Ferrari 488 GTLM

I shot some video for an IMSA race team a few years ago... I rememembered them saying they used "off the shelf" Pennzoil, but this bottle had no markings... I had no experience with motorsports at the time but i became obsessed with endurance racing after this job. This car ran for 7 hours with a failed water pump and still finished on the podium with engine temps hitting 130° C.

I'm an oil noob, I found this forum to educate myself but I always thought that was impressive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 9.51.46 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 9.51.46 AM.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 9.52.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 9.52.01 AM.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 65
We will never actually know if they actually use the oil that the bottle label says it is. Racing costs huge Dollars.

Just a marketing thing.

Monster energy drinks makes cans of water that look exactly like a can of energy drink for sponsored athletes to drink. Since they need to be constantly repping the product but would likely die if they drank them all day at events.

Looks like the bottle had a generic label with no viscosity on the label.
The bottle is pristine and is being poured with perfectly framed full label visibility.
As well, if the bottle is full, it gets poured with the spout up, not down.

Which leads me to think its an "advertising play" with who knows what oil is actually being poured into that engine.

I believe this is called 'product placement'. I would wager that it is a Pennzoil product for a few business reasons, but given the racing environment at that level, it is probably some recipe blended to eek out as much power and just enough protection for whatever conditions apply...Ferrari and Pennzoil can afford that.

Looks like the bottle had a generic label with no viscosity on the label.
The OP said the bottle had "no markings" then they attach pictures of Pennzoil bottles. Not sure what is going on....

Sorry
The OP said the bottle had "no markings" then they attach pictures of Pennzoil bottles. Not sure what is going on....
Obvi, its a Pennzoil bottle. Doesn't have any info of what blend they are using but the crewchief said they use "off the shelf pennzoil".

To be clear, I didn't have a question, I just have enjoyed the forum so far despite some of you guys being pretty weird, it seems some of you can't wait to jump down each others throat at the slightest error... I just wanted to contribute in some way.

I'll just go back to lurking.

Sorry

Obvi, its a Pennzoil bottle. Doesn't have any info of what blend they are using but the crewchief said they use "off the shelf pennzoil".

To be clear, I didn't have a question, I just have enjoyed the forum so far despite some of you guys being pretty weird, it seems some of you can't wait to jump down each others throat at the slightest error... I just wanted to contribute in some way.

Well if it were really “off the shelf” it would have an SAE grade designation on the label.

Sorry

In the words of @double vanos , welcome to the asylum! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry

Don't get discouraged. While we may be weird, :alien: we do ask technical questions and give technical comments.:cool:

Well if it were really “off the shelf” it would have an SAE grade designation on the label.
Exactly this. The M1 0W-40 being used at LeMans and Sebring were the same boxes of the stuff you'd buy at your typical brick and mortar store.

I watched Rossi's IndyCar team repair his car after qualifying at Barber. They were using Pennzoil quart bottles. A 40 weight oil. View attachment 112918
I posted this back in June, not for the first time.

Back