Filter Warranties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of additional details regarding various manufacturers' warranties for oil filters?

As far as I can tell, Wix provides the clearest warranty, covering damage to the engine if their filter fails. NAPA Gold+Silver provides what looks like a rebranded Wix warranty.

O'Reilly's Microgard provides a warranty which appears only to cover their filter (not the engine?) if it fails?

I couldn't find any details about Fram's warranty coverage.

Here's how the warranty works...
You remove filter,you send filter into their tech lab.You get a report back.From the filter they can tell you if the filter caused any problem.They will NOT admit any fault nor credit the filter back (refund money) as it assumes a defective filter and their liability is open ended.

It is not an impossible feat to make a warranty claim against a filter manufacturer or brand distributor and actually get restitution if the filter is actually at fault.

Both Amsoil and Champ Labs back in the day were know to have paid out for claims of damage caused by an actually bad filter.

The whole process though requires some patience and that is where most screw it up. To many people want to go hack saw cutting open a filter before a filter manufacturer has a chance to recover it whole and test it themselves.

Most consumer do even know they have to first contact the filter maker and let the filter maker send out a specialized packaging recover kit and not just send it in blindly without notice.

^^^ Thing is, if I can't see what's wrong inside (if there is something wrong), or see the tests done with my own eyes then how would I know their "conclusions" were truthful?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Thing is, if I can't see what's wrong inside (if there is something wrong), or see the tests done with my own eyes then how would I know their "conclusions" were truthful?

On the flip side, how can you hack open a filter and then expect the filter maker to draw upon your conclusions it was damaged by them and not you?

It is not perfect system but with most claims of defect and finding root cause, it is within the manufacturer right to recover the product intact and unmolested for testing.

Unless you got deep pockets for litigation and independent test on your own, it is a leap of faith to rely on the filter maker to follow a defined process for test and draw conclusions from that process.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

On the flip side, how can you hack open a filter and then expect the filter maker to draw upon your conclusions it was damaged by them and not you?

It is not perfect system but with most claims of defect and finding root cause, it is within the manufacturer right to recover the product intact and unmolested for testing.

Unless you got deep pockets for litigation and independent test on your own, it is a leap of faith to rely on the filter maker to follow a defined process for test and draw conclusions from that process.

In all fairness, many of us have real filter cutters that do a pretty precise job of opening the filters with no shavings or damage to the element, but i see what your saying.

In some cases you can't tell. If there are bits of filter media everywhere, that might be indicative.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

In all fairness, many of us have real filter cutters that do a pretty precise job of opening the filters with no shavings or damage to the element, but i see what your saying.

I do not doubt that many do a good if not better job on their own of opening a filter. That is just not the process.

I deal with aircraft parts all day long and in this industry, there is what we call "Root Cause, Corrective Action". With most ISO rated companies, it is a defined process of identifying a problem at it's core and correcting for future mistakes. I cannot take apart a hydraulic cylinder or open up a an avionics component and say to vendor, "fix it" and expect the vendor to accept the charge back. That is not how it works.

A vendor/manufacturer has a defined process to receive back the suspect part unmolested a perform testing either destructive and/or non-destructive to figure out the defect if it so exist or determine it is external to the component and component meets spec. Usually a detailed report ensues showing what testing is done and whether charge is taken with the customer or the vendor/manufacturer.

In the case of oil filters and the average consumer facing an expensive repair or engine replace, their is always a suspect that negative news not finding in the consumers favor means the filter maker is rigging the results. That is speculative at best and besides internet smack talk, has no real foundation of truth.

Many things can cause a filter to fail that is external of the filter itself. Can range from incorrect weight application, installation error and failure of bypass and check valves internal to the engine causing a pressure spike that backs up to the filter. All the average consumer knows is has either a screwed up filter that may or may not be the cause or internal engine problem that requires significant diagnosis and cost the consumer can not afford. So the consumers hopes and prayer hinges the filter is bad but when it is not, the filter make must be fraudulent with no proof themselves to back it up other than their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back