Filters- higher flow rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that filtration and flow are important. For whatever reason i consider flow more important. Which off the shelf filters have higher flow rates?
Current filters:
2005 focus st-fl910 motorcraft
2004 altima -eao12 amsoil
I recently bought K&n oil filters for later use in both.

Originally Posted By: JCM35
I know that filtration and flow are important. For whatever reason i consider flow more important. Which off the shelf filters have higher flow rates?
Current filters:
2005 focus st-fl910 motorcraft
2004 altima -eao12 amsoil
I recently bought K&n oil filters for later use in both.

I can tell you just about any filter you list will have way, way way more flow rate than necessary.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I can tell you just about any filter you list will have way, way way more flow rate than necessary.

In most cases that will be true ... but in a few rare cases it can make a difference. For instance, it seems that Subaru engines have a very high oil flow rate capability, and in those cases either the filter needs to be very free flowing and/or the filter's bypass valve needs to be set considerably higher than on most filters. The Subaru bypass spec is 23 psi ... most conventional oil filters have a 8 ~ 11 psi bypass setting.

Unfortunately, the oil filter manufacture’s rarely if ever publish the actual PSID vs. Flow Rate performance of their filters. They will usually tell you it’s “proprietary information”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back