Fiat 500e - How bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I see these things for sale really cheap, the Fiat 500e (electric) model, cheap as in a 2015, 26k miles, for $6k.

How bad could they be? Seems like it would be a decent little run around car. Finding a mechanic if it got some gremlins would probably be a little difficult.

If it's anything like this Fiat owners experience, I'd avoid at all costs!
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5224893/1
eek.gif

it's only got a range of about 80mi...
Fiat actively discouraged people from buying them, they only exist b/c of california, to offset the emissions of the charger/challenger/hellcat,etc.also, Fiat lost around $14k on every one they sold.

Since Fiat will stop exporting the 500 to the USA next year, I'd worry about parts availability in the future. One of the most enjoyable cars I ever owned was a 1971 Fiat 124 Spider, but I wouldn't buy a Fiat today.

On top of all other problems, Fiats started rusting before they were xported. I remember seeing a 124 with clothesline holding on the front bumper due to rust damage. 500s are small enough so that I felt intimidated by trucks.when I rented one

Originally Posted by andyd
500s are small enough so that I felt intimidated by trucks.when I rented one

Having owned and driven plenty of Smart Cars, a 500 seems large.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Nick1994
..... How bad could they be?

Bad enough they gave up on trying to sell them here.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/fiat-500-discontinued-2020/

Fiat didn't gave up on trying to sell them here because they were bad but because Americans would rather drive gas guzzling large pickups and SUVs.

Fiat is on life support here in the US. Their reliability record is at best dismal. Take a look at the ratings from Consumer Reports.

Furthermore, Car and Driver just recently eviscerated their long term test Alfa Romeo for reliability issues. Another FCA product line that is at best problematic.

Incidentally, I drive a 49 mpg Honda Accord hybrid.

Originally Posted by SJUMBA
Incidentally, I drive a 49 mpg Honda Accord hybrid.

You're not the average Joe 6-pack American who has no interest in a hybrid or high gas mileage. Fiat and Alfa Romeo are low volume specialty cars not bought as much by Consumer Reports readers as by Car and Driver readers. They can overlook most problematic quicks as the cost of driving something doesn't make you drowsy. If you want to talk reliability issues, speak to Ford Focus or Fiesta owners with automatic transmissions, or Hyundai/Kia owners that have had to replace engines.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I see these things for sale really cheap, the Fiat 500e (electric) model, cheap as in a 2015, 26k miles, for $6k.

How bad could they be? Seems like it would be a decent little run around car. Finding a mechanic if it got some gremlins would probably be a little difficult.

For $6000 buy a Corolla.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Since Fiat will stop exporting the 500 to the USA next year, I'd worry about parts availability in the future. One of the most enjoyable cars I ever owned was a 1971 Fiat 124 Spider, but I wouldn't buy a Fiat today.

Ah, memories. Had a '69 124 Sport Coupe. Closest thing I ever owned to a sports car and first new car buy. Source of tons of war stories. Remember going to a service adviser at an add-on to a Buick dealership in Milwaukee. Something horrible (there were a lot of 'em) occurred at about 25,000 miles. Asked him "is this normal at 25K?" to which he replied, "Don't know anyone who's kept one that long."

When it ran it was a fun car for the times however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz

Ah, memories. Had a '69 124 Sport Coupe. Closest thing I ever owned to a sports car and first new car buy. Source of tons of war stories. Remember going to a service adviser at an add-on to a Buick dealership in Milwaukee. Something horrible (there were a lot of 'em) occurred at about 25,000 miles. Asked him "is this normal at 25K?" to which he replied, "Don't know anyone who's kept one that long."

When it ran it was a fun car for the times however.

Memories for sure!... I had a 1972 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. Great driving car. Only issue was a head gasket @ 79,000 miles. Well, there was rust creeping inwards towards me after 6 years, but Houston does not salt roads. Must have been a real issue up north.

Fiat? I am surprised that you had to ask. i one was told made in Italy quality is either great or garbage.

As someone with experience with these I'll chime in. A dealership that i worked for purchase d these from California and resold them in Colorado. Now they drive great and yes they are a great run around car. I've met people who own them and live near work and drive it just to save gas. Now HOWEVER the downside is this. Since they were a compliance car most states don't have any Technicians nor software to update troubleshoot issues. In Colorado there is 1 guy who can service these and yes his name is Luigi and he's from Rome.

Not quite as bad as a Yugo or a Skoda but a POS for sure. Worst repair record of any vehicle on the road in US according to Consumer Reports. What was the name of that vehicle that came with a starting handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back