Filter Gasket not attached to Can...

ordered a new AC Delco oil filter from Rock Auto and it arrived in a torn open AC Delco box with packing tape over where the top flap of the box would be...the filter appears fine but the gasket is loose/not attached to the can...is this an issue or will tightening the filter snug the gasket into the groove and perform just fine...

I realize this seems like such a small problem but I don't recall ever getting a filter with a loose can gasket...for the record, the gasket does not appear damaged in any way and it just appears the little "tabs" that usually keep the filter gasket attached to the can just didn't...no damage (visible) there either...

thanks for any thoughts or experiences you care to share...

Bill

When the gasket is reattached and filter turned thread end down, does it fall off the can? If not, no problem. 'Imo', as long as it's the correct gasket and can be mounted with it in place, in the filter recess, it's fine. Usable. Never had a filter as described from an online purchase with delivery. Why where practicable, prior to purchase filter inspection always best practice.

Make sure the loose gasket is the right size to fit the groove, and not some random gasket RA threw in the box. It should pop back in the groove without much effort, and stay in the groove without falling out by itself. If it doesn't, then it could be the wrong gasket.

it is fine and I thank you all for your responses...the gasket is still partially attached to the can and I found that a Mobil 1 filter I already had for another car fits this car as well...the gaskets appear identical in size and design...

If I can figure out how to contact RockAuto, I'd like to tell them about this as my purchase wasn't supposed to be a return and I noticed a black ink pen asterisk written on one of the bottom flaps of the OE box but I think and based on your responses that this'll be fine...

thanks again,

Bill

it is fine and I thank you all for your responses...the gasket is still partially attached to the can and I found that a Mobil 1 filter I already had for another car fits this car as well...the gaskets appear identical in size and design...

If I can figure out how to contact RockAuto, I'd like to tell them about this as my purchase wasn't supposed to be a return and I noticed a black ink pen asterisk written on one of the bottom flaps of the OE box but I think and based on your responses that this'll be fine...

thanks again,

Bill
You'll have to use the "Order Status & Returns" button on the website (top of the home page). Good news is, you'll likely get a credit out of it & they're unlikely to want the old one back. I would watch REALLY CLOSE for leaks on it the first few days, but I'd run it.

I would never buy filters online. A pig in a poke, you never know what you are going to get. Not worth it to save so little.

I would never buy filters online. A pig in a poke, you never know what you are going to get. Not worth it to save so little.
I understand but have been ordering oil filters along with other parts from Rock Auto since 2008 and this is the first time I received an already opened box anything from them...my experience with them has been first rate...

bullwinkle...thanks as always...I've contacted Rock Auto through the Order Status and Returns...I was hoping to just lest them know their supplier shipped out an open box/returned part but if a return is the only way to let them know that, so be it...thanks again everyone

Bill

started the process with Rock Auto...they advise to keep the filter for 2 weeks in case they ask for a return but it seems unlikely they will...issued me a refund on the filter itself...Rock Auto is okay in my book...hopefully they can contact their supplier and keep others from getting returns as new or whatever this was...

thanks everyone

Bill

just to follow up, I stopped at Walmart and checked a new AC Delco on the shelf and the gasket was better attached but not by much...it wouldn't take much to pull it free of the can...I didn't

thanks for the responses everyone

Bill

thought I'd conclude this thread by saying I had this filter installed on the GF's vehicle little over a month and 500 miles ago...no questions or problems from my installer and has held up without leaking since installation...

I appreciate the responses I received on this Forum...thanks again,

Bill

The only potential problem might be if it sticks to the engine on removal and you don’t notice. Of course, anyone reading this pays attention to these things.

just wanted to add to this thread that it has been almost 4 months on her 2013 Malibu 2.0T and hasn't leaked a drop of oil...no oil on the garage floor and still shows full on the dipstick...no oily mess around the filter either...this was much ado about nothing for me then...thanks again to all that contributed...it is appreciated...

Bill

just wanted to add to this thread that it has been almost 4 months on her 2013 Malibu 2.0T and hasn't leaked a drop of oil...no oil on the garage floor and still shows full on the dipstick...no oily mess around the filter either...this was much ado about nothing for me then...thanks again to all that contributed...it is appreciated...

Bill
Thank you for the follow up!

Back