Finally! A sane voice in the EV world…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sold on a completely EV only world. Not yet anyway and I am not completely against it either. The infrastructure just isn't where it needs to be and battery charge time on way too many EV's is still too long.

Plus the acquisition cost of an EV put the vehicle out of the price of too many people right now until the cost comes down to a more affordable price. And installing a charging system at your home at your own cost. I do believe that an EV world is further away than many believe but we'll get there in due time.

“That silent majority is wondering whether EVs are really OK to have as a single option. But they think it’s the trend so they can’t speak out loudly.” - Toyoda

Translation- “The sane are being browbeaten by the insane.”

I have nothing against EV’s, but everything must happen in due course.

That's where I'm at. Too much top down, forced approach usually doesn't turn out well. We'll likely see both side by side for quite some time with technologies evolving.
There’s several words to describe this mindset (which I won’t mention directly bc of board rules), and we’ve seen the disastrous results throughout history which will repeat here as well if left unchecked: megalomaniacal fanaticism for the cause.

I’m fine with my tax dollars being used to subsidize the effort to modernize transportation. Without it the adoption rate would never be enough and advancement likely be hampered. Alternatives to fossil fuels will need to be incorporated at some point. I’d rather not be stuck with unproven and unaffordable tech at THAT point. At this point I think we’re headed in the right direction, meaning we will reach a point where electrification can scale up more quickly if demand rises quickly. That’s currently not the case and wasn’t even thought about 10 years ago.

I live 10 miles from work and family lives around 3 hrs away, max. For my family, one of our two vehicles will likely be an EV when a replacement is due (caveat: I’m expecting that to hopefully be the case in 5+ years, based on our oldest vehicle being a ‘14 with 101k miles). At least for the foreseeable future I plan to have one vehicle a gasser.

Sadly this will be taken out of context by the Anti-EV crowd. The first world economies and China account for the majority of GHG emissions (CO2) not to mention worsening air quality (Cities in Europe couldn't figure out why air quality was not getting better when "clean diesel" was introduced, Answer: VW Dieselgate). Moving these advanced economies towards significant electrification will reduce on net GHG emissions. That doesn't mean that Botswana, Brazil, Indonesia etc must also go EV any time soon.

Toyota is worried. They're worried that they cannot compete in an EV world, and they're worried about losing the ability to use Western markets as a subsidy for selling ICE into second/third world countries Toyota is also afraid of competition with cheaper EV rivals out of China who will also serve many of these markets.

EV's are inherently more reliable than ICE. This levels the playing field between Toyota and many of its competitors.

The anti-ev crowd can rant all they want with their whataboutism but it doesn't change anything regardless of how hard they complain.

Whataboutism - the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counteraccusation or raising a different issue.

Looks like the mandates in Canada are accelerating and they have targets that are only 3 years away. Meanwhile Alberta had a Power Alert due to the cold weather. You can’t make this stuff up. Currently EV sales are at 7 percent as we enter into a potential recession. Also, consumers are about to get head slammed by rising mortgage rates. I wonder what “ THEY “will do, send out the EV police?

45C64D90-8425-42DB-9565-D359E2043F3E.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like the mandates in Canada are accelerating and they have targets that are only 3 years away. Meanwhile Alberta had a Power Alert due to the cold weather. You can’t make this stuff up. Currently EV sales are at 7 percent as we enter into a potential recession.

View attachment 131922
Looks like aftermarket parts suppliers for ICE vehicles will be ramping up production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back