Firearms and Salespersons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
I would not, and could not just sit back and watch someone be taken advantage of. The world is full of people who work like this unchecked. Look at our present government if you need proof. It's the perfect example of what happens when people accept whatever is thrown at them. Even when they know better.

+1...the older I get....the more I realize that ignorance really is bliss....

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I see. So when someone asks legitimate questions to cut through the bull, the answer is to tell them to leave and not come back?
Yes. My place, my rules.
My guess is that if your place is ran by using bull instead of facts, then your place will not be in business very long--which is a good thing.

First, you said this:

"I then interjected that Glock was not making a “special cheaper” version of the pistol for the local store, they produce the same pistol for everyone unless there is a custom order. The Glocks in the local sporting goods store were not labeled “Made by Glock for ”, they all came off the same assembly line."

Then you changed your story to this:

"I see. So when someone asks legitimate questions to cut through the bull, ... "

So, interfering or asking legitimate questions? Looks to me by your own words you went out of your way to get in the big middle of something because of your self appointed status as some kind of retail referee.

And you didn't bother to answer if you considered the repurcussions to the employee who may have been rogue, but may very well have been doing exactly what he / she was told to do becuase gun ranges do cost millions and have to be paid for somehow.

So, yeah, I would have told you to hit the road. Go to an online indoor gun range. I'm pretty sure the internet is not going to put those out of business.

My guess is that if your place is ran by using bull instead of facts, then your place will not be in business very long--which is a good thing.

As much as I would love to agree with you, I just can't. I offer up car dealerships as a perfect example. If there ever was a business that runs exclusively on bull$h!t, auto dealerships are it. I sincerely doubt there has ever been a new vehicle sold in this country since Henry Ford invented the Model-T, by ANYONE who actually employed honest sales tactics. No one who is the slightest bit realistic ever believes they, "got a good deal" from a car dealership. You just accept the fact if you think you did good, you just got screwed a bit less than the next guy.

First, you said this:

"I then interjected that Glock was not making a “special cheaper” version of the pistol for the local store, they produce the same pistol for everyone unless there is a custom order. The Glocks in the local sporting goods store were not labeled “Made by Glock for ”, they all came off the same assembly line."

Then you changed your story to this:

"I see. So when someone asks legitimate questions to cut through the bull, ... "

So, interfering or asking legitimate questions? Looks to me by your own words you went out of your way to get in the big middle of something because of your self appointed status as some kind of retail referee.

And you didn't bother to answer if you considered the repurcussions to the employee who may have been rogue, but may very well have been doing exactly what he / she was told to do becuase gun ranges do cost millions and have to be paid for somehow.

So, yeah, I would have told you to hit the road. Go to an online indoor gun range. I'm pretty sure the internet is not going to put those out of business.
No, first I said this "At this point, I was compelled to ask if the pro shop Glocks had custom parts in them. The response was no, they are the standard parts from Glock, but he mentioned they did have some which were customized. When I asked for a clarification of how the parts between the two (sporting goods version versus pro shop), were different and thus justified the $125 difference he could not give me a clear explanation."

Then AFTER the employee could not give a explanation, I said this " I then interjected that Glock was not making a “special cheaper” version of the pistol for the local store, they produce the same pistol for everyone unless there is a custom order. The Glocks in the local sporting goods store were not labeled “Made by Glock for ”, they all came off the same assembly line."

So no, I did not change my story, you just read it that way. I asked TWO separate questions before interjecting a statement. As for any repercussions, whether it was a rogue employee or they were just doing what they were told, bull is bull . and while you may tolerate it, I will not.

As for the stupid comment about an online gun range, that is not even worthy of a response.

As much as I would love to agree with you, I just can't. I offer up car dealerships as a perfect example. If there ever was a business that runs exclusively on bull$h!t, auto dealerships are it. I sincerely doubt there has ever been a new vehicle sold in this country since Henry Ford invented the Model-T, by ANYONE who actually employed honest sales tactics. No one who is the slightest bit realistic ever believes they, "got a good deal" from a car dealership. You just accept the fact if you think you did good, you just got screwed a bit less than the next guy.
I agree with you on the car dealerships, but a small business like a gun pro shop may not be able to weather those types of storms for very long. Sooner or later, the word will get around and people will take their business elsewhere. I am planning to pick up a Glock 43 soon, but it will not be from there.

