Filter minder suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been toying around with the idea of adding a filter minder to my Toyota 4Runner. Not out of necessity as its survived the first 316,000 miles of its life without one but more based on curiosity.

I have the option of mounting it with a grommet in the plastic tube that supplies air from the mechanical door style air flow meter to the throttle body, or in the metal air filter lid pre or post air flow meter. If I mount it in the lid it would measure purely the air filter restriction and not any restriction caused by the air flow meter. Which would be preferred? Or does it not really matter that much?

Also if I were to mount it to the metal lid I'd be interested in mounting it with a bulkhead fitting of sorts to ensure a nice seal, is that available or an option? The thought of just a grommet worries me a little as a possible place for dirt ingestion.

Additionally I'd like to add one to my fathers 2010 3500 Ram with the 6.7 as it didn't come with one from the factory like his 2006 Ram did.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated as always.

His 2010 has one. It is just electronic instead of having a visible gauge. ECM will cry when restriction gets to that point.

Restriction gauges should be after the filter, but before any other point of restriction, including tubing. You'd be surprised how much restriction tubing can carry.

Using a good, tight grommet has not had any effect on the silicon levels in my UOA's. Factory uses them with no problems either. Just make sure the grommet fits tight, and has decent depth to it. I use a little grease to ensure a good seal.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
His 2010 has one. It is just electronic instead of having a visible gauge. ECM will cry when restriction gets to that point.

Restriction gauges should be after the filter, but before any other point of restriction, including tubing. You'd be surprised how much restriction tubing can carry.

Using a good, tight grommet has not had any effect on the silicon levels in my UOA's. Factory uses them with no problems either. Just make sure the grommet fits tight, and has decent depth to it. I use a little grease to ensure a good seal.

How is the need for a new air filter denoted on the newer Ram trucks that the computer monitors? MIL/CEL? If so I'd love to get him a way to monitor without having to rely on a MIL to pop up to service the filter. I did order 2 Filter Minders on Amazon for $18ea in WIX with the grommet style mount. Hoping to add one to my 4Runner and Dads diesel, possibly even the 04 Lexus in the stable as well as that car is a huge pita to change air filters on. Not needing to open it up to check it and possibly introducing dirt in the process would be fantastic.

After the filter and before anything else. Use some air filter grease, the grommet that comes with the filter minder and be sure to drill the correctly sized hole:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor6_07FEB13_zpsa6150e28.jpg

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor8_07FEB13_zps15b4c87d.jpg

And I hope you purchased the 10 inH2O filter minder designed for gasoline engines and not the 25 inH2O model designed for diesel engines:

FilterMinder_06OCT15_zpsih65itmg.jpg

HTH

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

How is the need for a new air filter denoted on the newer Ram trucks that the computer monitors? MIL/CEL? If so I'd love to get him a way to monitor without having to rely on a MIL to pop up to service the filter. I did order 2 Filter Minders on Amazon for $18ea in WIX with the grommet style mount. Hoping to add one to my 4Runner and Dads diesel, possibly even the 04 Lexus in the stable as well as that car is a huge pita to change air filters on. Not needing to open it up to check it and possibly introducing dirt in the process would be fantastic.

"Service Air Filter" will be displayed on the overhead console. I'm not sure if it monitors pressure, or just trips at a certain point.

It's hard to tell the markings on the Wix gauge I bought from Amazon, however from the Donaldson Filter minder site,

Gasoline engine calibrations can vary depending on the engine size and air cleaner design. Small gas engines (2-5 HP) should usually limit restriction to 3 inches maximum, 6-25 HP should limit filter restriction to 8" maximum, and most gasoline engine powered automobiles 20 inches maximum.

That being said even if I get a "Diesel" one that reads to 25" I will just use some red tape to make the red start at 20" instead of 25". No harm no foul on that.

I added a Wix minder to my Matrix.
With 38k miles on the filter it reads between 8" and 11".
I plan to change the filter when it reaches 15".

Filter Minder is installed on the 1987 4Runner, I left the old filter installed that I think is dirty enough to need changed just to get a baseline of how much vacuum it draws. If it's less than 15" H2O I will leave it in service until it reaches 15" and then replace. Pics, or it didn't happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back