Filter options for 2015 Ford Escape 2.5 liter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Family member just purchased. FL-910S is specified on O'Reilly website. Wondering if FL-400s would also work OK.

WIX.

Motorcraft are made by Tearolator IIRC.

I would not put a filter on my car that has major known issues at this point.

Don't listen to the Purolator Fanbois.

A torn filter isn't a filter.

Well, I have cut open a FL-400S with over 6k miles and it looked pretty good. I have a stock of Motorcraft filters and will do oil changes on the Escape after the one included dealer oil change.

I would use the fl910, get them at walmart or autozone for cheap. The purohaters were hating on fram a couple of years ago. Any paper filter media can fail but is there proof of engine damage from it? I have installed literally thousands of these filters and haven't seen an engine failure caused by them.
Ford actually had a ssm about aftermarket filters coming apart and blocking oil passages in the 5.4l 3 valve heads causing problems with the vct system.

OK, to keep in warranty compliance I will use the specified FL-910S. Next Lots O' Loot type special O'Reilly does, I will stock up.

I found a good home for that Castrol Synblend that AutoZone clearanced late last year at $1 per quart. Meets the specification. Good deal. Less than $10 dollar oil change with filter. 5k mile OCI sound good?

I use Royal Purple and Purolator Synthetic in my '12 Escape. They have worked very well. As for the forum, try Escape city. They seem to have a lot of good info the few times I have been there.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
OK, to keep in warranty compliance I will use the specified FL-910S. Next Lots O' Loot type special O'Reilly does, I will stock up.

FYI you are not required to use Motocraft oil filters to stay in warranty compliance. Until I saw the rash of tears I would have had no problem using or recommending Purolator made filters (been using Bosch for several years myself).

But now I'm not so sure. I've seen torn MC filters on BITOG. To play it safe, my future oil changes on my two Fords are getting Fram Ultra filters which are well made and highly regarded around this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back