FIOS speed upgrade

I am looking to upgrade my FIOS speed (as they offer promotions that will keep bill the same and increase the speed). However they are telling me the max speed I can go is 100 Mbs if my router is coax connected to the ONT vs up to 1 Gbs if the router is connected using CAT6 or similar ethernet cable. Problem is, where I want the router is wired with coax, not CAT6. I know I can use a mesh WIFI or similar but I would have thought that coax would not be a limiting factor.

I've got FIOS Gigabit service.

My router is connected to the ONT via Coax. If I hardwire the computer to the router, I get 950+ MBS (pretty close to the advertised GB). Via Wifi, using 5G band, I get 150-200 MBS*. The router wifi throughput is limiting. The coax doesn't appear to be.

I hadn't heard that limitation on router and ONT when I upgraded to FIOS Gigabit service and it really doesn't seem to slow the system down using coax between the two.

*Just checked. 190 MPBS on my laptop using the 2.4 GHz. 70MBS on my iphone using the 2.4 GHz. 220MBS on my iphone using the 5 Ghz.

It depends on which ONT hardware you have. The original "ONT" coax port is MoCA 1.1 while the newer one by Actiontek is 2.0-- which would be capable of gigabit on coax.

The ONT is MOCA 1.1 and the Actiontec Rev I with red band is 2.0. The ONT on MOCA 1.1 is why you can only do 100 mbps on coax. Anything above requires ethernet to the router.

Via Wifi, using 5G band, I get 150-200 MBS*
If you aren't bonding 20Mhz channels, try setting up a 80Mhz wide channel. I get about 500Mb/s throughput via a 5Ghz band 80Mhz channel. Don't bother with bonding 2.4Ghz channels, it's disappointing because of the interference.

It depends on which ONT hardware you have. The original "ONT" coax port is MoCA 1.1 while the newer one by Actiontek is 2.0-- which would be capable of gigabit on coax.

I have the new ONT, my old one broke and was replaced with new one. Small power supply with no battery.

The speed limitation over COAX is what Verizon technical support told me. Not sales or marketing.

Astro14 says they will install gigabit with a coax link, with the right equipment. Their system probably has you flagged as still having an old ONT and/or an old router which are not MoCA 2.0.

I assume you didn't discuss coax type with them, so how would they know? If it's a short direct run the coax type wouldn't matter much.

Last edited:
Could it be RG-6 (the good stuff) coax works up to 1Gbs but the cheaper RG-59 coax only goes to 100Mbs?
No, RG-6 and RG-59 in a home should perform almost identically, assuming the 59 is built of a similar construction to the 6, I've seen some older no name 59 that was garbage though, but in the lengths used in the average home the attenuation difference is insignificant, your problem seems to be you have an older ONT and/or router that only supports MoCA 1.1, verizon needs to upgrade your ONT, if you can get them to run an ethernet cable from the ONT, I'd recommend that over MoCA anyways.

Since I see they upgraded the ONT, sounds like your router or media converter device that's in between your router depending on the exact setup is old and probably only supports MoCA 1.1.

What FiOS Router do you have? Do you have the old Actiontec Router? Have they mentioned anything about upgrading you to a Quantam Gateway?

Router is FIOS Quantum Gateway FIOS-G1100.

So I have a self service upgrade from 75 to 200. And they sent me something UPS which has not arrived yet. No cost as far as I can tell.

How hard is it for you to run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the Router, if it's easy, I'd just do that. Although that Gateway should be capable of handling speeds up to about 300-400mbs since it supports MoCA 2.0 without bonding, although I'd try to not use MoCA if you can easily run an ethernet cable, MoCA is only half duplex in nature and adds additional latency.

How hard is it for you to run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the Router, if it's easy, I'd just do that. Although that Gateway should be capable of handling speeds up to about 300-400mbs since it supports MoCA 2.0 without bonding, although I'd try to not use MoCA if you can easily run an ethernet cable, MoCA is only half duplex in nature and adds additional latency.
Running CAT6 cable needs to be a future project. Not all that easy. I was hoping to just do a quick speed upgrade by having Verizon just change a setting,

What is bonding with respect to MoCA?

Running CAT6 cable needs to be a future project. Not all that easy. I was hoping to just do a quick speed upgrade by having Verizon just change a setting,

What is bonding with respect to MoCA?
It uses two channels instead of one effectively doubling the bandwidth, in my experience you may get upto about 400mbps in real world throughput with MoCA 2.0 and about double that with Bonded MoCA 2.0

Back