Fired my Oldsey today...

I think that radio may have vacuum tubes and a relay set up to oscillate to drive a transformer with pulsing DC to make the high voltage for the vacuum tubes. And it may have a generator instead of an alternator, and the voltage regulator for charging the battery may be the old relay type that had adjustable normally closed points that would close if the voltage was too low and cause the generator or alternator to produce power.

No tint in glass, and the glass probably is not any kind of safety glass. I can't see from the pictures, does it have the little window infront of the side windows to catch the air and channel it into the vehicle?
Jim, Cars were not THAT ancient in 1965. I graduated from high school in 1966. My parents drove mostly new GM and Ford products back then. Safety glass had long been mandated by the 60's and I had not seen a tube radio since the 50's. I had a 1966 GTO, only one year newer than this 442. It had a transistor radio, alternator, and safety glass. I don't recall what kind of voltage regulator it had but it never gave me any trouble. They did still use a points type distributor. I can still remember setting the dwell and gap on the points every time I tuned it up, which was often.

They did still use a points type distributor. I can still remember setting the dwell and gap on the points every time I tuned it up, which was often.
I ripped out the MSD and Pertronix points eliminator stuff from my Vette and replaced everything with stock. Points and I still had the original coil. Only way to fly on an original car. The 4-4-2 has Pertronix stuff.

The '65 thru '67 Goats were some of the most beautiful cars ever built. If there were no GTOs there would be no 4-4-2s, etc.

In 1964, Jim DeLorean stuffed the 389 into the Tempest A-Body and wrote GTO all over it. To keep up, Chevrolet put thgether the Chevelle SS and Olds took the Holiday Coupe with Police Special configuration and 4 speed. With front and rear sway bars, this was the best handling A-Body. 7:75x14 bias ply white walls baby!
4-4-2 was 4 speed, 4 barrel and dual exhaust. But the small block cars could not run with the torque monster Pontiacs; in '65 Chevy used the 396 and Olds destroked the 421 to a 400. Automatics were offered in '65, so it became 400 cu in, 4 barrel and dual exhaust..

The 400 engine uses hydralic flat tappet camshaft. There were no solids. I MAY pull this one apart and install a hydrolic roller setup. People talk about hardened valve seats, but this car will not see many miles, so stock is fine. I had hardened valve seat installed in the Vette. It was more necessary because the valves were sunk into the heads.

Regarding the fuel tank, this is a California car, built at Fremont and always garaged. Interestingly, I have owned 3 cars built there: the 4-4-2, a '93 Toyota 4WD at NUMMI and our Tesla Model 3. I have the build sheet for the Olds.
The only rust is a tiny amount at the base of the rear window. Our '68 Corvette, on the other hand, had leaky pin holes in the tank and was a mess.

The trunk has an original tire for the spare and the houndstooth mat in perfect shape. Yes, several bodies will easily fit.

Thanks for all the kind words. This car is Sue's connection to her father; I can never sell it. If it were a Goat or Chevelle SS, it would be worth much more even though this is a very rare car in comparison.
You wanna borrow any of the other cars? Sure, just keep your hands off my Oldsey.
Jeff, what a great car! Are you sure about the Olds 400 being a destroked 421? The Pontiac big block up until around 1970, when they and Olds went to a 455, was the 421. The Olds big block back then was a 425 if I recall correctly. My father had a 1967 Olds Toronado that had a 425 in it. That era of the early/mid 60's is my sweet spot. I graduated in 1966 and had a 1966 tri-power GTO my senior year. Those 442's of that era were the best handling of the GM A bodies.

Jeff, a little research answered the question about the lineage of the 400 engine in your 1965 442. From Hemmings:

"here are some more specifics about the '65, should you find "the hot numbers" enticing.

ENGINE: Only one engine was available in the 4-4-2 this year: The 345-hp 400-cu.in. V-8, rated for 440-lb.ft. of torque. Considered a big-block by design (it is essentially a tall-deck version of the block used for the 330), it was new to the Olds powerplant lineup and was exclusive to the model. Although it's long been perceived as an under-bored version of the also-new 425--which replaced the 394--the two castings were distinctly different."

