Finally, YouTube channel on Roku 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen it mentioned here, but yesterday I noticed that the YouTube channel is available for my Roku 2. Not the greatest interface, but they have a way to queue up videos from your PC.

Sorry if already posted.

It is about time!

By the way, yesterday I tried to really use youtube from the AppleTV and was shocked to realize that it does not support available play lists. Even if it did, there is no button to go to the next entry in the list.

I presume, Roku has similar restriction too?

Last edited:
Interesting, grass is always greener. I always though those two choices(Roku, apple TV) for a media player were the best. The YouTube interface for my $35 Chromecast is incredible. Netflix and a borrow HBO account work quite well too. Otherwise ho hum but screencasting is okay in a pinch too.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I presume, Roku has similar restriction too?

No, I guess that's an Apple restriction. I can see my YouTube play lists in the Roku 3 app. Haven't yet tried it on the Roku 2 app.

How do you go to next/prev entry? Both Roku and AppleTV are stingy in terms of supporting buttons in their user interface as they assume everybody knows the magic incantation by heart :-(

I assume by "play lists", you mean YouTube's "watch later" videos? You can access this in the Roku's interface by pressing up and down on the remote. On the left side of the screen, you can scroll up and down among your available channels, search, watch later, etc. Watch later videos are one of the selections, and all of your watch later videos show up there.

Here's what it looks like on Roku:

unnamed.jpg

You can click on one of the videos to watch it. Right now, the first video (highlighted in white) is the selected one. I can watch it, and then when finished, click the "
Look at the icons on the left of the screen. The Watch Later videos is selected (the clock icon). If you press up on the Roku remote, you go to that chat thing (which I never use). If you press down, you go to the search (magnifying glass). Press down again from it and you get settings (gear), etc. The five icons near the bottom (and more under those, too, if you scroll that far down) are the icons for channels to which I'm subscribed.

I have the YouTube app on our older Roku HD now as well, in addition to the Roku 3 in our living room. Let me tell you, the difference in processor capability in the Roku 3 is well apparent. I would not recommend anything but the 3 to anyone considering a Roku, unless you intend to use only VERY basic functionality with very limited use. Everything is much faster on the 3 compared with the older model. Even changing between Roku channels is MUCH smoother on the 3, so it's more than just Wi-Fi connectivity. The whole unit is much smoother.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The YouTube interface for my $35 Chromecast is incredible. Netflix and a borrow HBO account work quite well too. Otherwise ho hum but screencasting is okay in a pinch too.

Now that Google opened the SDK for it, Chromecast is becoming more and more useful as more and more apps are popping up. I haven't tried using the Plex app to stream local content, but I'm planning to. It would allow me to stop using my HTPC running XBMC which is somewhat cumbersome to remote control since the box is located in a different part of the house.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I have the YouTube app on our older Roku HD now as well, in addition to the Roku 3 in our living room. Let me tell you, the difference in processor capability in the Roku 3 is well apparent. I would not recommend anything but the 3 to anyone considering a Roku, unless you intend to use only VERY basic functionality with very limited use. Everything is much faster on the 3 compared with the older model. Even changing between Roku channels is MUCH smoother on the 3, so it's more than just Wi-Fi connectivity. The whole unit is much smoother.

+1

I like the Roku2 youtube application! I find a huge playlist on the desktop and then start it playing on the Roku. Surprisingly, depending upon the playlist that I chose, I get a different menu at Roku. As long as I don't interact with the UI, I don't have any problems.

Any such mechanism on AppleTV to continuously play a large playlist?

Just picked up a Roku 3 , I havn`t even had a chance to hook it up yet . Hope the free content will be enough because I don`t want to pay any more while I still have Direct Tv . If , I were the only one living here I Think Direct TV would be gone tomorrow.

Anyone know what the best FREE movie channel is on a Roku 3 ? As for now I`m not interested in any pay channels unless I decide to quit Direct TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back