Firearms and Salespersons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have attempted to make eye contact with the salesman, and the customer, and given body language that clearly stated that I believed the salesman's claim was bull ****.

You did well. It is good to watch out for our fellow customers. I'd want someone to do that for me, especially if I were an amateur on the subject.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
What would you have done in this instance?

Minded my own business. It wasn't your conversation and you simply butted in where you weren't wanted. A little common sense would tell anyone that a "pro" shop is going to be more expensive than a mass merchandising box store, even where sporting goods are sold. If the "customer" you chased away wanted to make a purchase without a busy body butting in, he/she should have been allowed to do so, even if it meant spending an additional $125.

Being in the IT world, I have tripped up many a BestBuy employee by telling the customer to purchase the fastest computer they can afford at the time because the faster model will do everything the slower one can—only faster.

Is this some sort of hobby of yours?

Are you in retail? Your location shows you as being from the Mmid-West. It must be a different part of the Mid-West than where I have lived and visited. There is no such thing as a conversation in a public place, that another person can't join, in the Mid-West that I know.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Minded my own business. ...

Are you in retail? Your location shows you as being from the Mmid-West. It must be a different part of the Mid-West than where I have lived and visited. There is no such thing as a conversation in a public place, that another person can't join, in the Mid-West that I know.

This classic song from "The Music Man" says it all...

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I say you did well. I'd be the first one to call out a liar. Too much of this Bull going on in the world. Call them out!

+1

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I say you did well. I'd be the first one to call out a liar. Too much of this Bull going on in the world. Call them out!
Exactly, my same thoughts. I have only purchased one firearm from a major retailer, everything else has been from local establishments. I know I pay more, but at the one, I know everyone that works there pretty well. I walk in and get greeted royally. Plus my mom feels super comfortable in there which says a lot about a gun store. I can pretty much use their range whenever I want. They will throw in freebies whenever I buy a firearm.
Thanks guys. I shop locally as well. I picked up some reloading supplies yesterday from another pro shop cheaper than I could by ordering them and I like the shop--they have always been straight shooters (no pun intended). As others have said, if the salesperson would have simply said something along these lines--"Our pistols cost more because we include some value added services such as X,Y, & Z with every sale", that would have been totally acceptable. Instead he chose to lie (either intentionally or through ignorance), and that is why I asked the questions. A few weeks ago, he would have been telling me the same story had I asked when I was shopping, but knowing that Glock does not make an "inferior model" for big box stores versus local pro shops and that I did not need/want extra services pointed me to a local sporting goods store where I bought a pair of them.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
And you expected the sales person to be knowledgeable about mechanical engineering and ballistics?
?? Not sure if this is for me, but no, I would not expect them to be knowledgeable about engineering and ballistics. However, in a "pro shop" I would expect them to know the product and not pass some bull along as a fact and lead someone to think that another store selling the exact same product has inferior or cheaper parts in it. Some companies do make different versions depending on where it is sold, but to my knowledge Glock is not one of them (no major firearms manufacturer does of which I am aware). As I said, I detest these types of things and I have had a few like this happen to me when I was younger and would have been thankful for someone to ask neutral questions as I did such that I could make up my mind based upon facts and not sales rhetoric or falsehoods.

Originally Posted By: billt460
A little common sense would tell anyone that a "pro" shop is going to be more expensive than a mass merchandising box store, even where sporting goods are sold.
Then that is what the salesperson should have told the customer. It would have been the truth. Not make up some cock and bull story how his competition is selling pistols with "inferior parts" cheaper. All in some half assed attempt to get him to spend an extra $125.00.
like-small.jpg

The 125 dollar price difference probably has more to do with election year pricing than anything, but they are trying to sell it by spinning this B.S.

Thanks guys. I shop locally as well. I picked up some reloading supplies yesterday from another pro shop cheaper than I could by ordering them and I like the shop--they have always been straight shooters (no pun intended). As others have said, if the salesperson would have simply said something along these lines--"Our pistols cost more because we include some value added services such as X,Y, & Z with every sale", that would have been totally acceptable. Instead he chose to lie (either intentionally or through ignorance), and that is why I asked the questions. A few weeks ago, he would have been telling me the same story had I asked when I was shopping, but knowing that Glock does not make an "inferior model" for big box stores versus local pro shops and that I did not need/want extra services pointed me to a local sporting goods store where I bought a pair of them.

I have developed a nice friendship with the owner of the store I go to. When I picked up the last pair of noise makers, I mentioned some accessories I wanted. He said he would order them and text me when they are in so I could check them out in person. I know it will cost a bit more, but it is really nice having that kind of rapport with a business. Something that I try to do when I can for my customers.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: Doog
That sales guy has a big future in Washington politics.....

Uh-oh, time to shut the thread down

For sure the thread will close, once someone admits he would make a great preacher too.

Ask you to leave and admonish you not to come back.

Originally Posted By: Win

Gotta say that if I was a customer in a store and another customer was asking legit questions like the OP and a worker did that, I would leave and never come back.

Originally Posted By: Win
I see. So when someone asks legitimate questions to cut through the bull, the answer is to tell them to leave and not come back? I was in that same situation a few weeks ago when shopping for my Glock and had I received the answers this guy did, I would have left on my on accord. Also, neither I nor anyone I know would buy anything at that store because in typical sales fashion, they are liars--intentionally or through ignorance.

You did the right thing. I would hope someone would "clarify" something for me if I didn't know. Chances are the guy you helped probably would have gone to some forum and posted about it and been informed/educated that way. Hopefully not after the purchase. If not...well then you helped him out big time. I can't stand [censored] sales people. Especially when they are in a position to properly educate people on the specific products they are peddling.

I would not, and could not just sit back and watch someone be taken advantage of. The world is full of people who work like this unchecked. Look at our present government if you need proof. It's the perfect example of what happens when people accept whatever is thrown at them. Even when they know better.

I see. So when someone asks legitimate questions to cut through the bull, the answer is to tell them to leave and not come back?

Yes. My place, my rules. If you had a problem with it, you should have gone and talked to the owner who makes the policy. Perhaps he / she would have welcomed your input. Perhaps not.

For all you know the guy working the retail counter, almost certainly for a wage too small for putting up with know it all retail customers, was doing exactly what he / she was told to do. Did you even think of the repurcussions to him / her as a result of you getting in the big middle of the transaction?

You're certainly free to invest several million ( minimum ) of your own dollars into an indoor gun range / "pro" gun shop and run it however you want, including letting every expert come in off the street and interfere with your sales staff.

As for don't come back .... go to an onlne indoor gun range. Oh wait, you can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back