Finally got a new dashcam / installed rear cam too

I am not sure how old the old one is, I think maybe 5 years old. It has GPS and 1080p, but started to act up where the audio is unusable, just crackles.

I like to hear myself singing on my commute, and so it was time to consider a new one.

Came down to the best seller on amazon, the Rove, and the Vantrue X4s. Suddenly the Vantrue had a lightning deal where the overall dropped $15 off of a "sale (we know amazon always does this and most times not legit)" from a couple days ago, so I bought it. Oh, btw, the lightning price has now been in place probably 8 days lol

It was very surprising how easy it was to run the rear USB C cable--that was what I was always hesitant about. I installed car stereo when I was 16 so I have a good idea, but those were Model T's and times have changed.

Didn't drive until today, so I analyzed some of the videos. I thought the guy behind me ran a red, and so I looked at the rear video. He clearly crossed on yellow and was completely clear of the stop line on red. I really like the rear 1080p.

The front is 2160p which I understand is true 4K. 1080x4=2160, see? lol j/k it's the pixels

Overall the units seem high quality. What I did not know until now, is that with the super capacitor, the unit shuts off as soon as power removed. Ah, that explains the kit that is needed if parking videos are desired. The old one shut down after 60 sec, it has a battery.

A downside with the Vantrue is the GPS is another $20, I wouldn't do without, but it should be included, not optional, we all know that. I reused my thin micro USB cable for the old unit, with a micro USB to USB C adapter. I don't like the all in one adapter that comes with the Vantrue, it only provides a USB-A connection to charge with. Currently, I use a USB-A for the gps, and the pd USB-C for a phone...

What is funny is that in the day to day, I am recording my commute, but the videos are never pulled. At the same time, the commute is insane enough that I feel better knowing I am recording. Sometimes, it's the little $175 things in life, that keep us happy. :ROFLMAO:

I feel these days the youth looks at a Ford Contour/Taurus as a we do a Model T, that made me chuckle.

After the wife got hit and run from the rear a while back, this has been on my list.

I keep thinking about one, then realize I need two, front and rear. Then multiply that the 3 vehicles we have now (soon to be 4).

While I do believe in personal responsibility, I’m not thrilled about recording my own stupidity… good incentive to not be stupid, but it still gives me pause. I do need a new GPS, if I could roll it all into one unit, it might just be time.

Do OEM’s have this feature on the to-do list for cars? With backup cameras already mandated, and I think some cars have forward cameras (?), it seems like a minor task, other than adding an SD port (?) to be able to pull the data from (ok that is probably the hardest part, then the legality aspects). When “everyone” starts adding something to a car, usually the OEM smells an opportunity to make money.

I got some personal spending money at Christmas, not much at $150 CAD, but I debated on either spending it on cigars or a dash cam.

My lungs won, so I got the Rove R2-4K for my QX60. I had Dash Cam in my previous Maxima, but I sold the camera with the car. Missed the thing. If these Rove's were paired with 2 nice Dominican cigars...I'd be buying one for the wife's car.

I got some personal spending money at Christmas, not much at $150 CAD, but I debated on either spending it on cigars or a dash cam.

My lungs won, so I got the Rove R2-4K for my QX60. I had Dash Cam in my previous Maxima, but I sold the camera with the car. Missed the thing. If these Rove's were paired with 2 nice Dominican cigars...I'd be buying one for the wife's car.
Hey you always send me some Cubans. Down in the states Nicaraguans are where it at for me.

Do OEM’s have this feature on the to-do list for cars? With backup cameras already mandated, and I think some cars have forward cameras (?), it seems like a minor task, other than adding an SD port (?) to be able to pull the data from (ok that is probably the hardest part, then the legality aspects). When “everyone” starts adding something to a car, usually the OEM smells an opportunity to make money.
I was just having this discussion with my FIL yesterday, at dinner. If they were included there would definitely be some monthly charge for "activation".

That's a smart thing to do and i may do so on my escalade since i was almost in an incident where it would've saved me from getting falsely blamed but my escalade has 360 degree cameras and they could record but they just don't. There's a usb data port which connects to the truck which in theory should allow me to just plug a cheap 1tb portable ssd into so i can record like a tesla but no. Cadillac decided to be asinine and pitiful and not include the piece of software to allow that. I really don't want to run wires and such front and back. I hate Cadillac for that. I understand if they won't allow that while off because it's got a small 12v battery but at least let me record while it's running. GM has some truly brilliant people...

I keep thinking about one, then realize I need two, front and rear. Then multiply that the 3 vehicles we have now (soon to be 4).

