frame. Still wears it's original Black lacquer, Trim, & Glass. I think it's funny to have someone half his age say he "Ruined that car".

Agree the TH350 is head and shoulders above the 2 speed Jetaway. The automatic a bodies up until 1967 came with 2 speed power glides, even the big block cars. Many times at car shows you can profile a car before you even get close to it. Let me guess, a LS motor with a modded TH400 or Tremec, 4 wheel discs, monster sound system with a trunk full of audio equipment etc. I used to be that way, but now I’m just drawn to the survivors. All good.

Agree the TH350 is head and shoulders above the 2 speed Jetaway. The automatic a bodies up until 1967 came with 2 speed power glides, even the big block cars. Many times at car shows you can profile a car before you even get close to it. Let me guess, a LS motor with a modded TH400 or Tremec, 4 wheel discs, monster sound system with a trunk full of audio equipment etc. I used to be that way, but now I’m just drawn to the survivors. All good.
I'm sure you know the Jetaway and Powerglide are different transmissions. The PG is a a great transmission because power loss is about half of a TH400, I believe. Basically, to drive and enjoy this car, it needs to be right. Sue wants to drive it. And I would be lost without her.

I have been thinking about doing something with this car for a long time. Sometimes you just gotta leave 'em alone. I think I am ready. Unfortunately, parts are getting scarce as Clinebarger points out and knowledgeable help is gone to a large extent.

But no LS in this car!
Maybe Tesla running gear in the Vette? A motor at each wheel? 0 to 60 in 2 seconds? Sheesh!

The JunkAway is a piece of junk at best.

LS motor and stuff would be perfect in a red '74 Corvette Roadster, but ...
Cline, I never knew you were a butcher... Please use an F-85 and don't cut up my beloved Oldsey!
I did think about front disc brakes as the drums on this HEAVY car work good once or twice...
But the 14x6 steelies and dog dish hubcaps make the car...

Yes.....I will butcher a clean rare survivor & not think twice about it. They're the best cars to Resto-Mod as you don't have to use a bunch of junk aftermarket trim & body parts.

Built a '67 Corvette Roadster resto mod out of a fully restored numbers matching 327/4 Speed car once....Used a Paul Newman Chassis which required a lot of cutting & patch panels to clear the C3 frame with C4 suspension. Sure was a blast to drive with a 427 LS7 & a T56!

Yes.....I will butcher a clean rare survivor & not think twice about it. They're the best cars to Resto-Mod as you don't have to use a bunch of junk aftermarket trim & body parts.

Built a '67 Corvette Roadster resto mod out of a fully restored numbers matching 327/4 Speed car once....Used a Paul Newman Chassis which required a lot of cutting & patch panels to clear the C3 frame with C4 suspension. Sure was a blast to drive with a 427 LS7 & a T56!
You're killing me...
The '67 was special because the new car (C3) was not ready. So the '67 got the 15x6 Ralley Wheels, less badging, same engines as '68.
Buyers wanted the new car. I almost bought a perfect Lyndale Blue '67 Roadster, pretty base car, 327 4 speed but I bought the rough '68 cuz I could not afford the $20K for the perfect '67. Who knew?

I think that radio may have vacuum tubes and a relay set up to oscillate to drive a transformer with pulsing DC to make the high voltage for the vacuum tubes. And it may have a generator instead of an alternator, and the voltage regulator for charging the battery may be the old relay type that had adjustable normally closed points that would close if the voltage was too low and cause the generator or alternator to produce power.

No tint in glass, and the glass probably is not any kind of safety glass. I can't see from the pictures, does it have the little window infront of the side windows to catch the air and channel it into the vehicle?
A '64 or '65 will have an alternator and I'd bet money it will have safety glass. As for vacuum tubes - can't say.

Not in Volkswagons... I think GM used generators up to '62 or '63.
All good.
My '63 Chevy II had an alternator, and that was a low cost vehicle, so it's pretty safe to assume every North American GM product had one by '63. No seat belts, no radio, no synchromesh in 1st gear, and no windshield washers, but it did have an alternator.

I know 65 had drum brakes on all 4. But I only think it had fuel master cylinders. Does anyone know if it was duel or single master on GM vehicles back in 65?

I know Honda was real slow to go to duel master cylinders, and stayed single for many years.

Dang spell check. Changed duel to fuel on me and I corrected it, and it snuck fuel back in when I posted it, and edit does not show on my cell phone that I am using now.

Nice ride and style............now days we drive clone cars imho,,,,bring back the 60s for when cars had styling...

I know 65 had drum brakes on all 4. But I only think it had fuel master cylinders. Does anyone know if it was duel or single master on GM vehicles back in 65?

I know Honda was real slow to go to duel master cylinders, and stayed single for many years.
I believe 1967 was the first year for dual master cylinders in GM cars, at least on the A-Bodies.
I had a '66 GTO with a single master.

Back