Filters Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
He says "A M SOIL" for Amsoil. Lost credibility.

You're making fun of his speech impediment!!!!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Wix XP has the worst efficiency of them all, so good job on picking a "filter"

I've been at a loss finding filter efficiency figures for the Wix XP filters. Can you please elaborate? How bad are they?

901Memphis, please provide details of your claim. I reviewed the info for 11 popular filters at the following :

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-eng...g63t-4b11t.html

WIX has a nominal rating or 20 microns. Many are much higher. Only 2 are better. They are Hastings at 18 microns nominal and Amsoil at 20 microns absolute ( assume a bit less nominal, not listed ). BTW Amsoil has WIX listed as the manufacturer.

Last edited:

What's funny is when people call it "aee emm ess -Oil" haha

You think he would break down and buy a real filter cutter instead of butchering them open.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

You're making fun of his speech impediment!!!!

How so???

That's what nominal means, just like I said. So what's your point ? At worst, the WIX comes in 3rd of the 11 evaluated. There are 2 very slightly better.

Originally Posted By: SteveGG
That's what nominal means, just like I said. So what's your point ? At worst, the WIX comes in 3rd of the 11 evaluated. There are 2 very slightly better.

"Better"? As in?

As in catches more of smaller particle contaminants. WIX is 20 micron nominal. This means 50% of 20 micron stuff is stopped on each pass. Hastings is 18 microns nominal and Amsoil is 20 microns absolute ( assume a bit less nominal, not listed ).

Originally Posted By: SteveGG

The Wix XP is the worst first in terms of efficiency on the market that I an aware of.

901Memphis, as before, please provide details of your claim about WIX XP. 20 micron nominal is not that bad. Only 2 of 11 considered were slightly better !

20 micron nominal is terrible. The Wix XP is 50% @20 microns, even their own regular cellulose based Wix/Napa gold is 95% @20 microns. If you call the Wix tech line they will tell you the regular Wix/Napa gold is their top tier filter which is why it has a much higher efficiency, they designed the XP for longer drain intervals.

Compared to the other microglass filters the Amsoil and Royal Purple is 98.7% @20 microns, the Fram Ultra is 99.5%+.

You can't compare oil filters much by cutting them open. You compare them based on their holding capacity and efficiency which most manufacturers hide.

Wix removed all the beta ratios from the filter specifications because of all the bad publicity they received here. The information can only be obtained by emailing or calling them. It's also found doing a Google search where we have covered this numerous times.

Personally I have bought the regular Wix/Napa gold filters before so I have no problem with Wix in general, but knowing what I do now i try to get higher efficiency filters for the same money.

but knowing what I do now i try to get higher efficiency filters for the same money.

+1.

Fleetguard is a well-respected brand, so I pulled up their filter for a common application of mine awhile back.

20% @ 10 microns
68% @ 30 microns

crazy2.gif

Thanks, but I'll stick with the Fram Ultra.

Yes but the fleet guard synthetic line has better efficiency I believe

I was making a comparison on equivalently price filters.

Unlike Fram Ultra, their synthetic models are not available across a wide spectrum of applications. Even then, they're considerably more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back