Fender Bender insurance advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was parked at work 3-11:30 pm. I work at a house in a busy subdivision. After work I got gas at QT about 1 mile away. Noticed my drivers mirror in folded position. Noticed mirror was gone. Drove back to where I parked. Found the mirror in the street where I parked. Then I saw the bent fender with my flashlight. This is a dark street. I could see a lot of stars while waiting for the police to arrive. They gave me a report. Will call State Farm tomorrow. Last insurance claim was about 40 years ago when I hit deer with a Pinto. I need to get up to speed as to what to do and what not to do. Thanks!

20190630_233934_resized.jpg

20190701_000432_resized.jpg

20190701_000511_resized.jpg

Hit and run, never experienced that before. With both the deer hit (that I reported a year later) and when my wife side swiped the 300 on a pole at a gas station, I just reported it online (geico for deer, Allstate for 300). Uploaded some photo's, they gave an initial estimate based on that, and said I could take it anywhere I wanted. Got a rental both times. It was actually a pretty painless process.

I have been with SF for 32 years. I have had to only make 1 accident claim in all of that time.
What they're going to do is send an appraiser to give you an estimate. You can take the vehicle to your choice of body shop to have it repaired, or just pocket the money. Your 1st accident claim is forgiven by SF. And, your insurance will NOT go up. YMMV

I have been with State Farm over 20 years. Only thing they did was crack repair for a windshield. I would not mind the fender as it is. My main concern is the mirror/door. The mirror was jammed against the door window with enough force to break the mirror and put a minor scratch on the window. I duct taped the mirror in place to get a little visibility driving. Over 60 I had more wind noise than I heard before. Not sure is all that could be attributed to duct tape. That door seal never was perfect.

Going through insurance right now. Hit a deer lightly. Reputable shop estimate is $2700, Allstate virtual estimate is $1400.

Get an estimate besides the insurance companies, if you can find a body shop recommended by your insurance they should accept that estimate. Especially if you're thinking of doing some of the work yourself.

I too have had SF for over 40 years. Biggest claim was 6 years ago when my wife ran off the road and took down a utility pole. Car was worth 16k. It was totaled. Got a check from SF in two weeks for the full amount. They also covered all the damaged utilities (another 16k). Rates never budged.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Going through insurance right now. Hit a deer lightly. Reputable shop estimate is $2700, Allstate virtual estimate is $1400.

Get an estimate besides the insurance companies, if you can find a body shop recommended by your insurance they should accept that estimate. Especially if you're thinking of doing some of the work yourself.

Is that due to the scope quoted or the hourly rate? Both can affect the outcome, the former will be dealt with via addendums.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Was parked at work 3-11:30 pm. I work at a house in a busy subdivision. After work I got gas at QT about 1 mile away. Noticed my drivers mirror in folded position. Noticed mirror was gone. Drove back to where I parked. Found the mirror in the street where I parked. Then I saw the bent fender with my flashlight. This is a dark street. I could see a lot of stars while waiting for the police to arrive. They gave me a report. Will call State Farm tomorrow. Last insurance claim was about 40 years ago when I hit deer with a Pinto. I need to get up to speed as to what to do and what not to do. Thanks!

OP sorry to hear this. Unfortunately insurance is about the biggest racket out there. They may pay but they'll make you pay in time. They will always make a profit.

That damage seems. I or enough that it might have been prudent to avoid insurance. I suspect you have some deductible, like $500 or more. The calculus here is if the combination of rate increase and deductible will be less than the outlay out of pocket. Maybe so, maybe less. Hard to say. I'd suspect you'll be close. If your deductible is higher than $500 it makes that call potentially harder.

Most places a hit and run with a police report would be Uninsured motorist coverage.

You'll likely get offered select service and pocket estimate if available in your area.

I just want to comment that the fender damage is very peculiar. How did that happen with no damage to the light or elsewhere? And how is the mirror breakage related to the fender damage? Maybe it was vandalism?? And, it is odd that you drove the vehicle a mile without noticing the mirror was broken?? None of it adds up.

You could probably fix the mirror yourself if you are handy. That fender can probably be repaired vs. replaced ($600-$800). Pursuing insurance will depend on what the others above stated (deductible, etc.). Good luck!

I'd get an estimate for a repair before contacting insurance. You have to weigh whether paying the deductible and possible rate increases is worth the claim. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Where I live the Police report doesn't matter that much other than showing due diligence to your insurer. Since you don't have the other offending party's tag and phone number - it's all on you. Which means, if you have comprehensive you will have to pay the deductable. Now what is your deductable 300? 500? 1000?. If you don't mind the fender, you can take the estimate - likely around $ 1200-1500 - and pocket the $500 -$900 net. Then you can buy a new or junk mirror and put that on and then later you could have a body shop stretch out that dent. After all is done, you might have enough for a tank of gas and a dinner out
smile.gif

Last edited:
How I missed my mirror was folded and broken is beyond me. It was a very dark area. The damage looked like someone clipped my fender and mirror coming towards me. Called State Farm. Deductible $500. Get a rental up to $500 with 80% covered per day. No changes in monthly premium. My local agent recommended a body shop he used for 30 years which is walking distance from todays job site. Getting estimate around 12 pm and they can order parts today. I appreciate all the feedback. I have family member in hospice and I have to be ready for change in status any moment. Shopping around is not an option right now.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
How I missed my mirror was folded and broken is beyond me. It was a very dark area. The damage looked like someone clipped my fender and mirror coming towards me. Called State Farm. Deductible $500. Get a rental up to $500 with 80% covered per day. No changes in monthly premium. My local agent recommended a body shop he used for 30 years which is walking distance from todays job site. Getting estimate around 12 pm and they can order parts today. I appreciate all the feedback. I have family member in hospice and I have to be ready for change in status any moment. Shopping around is not an option right now.

That was very similar to our accident (we have State Farm), albeit it was an uninsured motorist. I lucked out and the bodyshop I picked was their preferred so it worked out. The rental car coverage was the same, but since I have an extra vehicle I just returned it after a couple days since the car was in the shop for close to a month it would have gotten expensive. Rates did not go up immediately as your agent told you, but they WILL sneak up. They're still the cheapest option for us, so they got away with it...

If rates go up a little that is OK. It was surreal waiting for the cops. Could see a lot of stars in the sky and the neighborhood was quiet. There are some parts of life that just happen and you deal with it. Thanks again for the guidance.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It looks like a two legged varmint with a baseball bat did that.

But for the scuff mark, I would have said it got a kick job from punks.

The scuff mark makes me think careless bicycle rider. I can't really envision how another automobile did this.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by AZjeff

Is that due to the scope quoted or the hourly rate? Both can affect the outcome, the former will be dealt with via addendums.

A virtual estimate means the receptionist is in the parking lot holding her phone camera where an adjuster (who knows where he is?) is telling her where to point it. They have an app so he can snap shots from his end. The hood had a dent but is also bent down where the body weight came down on the leading edge and the adjuster couldn't see it so he says repair. Body shop says replace. Allstate call it supplements not addendums, but, Allstate was hot to mail me a check minus my deductible and closes the claim any supplement has to go to the body shop now. Trouble with that is I just went to the closest shop to my house to get an idea the cost of the repairs. I'm perfectly capable of replacing a headlight and lower bumper cover insert and just need a body shop to replace and paint the hood. Allstate made it more complicated than it has to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back