Filter Pics ARX rinse phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that wave in the media due to your handling of the filter?

Is that a seperation that I see about center frame/pleat in this image??

-

No, the deformation was there when I cut the can open.

You see the seam where the media comes together, but it was not separated at all. I even took the gloves off and tried to poke my fingernail in it. It wouldn't separate.

It is a very packed filter. I like these filters, but the deformation had me wondering if maybe I should try a filter with meshed backing in it, like a PureOne.

Part Number: 51347
UPC Number: 765809513471
Principal Application: Ford Courier (72-82), Hyster, Komatsu, Merc. Bobcat (75-79), Pinto (75-79), Thermo-King, Yanmar Excavators
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
15597 2.734 2.430 0.226

Here's what it calls for:

Part Number: 51334
UPC Number: 765809513341
Principal Application: Acura (88-05), Chevrolet Spectrum (85-88), Dodge (91-96), Geo (89-93), Ford (88-96), Honda (72-05), Hyundai (89-05), Isuzu (85-04), Kia (01-05), Mercury (87-91), Mitsubishi (89-98), Subaru (87-05), John Deere, Kioti, Kobelco, Komatsu, Kubota, Onan, Toro & Yanmar Diesel
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top: 3.252
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Question about the Wixes -- The By Pass sits on the element's end cap -- metal to metal. Does anyone think there would be a leak from the dirty side to the clean side? I read this on the mopar site first, but have not seen any real world results...

1992 Honda Civic 1.5L

Used ARX. No sludge in media. I didn't think I would have sludge, because I drive mostly on the highway @ 3,000 rpm of a 6,000 rpm redline and 75-80 mph. Car is ALOT more peppy. The oil used to rinse was NAPA 10W-30 for 2,000 mile rinse phase.

So, this filter has only 2,000 miles on it when I cut it open.

I think this filter is a very good filter. There is some deformation, but when I was cutting it, it was tough to cut through. Very nice density to it.

ALSO, ARX FIXED A MAIN SEAL LEAK SO I AM VERY HAPPY WITH ARX. ARX DID WHAT IT WAS SUPOSSED TO DO.

I think the next filter I'll try is a PureOne.

-

-

-

-

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Is that an 'oversized' oil filter ??

That looks very big compaired to the standard Honda filter.

Yes, it is oversized. I'm also going to try oversize filters on a 2002 PT Cruiser.

On the cruiser, I'm looking at a 51460 or a 51329.

There is so much room on the cruiser, I almost got a 51773 to fit. But there was a slight bulge on the side of the oil pan, it just wouldn't fit. Length wise, a 51773 would fit and then some.

Any comments on oversize filters?

quote:

Well, the general consensus is that, assuming that quality and all other things being equal (proportional), ..the larger filter will have increased holding capacity, realize less insult due to stress on the media, and the oil passing through it will be at a lower velocity. This naturally assumes that the bigger filter indeed has more media in it. I can't see how it would hurt. It may not be the issue that we make of it.

quote:

Stumbling blindly forth where others fear to tread :^)

Good call, Gary

What are you trying to say, pal?
confused.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by CQUG4R:
[Yes, it is oversized. I'm also going to try oversize filters on a 2002 PT Cruiser.

On the cruiser, I'm looking at a 51460 or a 51329.

Just make sure that you don't create a road impact risk. Some of them on the earlier ones will protrude too low and be exposed. I offered a Chrysler mechanic friend a box of oversized ones for his Neon and he politely refused and related the story of someone getting bit with a catastrophic oil failure when the oversized filter took a direct road debris hit. The later ones do safely specify the larger can, so it's a non-issue past a certain model year (I don't remember which).

Otherwise, whenever you can get a larger element to fit, it's generally a good move. I just love seeing an FL-1A on the 3.2.

The First Gen Neon can handle a PH16 size filter without protruding below the oil pan. It's a step up from the 3614 (I think) size. The FL1A size is about an inch too low for comfort.

If the PT Cruiser has the 2.4 in it ..there's no worries. The filter is horizontal ..not vertical. The engine has to be taken out before the filter can get hit ..unless you're in some odd backing up situation ..and with that you would have to mangle a bunch of other stuff first.

You are a bold one, in deed.

You do things that might make others hesitate.

For that, you are the BOLD ONE .

Hey, you were the one who helped me with my oil filter questions. And you suggested that larger oil filters probably won't have any negative effect.

And, they don't. Just little effects like...
longer OCI because of larger media...
a little (or in some cases, alot) more oil capacity...

You Da Man, Gary

quote:

had me wondering if maybe I should try a filter with meshed backing in it, like a PureOne.

I did not think the PureOne had a mesh backing. The only filter I know of that has a wire mesh backing is the Fram X2.

quote:

Originally posted by CQUG4R:
...you [Gary] suggested that larger oil filters probably won't have any negative effect...

Shush, don't say that to loudly or our buddy Gary may incur the wrath of FG.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back