Fired my Oldsey today...

I think that radio may have vacuum tubes and a relay set up to oscillate to drive a transformer with pulsing DC to make the high voltage for the vacuum tubes. And it may have a generator instead of an alternator, and the voltage regulator for charging the battery may be the old relay type that had adjustable normally closed points that would close if the voltage was too low and cause the generator or alternator to produce power.

No tint in glass, and the glass probably is not any kind of safety glass. I can't see from the pictures, does it have the little window infront of the side windows to catch the air and channel it into the vehicle?

It would not be hard to do a pressure test on the gas tank. Just do not use much pressure at all. At least with pressure test you would not even have to drop the tank.

I think that radio may have vacuum tubes and a relay set up to oscillate to drive a transformer with pulsing DC to make the high voltage for the vacuum tubes. And it may have a generator instead of an alternator, and the voltage regulator for charging the battery may be the old relay type that had adjustable normally closed points that would close if the voltage was too low and cause the generator or alternator to produce power.

No tint in glass, and the glass probably is not any kind of safety glass. I can't see from the pictures, does it have the little window infront of the side windows to catch the air and channel it into the vehicle?
It has an alternator; generators were pretty much gone by '65 in American cars as far as I know. The radio works but the speakers are shot.
I am pretty sure it has safety glass. How safe? Would probably smash my head...
Yes it has the wing windows; they were perfect for flicking out your cigarette butts. Owners actually complained about this in 1968, when wing windows started disappearing.

Last edited:
The interior is trashed. 55 years, rats, etc.
OK, TBT, there is an old time ulpholstry guy in the East San Jose hills, Mr. Morgan. He is licensed by Cadillac and Rolls Royce for restorations. The fitrst time he helped me, with the Vette, he had a 1950 Cadillac Convertible owned by Neil Young. The top was gone, just the beat up frame. There are no patterns; he was making one from scratch. He was half way done with the Caddy's interior.
He installed the seatcovers and carpet on the Oldsey. On the Vette, he cut the seat foam from block. I doubt Mr. Morgan is still alive.
View attachment 36180View attachment 36181View attachment 36182
Lol well you and I have a very different opinion on what a trashed interior looks like.

Such a dump, I'll take it off your hands :ROFLMAO:

Lol well you and I have a very different opinion on what a trashed interior looks like.

Such a dump, I'll take it off your hands :ROFLMAO:
Gotta replace the heater core first, which is a real pain. The inlet hose heeds a restrictor or you will blow a brand new heater core.
You will see green fluid on the tunnel hump carpet. And you will be mad.
Don't ask me how I know.

Gotta replace the heater core first, which is a real pain. The inlet hose heeds a restrictor or you will blow a brand new heater core.
Don't ask me how I know.
I'd bypass the heater core with a U-pipe, who needs a heater in California?

IMO...it would be sacrilege to put a 350 turbo transmission in that true survivor or modify it in any way other than stock! The interior looks to be near perfect for a 55 year old muscle car. I hope you saved the cast iron intake and q jet carb which can be rebuilt. Get the brakes, drive train, suspension, electricals, etc in shape, along with a nice detail and then present it to your wife! It is original only once! PS...And I forgot to mention the “knee knocker” tach in the fourth pic...WOW!

Last edited:
IMO...it would be sacrilege to put a 350 turbo transmission in that true survivor or modify it in any way other than stock! The interior looks to be near perfect for a 55 year old muscle car. I hope you saved the cast iron intake and q jet carb which can be rebuilt. Get the brakes, drive train, suspension, electricals, etc in shape, along with a nice detail and then present it to your wife! It is original only once!
Agree, you can rebuild a car a million times but it is only original once.
I have the cast iron intake (very heavy as the Olds is a wide angle V8) and Rochester 4-Jet carb. The 4-Jet was used just before the QuadraJet and was a completely different carb. My old friend Lars Grimsrud (name dropping!) won't rebuild it for me. This setup will be reinstalled if and when I tear the engine apart.

The original transmission has parts that are no longer available; the switch pitch stall unit. The Jetaway 2 speed is a lousy transmission by all accounts. I had it rebuilt when I got the car; it is leaking and doesn't downshift now. Of course I will keep it but the Trubo 350 will make the car a perfect driver and does not require any modifications.

I have replaced the entire brake system; I had the single master cylinder rebuilt and cad plated. Replaced all the wheel cylinders, linings and hardware. The wiring is perfect, not cut into at all.
The suspension is all good; it was professionallly worked on when Dr. Uyeda owned the car. The body mount cushions are collapsed so it sits a little lower than stock. I have F70 Firestone tires; I want a thin whitewall to make it look right.
It drives very well, with zero steering wheel play. No shakes, wandering, nothing. Pretty close to new in many ways.

This car has to be one of the most original '65 4-4-2s in existance. I love my Oldsey. I like it more than the '68 Vette.
Thanks for the kind words. The 2 tone pale blue and white top is really nice. GM sprayed laquer in those days...

Here's a shot of the 1968 Corvette, aka Wasted $$. Mostly original, L36 427, 4 speed, 3:36 Posi. Only option is the AM/FM Stereo, pretty rare and expensive in 1968. Doesn't work though.

68 side.jpg

Last edited:
Don't ask me how I know.
Non A/C cars are pretty easy, A/C cars on the other hand.....Not so much.

One thing I remember about the old GM vehicles is that back then there were no computer designed parts so the fit of the starter to the engine and flywheel was not an exact fit like now days that you can just buy a starter and put it on. With those old cars often you had to use shims to get the spacing of the starter with the flywheel gear teeth just right. It was common to install the starter a couple of times adjusting how many shims were used each time until you got it right, even if you did pull the inspection pan and try to match it up by sliding the bendix out so the drive gear was engaged with the flywheel gear while you looked at it to check clearance the first time you installed it. Real fun when you are working on your dads car while laying on a large piece of cardboard with snow under it in the winter.

Usually if you used the same number of shims with the new starter that were used with the old starter it worked good enough.

Non A/C cars are pretty easy, A/C cars on the other hand.....Not so much.
On this car, there is a heater core corner screw that is REALLY hard to get to. A friend helped me replace the heater core years ago when we got the car. Dave was a legendary mechanic, one of the very best I have ever known. Unfortunately cancer got Dave about 2 years ago.

I did not use the restrictor fitting and blew the new heater core shortly thereafter.

Back