Bought two Glock 19s (Gen 4) on Monday - small shop. No [censored]. Nice folks. Knowledgeable salespeople.

Very pleased.

But I do frequently see complete [censored] coming from salespeople at gun shops...and I generally try to be quiet...but it's so hard...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Bought two Glock 19s (Gen 4) on Monday - small shop.
What are your thoughts about the different back straps? Will you add one or just leave it bare?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Bought two Glock 19s (Gen 4) on Monday - small shop.
What are your thoughts about the different back straps? Will you add one or just leave it bare?

I thought the pistols were a noticeable improvement over the Gen 3 G-19s I already had. The texture feels more "grippy", they come with 3 magazines (vs. two in the Gen 3), and the mag release is ambidextrous. A G-19 fits my hand pretty well already and I've got a G-19 Gen 3 that I shoot fairly often.

These Gen 4s were bought as a hedge, however, and not really intended for me. They're intended as a future gift to each of the kids as they reach 21, obtain a concealed carry permit, and demonstrate responsible handling. Not that the G-19 is a concealed carry size, just that the completion of the course represents a step along the path of demonstrated responsibility and training.

So, I don't really intend to try out the backstraps, since I'll leave these new, and unfired, in their boxes, for the day when they go to their future owners. They feel great as is, though I've not shot them. I simply bought them now, before the election, after which I anticipate a great shortage in supply of just about everything...including Glocks.

The shop was the local blue label shop. The pistols cost about $445 each. A nice savings if you are eligible and can find a shop that carries them. Most shops don't participate in the program.

Last edited:
I agree with you on the car dealerships, but a small business like a gun pro shop may not be able to weather those types of storms for very long. Sooner or later, the word will get around and people will take their business elsewhere. I am planning to pick up a Glock 43 soon, but it will not be from there.

I agree.

I can think of an exception, and for one specific vehicle:

I was at my local Chrysler dealership and the Sales Manager called a meeting. I overheard the meeting. He told his sales staff that if anybody was coming in to look at the Vipers to answer their questions as best they could but not to try and "sell" them the cars. He said these people would know far more about the Viper than they did if they were seriously interested and trying to sell them on it would drive them away.

Was the first time I ever heard anything like that
smile.gif

.... whether it was a rogue employee or they were just doing what they were told, bull is bull . and while you may tolerate it, I will not.

Good grief, what a complete load of baloney.

If you were truly concerned about this ( claimed ) disinformation, you could have gone to the owner and expressed your concerns. If his policy / her policy was not being followed, the employee could be retrained and dozens of such bull censored transactions could be avoided instead of only one.

But that's not how you did it - and that's apparently not how you do it at Best Buy, either.

I've told you what I would do. It should be clear that I have a low tolerance for bull censored.

If you were truly concerned about this ( claimed ) disinformation, you could have gone to the owner and expressed your concerns. If his policy / her policy was not being followed, the employee could be retrained and dozens of such bull censored transactions could be avoided instead of only one.

Oh come on! It's not his job to try and straighten out the entire company. All he did was walk in and hear a bull$h!t transaction taking place. He called the guy on it. End of story. It's not his place to call a board meeting over it.

Never underestimate the ignorance of the consumer. I have a dozen gun shops within 30 minutes drive. There's one that sounds just like you describe. Over priced with bad sales associates that give bad advice. Guns are almost always $75-$100 over other shops. I occasionally buy ammo there when it's on sale, and every time I stop, this place is busy. It's 2016. There's no reason a person can't do some basic research on product quality and a fair price. For that reason, I wouldn't have involved myself in the conversation.

If a person is old enough to purchase a firearm, then they are old enough to do their own consumer research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back