Finally had to bite the bullet: Michelin Defender LTX M/S

I’m about 130 miles in to ownership now, and yes, they seem like a nice Highway tire so far. 4”+ of rutty slush still is a challenge, but it’s not an M/T tire lol. On plowed highway, even though wet, they’re nearly silent.

I’ve heavily dampened my doors (a layer of KillMat and the SoundSkinz precut door 3-layer dampening, and I’ll have to get my NIOSH app & calibrated mic out…) it’s probably 68dB or so at 60. Very nice. Wet traction seems better than the ‘Kooks… was able to go 3/4 throttle on the ~370rwhp tune with no wheelspin. Thanks guys! Will continue to update but seems like a good tire so far.

I’m about 130 miles in to ownership now, and yes, they seem like a nice Highway tire so far. 4”+ of rutty slush still is a challenge, but it’s not an M/T tire lol. On plowed highway, even though wet, they’re nearly silent.

I’ve heavily dampened my doors (a layer of KillMat and the SoundSkinz precut door 3-layer dampening, and I’ll have to get my NIOSH app & calibrated mic out…) it’s probably 68dB or so at 60. Very nice. Wet traction seems better than the ‘Kooks… was able to go 3/4 throttle on the ~370rwhp tune with no wheelspin. Thanks guys! Will continue to update but seems like a good tire so far.
SubieRubyRoo

Congratulations on your purchase
I do lots of Highway Driving (my Ford Expedition currently has 346k miles), and I'm on my 5th set of Michelin Defenders
I normally run them to 75k mile which is 5/32nds-6/32nds of tread depth, then I sell them on Craigslist for $275-$300
Best of Luck to you

The Michelin Defender LTX M/S is an excellent tire. OEM on my old Toyota Tundra, but also #1 rated by Consumer Reports for years. I went through four sets before recently purchasing Continental TerrainContact HT as Consumer Reports now places them in the #1 spot, with the Michelin tied in the #2 spot with General Grabber HTS60. You will easily get 65 to 70k miles out of a set with proper rotation.

OP, you got an excellent price.

my F150 came with Hankooks...Horrible tire esp in rain,done at 30K
Went to the Defender ,much better tire but they dont balance too well
went for rebalancing too many times,still shakes at 80MPH+

Update: about 700 miles in now due to a couple trips. The LTXs are definitely nice on the road, but I’ve noticed there is much more thump on drop-in impacts like potholes. Stiffer sidewall I assume, because the LTXs currently have about 5psi less than what I ran the Hankooks at. Another thing, and maybe they’ll wear in a little, they are nervous/imprecise in a long straight line. I find myself having to make very tiny corrections to maintain my lane position compared to the Hankooks going very straight. Overall, pretty pleased. Will keep updating.

Update: about 700 miles in now due to a couple trips. The LTXs are definitely nice on the road, but I’ve noticed there is much more thump on drop-in impacts like potholes. Stiffer sidewall I assume, because the LTXs currently have about 5psi less than what I ran the Hankooks at. Another thing, and maybe they’ll wear in a little, they are nervous/imprecise in a long straight line. I find myself having to make very tiny corrections to maintain my lane position compared to the Hankooks going very straight. Overall, pretty pleased. Will keep updating.
I didn't notice that. Did you get an alignment after install? When I got them for my wife's car I didn't get one but I think somewhere during their 72k run I did unless it was before. I did get an alignment done probbably about 1k miles after the CC2s were installed. I would have done sooner but timing didn't work out.

I didn't notice that. Did you get an alignment after install? When I got them for my wife's car I didn't get one but I think somewhere during their 72k run I did unless it was before. I did get an alignment done probbably about 1k miles after the CC2s were installed. I would have done sooner but timing didn't work out.
Some tires can be susceptible to tramlining…especially on certain vehicle platforms. Not necessarily related to alignment.

But early on, this can sometimes be attributed to tread squirm from new tires.

Some tires can be susceptible to tramlining…especially on certain vehicle platforms. Not necessarily related to alignment.

But early on, this can sometimes be attributed to tread squirm from new tires.
Agreed. And just because I didn't notice it doesn't mean others won't.

I think you can take 'em back to DT if less than 1,000 miles.

Back