Finally got to drive my Camaro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
It's offset to the drivers side to clear the 3.8L alternator, It will not work on a V8.

Interesting.

Unless the engine has been re-tuned you'll get stock hp out of that 5.3. So 270 crank hp.
Great project though. I had a 99 firebird. 6 speed. Crazy fast car. Sold it and bought a mustang and the rest is history

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Unless the engine has been re-tuned you'll get stock hp out of that 5.3. So 270 crank hp.
Great project though. I had a 99 firebird. 6 speed. Crazy fast car. Sold it and bought a mustang and the rest is history

Those are '99 specs, My '04 LM7 specs at 295 hp, & 335 ft lbs.

Very nice work. That 5.3 needs gears and some stall speed to get going, be cautious with your cam as torque is already a little short there.

I love the idea of sweat equity, kudos!

Money wise is less than $4,000-5,000 but hundreds of hours of tender loving care was put in the project and the result speaks for itself ==> Awesome.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Very nice work. That 5.3 needs gears and some stall speed to get going, be cautious with your cam as torque is already a little short there.

I love the idea of sweat equity, kudos!

Thanks, I have 3.42's & 25.7" tires, I ran out of money for this project to put a higher stall converter in.

Stock LM7 cam, 190/191 Duration @ 0.50, And 0.466/0.457 lift.
LQ9/LS1 cam, 196/207 Duration @ 0.50, And 0.479/0.467 lift.

Tests show that this cam only cost 8 ft lbs of torque at 2500 rpm, But gained 32 ft lbs & 40 HP at 6,500 rpm.

Here is the test I'm referring to.

But, Yes, I agree these small bore engines are easily overcammed. However this Camaro is a lot lighter than a pick-up.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Money wise is less than $4,000-5,000 but hundreds of hours of tender loving care was put in the project and the result speaks for itself ==> Awesome.

If I don't count what I spent on maintenance items like brakes, wheel bearings, Shocks/struts, & tires.... Your figures are freakishly close, LOL.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Any more pics of the car on the ground, you know side and front shots? Thanks!

I have some but there not good ones, I haven't even washed the car since I bought it. It's in my garage right now waiting for the PCM to get back from the Tuner.....Getting a couple issues ironed out like the gas gauge, MAF sensor rescale, & A/C request.
I was happy as a lark just driving it from work to the house after all that work!

Nice work!
thumbsup2.gif

Most on the f body/LSx sites will just tell people who want to do this swap that it is just NOT worth the time/effort/money, and to just try to find an unmolested/not abused LS1 V-8 4th gen instead.

Great to see that you actually proved them wrong!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm wondering why the V6 air cleaner won't work with the V8. They look very similar.

It's offset to the drivers side to clear the 3.8L alternator, It will not work on a V8.

Correct, but they DO use the same exact size/shape/number panel air filter.

I'm not the biggest fan of this body style of Camaros, but when they're really clean and in good shape with some nice wheels, they're pretty darn nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back