Filter removal: hot or cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get a wrench on the filter in my car and always hand tight 3/4 turn after seating. I know once you screw the filter on and then run the car it gets on tighter.

So when is the best time for removal? Hot, I can use a blue shop towel and work in short bursts to get it off, wait a little while and do it warm, or let the oil drip for an hour or two and go at it cold.

I usually go at it hot and about have to bust a *** to get it removed.

Last edited:
Hot is better, means everything has been moving and is still in suspension (IMO)

I had the same issue on my 06 CTD, I spent the $8 for a adjustable chinese filter wrench....hooks right up to a socket wrench and grabs the filter (on my CYT at least) 3 inches up the side and twists it right off...then I finish removing by hand.

On my Subaru the filter is surrounded by headers and cats so I put on a fan and cool the whole area then take off the filter once it is cool.

I drain the oil hot and this fan system allows safe clean removal of the filter.

Everything else I work on the filters come off hot.

It does not matter hot or cold so do whatever is easier for you.

Take care, Bill

I normally let my oil drain for hours, so the filter is always cold when I remove it. If you don't have a tool to do it, and you're just using your hand then why not let it cool to a tolerable temperature so you can get a good grip on it.
wink.gif

No, I know oil flows better hot but thats not Im asking. Will it be easier to remove it one way or another.

Id have to guess hot because when you want a bolt out you heat it up, right? But then again, once it gets hot to begin with is what makes it so tight.

Filters seen to come off fine when cold ... I highly doubt there is much difference in required effort to remove it hot vs cold.

Get a filter wrench. It's $8 or so for a set at HF. Then you can get the thing off even when the technicians at Iffy Lube called out the trained monkeys.

I do it either hot or cold. Whenever I need to change the oil is whenever it fits my schedule. It doesn't matter on my car since the filter is in the open.

Cold! You always break them lose cold before you even start the engine that day. This way you can get it off when hot! You would have to forarms like Popeye the Sail Man to get mine off hot!

Are you experiencing the filter removal program with the car in your signature?

I have a '96 SL2 and I always change my oil when the car is hot. I've never had a problem. If you use a strap wrench, you should have no problems with removing the filter. I always lube the oil filter gasket and tighten the filter one full turn when I install it.

Hot.

On the E30, I'm running a ford sized filter, as they are way cheaper than the one for the BMW. It sticks out just enough past the headers that it can be gripped easily.

On my Nissan, it's a cartridge filter, and Nissan conveniently put a half inch drive in the end of the housing. No touchee. Line up a couple of arrows and two drain holes line up and the filter drains into a tundish.

Oil I want to get while hot. Oil filters I'm not as particular about. Especially in summer I may let it cool (not cold) a while because of how hot everything (exhaust) surrounding filter area and filter itself is.

I usually drain my oil when hot, and leave it draining for about 20 min which gives the exhaust area to cool, then i take off the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back