While I do believe in personal responsibility, I’m not thrilled about recording my own stupidity… good incentive to not be stupid, but it still gives me pause. I do need a new GPS, if I could roll it all into one unit, it might just be time.

Toyota has it as an accessory on their website for the Camry. Choose the "build it" option and it's under interior accessories. I think it's $375 and a forward only camera tucked in neatly by the rearview mirror. Doesn't mention any other specs like resolution which is important.

The Corvette had / has a dedicated dashcam you could use on the track. It could be activated in valet mode and maybe even regular driving. I think it was for legal reasons but GM had a recall / update to remove the valet functionality as there were privacy issues of recording an unsuspecting driver. I guess their legal team figured it out but I would be mad if that recall was forced on me.

Came down to the best seller on amazon, the Rove,

I have Rove's and Roav's in multiple cars, front and rear. They work great! I even have 256GB memory cards in some of them which is supposed to be beyond the 128 GB and 64 GB max capacity for some of the units. Make sure to buy "high endurance" SD cards as they are designed for constant writing unlike your regular camera SD. They are only a few $ more expensive.

Regarding 4K, I don't know of any true 4K cameras out there unless there is some boutique brand I haven't heard of. Most of those that claim to be 4K are just up scaled and don't actually have a 4K sensor.

One thing to be careful of when wiring dashcams to the rear of the vehicle is not to run the power lines through the headliner. If there were to be a collision the curtain airbags can tear / whip the USB wire across the car possibly causing more injury. I run the cables across the floor and under the door sills or to a USB plug in the cargo area.

Regarding 4K, I don't know of any true 4K cameras out there unless there is some boutique brand I haven't heard of. Most of those that claim to be 4K are just up scaled and don't actually have a 4K sensor.
That is a very good point, I remember hearing that a couple years ago and completely forgot in my decision to go with the Vantrue.

So doing some research yesterday, the Rove is not a true 4K, the Vantrue is a true 4K.

Here are the respective image sensors:

Rove: Sony IMX335, 2592x1944 = 5M pixels

Vantrue: Omnivision OSO8A10, 3840X2160 = 8M pixels

Again it does cross my mind, all my effort is likely and knock on wood to result in recording many videos that will never be seen nor downloaded. And I'm fine with that. :)

Last edited:
I had an Anker F+R one in the focus for some 3 years and then got the Viofo A119 Pro F+R in the CX5 now. The night vision was one of the best when it was released and came with all the extra features built-in that some manufacturers like Garmin require a separate purchase. I've posted a few of my records on YT channels.

If you have a homelink rearview mirror, you can make or buy a USB power splitter for a cleaner simpler look but you lose out on hardwiring it, and parking mode.

I wasn't expecting to need a vid so soon. Where I live there are shared driveways that split off into the single family homes. Poor urban planning in 1951.

My neighbor comes back just as I am backing in, and it shows her running over the corner of her lawn. She accused me of doing that. I told her you just ran over your own lawn, it's on the dash cam and btw it's a true 4K. She said whatever but you did it last time hahahahahahahaha (did not it makes no sense it would be backing in from the other side of the road, if anything, we clip our own corner backing in on purpose, to avoid what she says) :ROFLMAO:

I wasn't expecting to need a vid so soon. Where I live there are shared driveways that split off into the single family homes. Poor urban planning in 1951.

My neighbor comes back just as I am backing in, and it shows her running over the corner of her lawn. She accused me of doing that. I told her you just ran over your own lawn, it's on the dash cam and btw it's a true 4K. She said whatever but you did it last time hahahahahahahaha (did not it makes no sense it would be backing in from the other side of the road, if anything, we clip our own corner backing in on purpose, to avoid what she says) :ROFLMAO:
One more reason to put up a Ring cam or the like in the driveway.

One more reason to put up a Ring cam or the like in the driveway.
Seriously, any suggestions? Perhaps not requiring hard wiring? Again it's one of those things we all think about, they're going to rack up tons of useless vids, but the one time they're useful....I think it's on the to do list

Seriously, any suggestions? Perhaps not requiring hard wiring? Again it's one of those things we all think about, they're going to rack up tons of useless vids, but the one time they're useful....I think it's on the to do list
They actually make one now that has a 110v plug on the end of a 10ft cord. So you can place it outside and just plug it into an outlet. It does not have a battery in it so it has to be plugged in. You can always use a Spotlight Camera with a battery but that requires diligence in keeping it charged. Blink, Kasa, Arlo, Wyze....sky is the limit I would just research based on your ease of install and intended use. I have a Ring Floodlight Cam that is made to be hardwired that I really need to install and I have been toying with getting another for our driveway since our doorbell can't cover all of it.

Back