More good info here: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1965-oldsmobile-4-4-2-2

Last edited:
Jeff, a little research answered the question about the lineage of the 400 engine in your 1965 442. From Hemmings:

"here are some more specifics about the '65, should you find "the hot numbers" enticing.

ENGINE: Only one engine was available in the 4-4-2 this year: The 345-hp 400-cu.in. V-8, rated for 440-lb.ft. of torque. Considered a big-block by design (it is essentially a tall-deck version of the block used for the 330), it was new to the Olds powerplant lineup and was exclusive to the model. Although it's long been perceived as an under-bored version of the also-new 425--which replaced the 394--the two castings were distinctly different."

More good info here: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1965-oldsmobile-4-4-2-2
You could be right. I have never heard the 400 was a tall deck 330. And I was wrong about the 421; it should be a 425. I think Hemmings is wrong. It is my understanding that the 330, 400, 425 and 455 had much in common. Heads, cams and more.

I ripped out the MSD and Pertronix points eliminator stuff from my Vette and replaced everything with stock. Points and I still had the original coil. Only way to fly on an original car. The 4-4-2 has Pertronix stuff.

The '65 thru '67 Goats were some of the most beautiful cars ever built. If there were no GTOs there would be no 4-4-2s, etc.
My dad owned 3 GTO's. (2) 389 CI. 65 GTO's-One was a hardtop, auto, 4 barrel. The other one was a convertible, 4 speed, 3 deuces. He also owned a 67 GTO hardtop, 4 speed, 400, 3 deuces.

My dad owned 3 GTO's. (2) 389 CI. 65 GTO's-One was a hardtop, auto, 4 barrel. The other one was a convertible, 4 speed, 3 deuces. He also owned a 67 GTO hardtop, 4 speed, 400, 3 deuces.
I believe the 3-2 option last year was '66. I believe some '67 owners retrofitted the multi-carb setup.
Your Dad had some great cars! I am crazy jealous.

Just try and buy a decent one today...

Last edited:
B&M as well as TCI TH350 shift kits are terrible, They use a sandwich transfer plate to Dual Feed the Direct Clutch that will eventually leak & cause Direct Clutch failure..... It's best to Internally Dual Feed & use a TransGo SK-TH350 kit to clean up the small leaks at the Support Plate. Then block the 3rd Accumulator.

This is what a B&M kit does to the Separator Plate.....Hydraulically deforms it causing internal leaks.....
O7DQxED.jpg
Very interesting. I had no idea they would hurt a transmission. No wonder I used to have iron filings in the bottom of my 727 torque flight transmission on my 71 red Plymouth Duster 340. I used to beat that nice car like a rented mule and drag raced it all the time at local strip. The transmission never slipped but I think it was starting to go with the filings in the fluid. I had the B&M shift kit in the car as well as headers, intake, exhaust, Holley carb and a few other bolt ons. 13.75 on the drag strip any day all day long.

My wife's father was a Clinical Psychologist (UCLA PhD) at the famous Napa State Hospital in Napa, CA.
In 1965, he was looking for a family car; he went to the Oldmobile Dealer in Redondo Beach and bought a special order 4-4-2.
Anyways, when he died 10 years ago, he gave us his beloved Oldsey; 94K, always garaged. It has to be one of the most original '65s left.
It has been sitting for more that 2 years in our condo's garage not far from our home.
Tomorrow termite sprayers will need to get into the garage so I had to move the Olds.
I bought an Interstate battery from Costco, primed the carb, aired up the tires. Fired right up. Yippie!
I am starting a plan to get the car up to snuff.
You Oldsmobile fans will recall the Jetaway 2 speed with the switch pitch stall converter, aka the Junk-away.
I will swap it out for a good Turbo 350; I understand it fits right in.
I put an Edelbrock manifold and Q-Jet on when I got the car due to the leaky, worn out 4-Jet.
There is a legendary guy in the area, "Henry at Ole's Carb" who will rebuild it for me.
Please excuse the dust...

I am jazzed. Dig the cool curb finder behind the rear tire...View attachment 36176
Check out the razor sharp (metal?) dash.

Back