Finding VW 504/507 was a challenge.

So TDI in sig is going for a ~600 mile trip this Friday through Monday - quick trip to Savannah and Tybee Island for a quick getaway. Gave car a good once over since it was last in the service back last December and has ~8k on this oil change, last I checked the oil around ~7k mark it looked to be ¾ quart low so figured would at least have a quart on hand for this trip.

4 auto parts stores (Advance, O'Reilly, Autozone then another Advance) later and I snagged the very last quart of 504/507 at store #4. Gold Castrol Edge bottle - the new black bottle Edge 5W30 Euro formula does not meet 504/507 and only has 505/505.01 approvals. No Mobil1 ESP 5W30 available either (think this might have the 504/507 approval), checked a bottle of ESP 0W30 and did not have the 504/507 stamp. $9.99+tax later - I was getting prepped to go pay the ~$15-18/quart at the dealer so my 45 mins of driving from parts store to parts store was worth about $10.

On bright side after letting the TDI rest for a few hours it only took ~½ quart to bring back to top of hash marks on dipstick. Not too shabby for 8k since last oil change - yes I have checked here and there since last service. This is a dealer serviced sled at an excellent VW dealer here in Atlanta, pulling part #'s on service invoices they use the bulk equivalent of the gold bottle Castrol Edge Euro 5W30.

Long story short get a standby quart of 504/507 if you think you will need a top up before your next service.

Napa is your friend for this kind of thing.

My dealer charges less than 7 bucks a quart for any OEM VW oil, is yours really charging that much or did you just presume it would be crazy expensive there?

My dealer charges less than 7 bucks a quart for any OEM VW oil, is yours really charging that much or did you just presume it would be crazy expensive there?
Agree on both points.

504/507 is $6.80 at my dealer.

There is always at least one NAPA nearby with 504/507 in stock. You can also check the AAP store in your town that is nearest the euro dealers. If the store was formerly a Carquest and has a euro dealer nearby, they probably have most of the common maintenance stuff like oil and filters in stock.

Just got that for $24 at Amazon. Free ship. Didn’t need to spend $50 for free ship like at Walmart.

Other deal is the Valvoline LL-iii On Amazon , 3 jugs for $76 W/ free ship.
Screenshot_20211125-120022(1).jpg

Hmmmm I might have to check in with them on pricing. Based on what they charged me for windshield wipers last year for my E-Golf I was assuming a 100% markup on oil too but may be wrong. :ROFLMAO:

Walmart is $35 free shipping and Amazon says 1 to 2 months ship on my prime membership on my computer anyway
Amazon is all over the map with availability for the product. Last order placeD a few weeks ago arrived in a couple days. The next week it said 2 month lead time. Then it went to about $45 with A shorter lead time. Then back to $24.04 with 3 day free delivery but limited quantity.

Amazon is all over the map with availability for the product. Last order placeD a few weeks ago arrived in a couple days. The next week it said 2 month lead time. Then it went to about $45 with A shorter lead time. Then back to $24.04 with 3 day free delivery but limited quantity.
Yeah crazy but at $24 it is a phenomenal deal considering the limited competition.. You just have to be lucky I guess..lol

Yeah crazy but at $24 it is a phenomenal deal considering the limited competition.. You just have to be lucky I guess..lol
Keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse for Valvoline XL-III. Normally $78 for a 3 pack. Shows up regularly on Warehouse (returns I guess). Scored on a $45 free ship deal awhile ago. Arrived looking like new. The Valvoline has the BMW LL-04 cert which the Castrol no longer has.

M​

I just went with ECS tuning’s kit. VW 504, drain plug, and VW filter for ~$70 with free shipping. In stock, quick delivery and zero effort.

VW wipers are like what $30 each online?
For NA residents at least, Rockauto sells the Bosch set for Golf 7 (and many other MQB cars) for under US$15 which is the lowest I've ever been able to find, as long as they're ordered alongside some filters etc. from the same warehouse. Oddly enough many of these Bosch sets (including this one) don't appear on the catalogue anymore, I have to add them from previous order pages.

Just out of interest, how much did they charge for the wipers?
For the two fronts and rear wiper it came to $67.28. Year 2 I went with OE Bosch from FCP Euro that ended up around $26 and they wipe just as nicely as the VW OEM and fit exactly the same on my MKVII, the OE Bosch for the MKV Sportwagen have a bulkier attachment point vs the OEM but hardly a deal breaker for $18 for that set.

VW wipers are outrageous...

Jim Ellis - You're welcome.

LOL yup it was Jim Ellis. We have had excellent service at their Chamblee store so I wasn't too terribly upset about the $67 bill for the wipers but won't be doing that again, the Sportwagen is going to start going to a good independent for service though because service prices for that car are pretty outrageous at the dealer and we just kept it dealer serviced while under CPO warranty which has now expired.

Back