Feeling a bit uneasy about my sister's 2011 Jetta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing necessarily wrong with the vehicle but after using it for a bit yesterday I just feel a little concerned about long term reliability.

She was in the minority and actually preferred the 2.0 base Jetta. This engine really struggles around town. As far as I know this engine hasn't changed much since it was in Jetta's from 10 years ago. At 115hp, this thing really has to hit high rpms just to get around town. The car isn't too heavy for today's standards with a curb weight of 2800lbs.

Maybe it's just because I am comparing her Jetta to my Golf, but the differences in quality and refinement is just astounding. On the plus side, this car is very enjoyable for a daily driver in some aspects. It has tons of room in the front, and sitting 3 in the back is actually very comfortable for a car this size. I also really enjoy driving it. Visibility is fantastic with pretty much no blind spots, something I find as a serious flaw in most new cars I've driven. The car also still delivers a good experience for the driver. I feel pretty connected with the road and handling seems more exciting than the Corolla and new Civic we test drove.

It's just the overall cheapness of the car that's worrying me. For having 9000 miles, it feels and sounds like it should have more. The interior is cheaper than the last gen Jetta's but I think it's still good looking. Everything is laid out well and has a nice simple look to it. But this thing has already gathered up a handful of interior rattles, one coming from the instrument cluster which sounds like will be a real pain for the dealership to take care of. The engine also just sound rough! This old engine might just not sound as refined as to what I'm used to, but I don't remember it sounding this way when she first got it. The transmission also clunks pretty hard from park to reverse. Not something I am comfortable with.

I like this car a lot. But I just wonder how it will drive 3 years from now. The price of this Jetta really wasnt much different than what I paid for my Golf. If you drove them side by side you'd never expect the similar price point.

I am just opening up a discussion here, and I am not trying to knock the new Jetta. I just think my sis would have done better with the 2.5 engine.

It's her car, why worry. My family has had Camrys run for DECADES. My sister "hadda" have a German car so she bought a VW.
Now the P&M chorus has started. I don't want to hear it.

Kinda sounds like the 10s version of the Cavalier. I think it will hold up just fine, and run a long while if cared for. As for the rattles, I have a feeling those will get worse.....

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It's her car, why worry. My family has had Camrys run for DECADES. My sister "hadda" have a German car so she bought a VW.
Now the P&M chorus has started. I don't want to hear it.

What does P&M Chorus mean?

If that 2.0L is anything like they were years ago, they're tough engines.

My SIL had a 1999 Jetta (newer body style) w/ the 2.0L and 5spd manual. It screamed at highway speeds and consumed oil like mad, but still held up. There were times I checked the oil for her only to find little/nothing on the stick. Most I ever topped it up with was 3 quarts! It never knocked, clicked, clattered, etc. I didn't know better at the time or I would have used 5w40 or even 15w40 in it.

Joel

Last edited:
Based on what I've read about the newly redesigned VW Jetta, Volkswagen went to great lengths in order to cut costs and make a car that could compete with Hyundai, Kia, and even Suzuki and other low priced vehicles. Drum brakes, solid rear axle, the old 2.0 engine with timing chain upgrade, and even the multi-function display on the dash were all designed to make this car inexpensive. Heck, I think they even priced them at $14,999 for a brief introduction period.

You're simply experiencing these cuts. If you're not a former Volkswagen owner then you wouldn't know what has been taken away from these cars. I drive a 2009 A5 Jetta TDI and I can't stand what VW has done with the 2011 model. Thankfully they had the good sense to bring disc brakes back for the 2012 model year and their engine offereings are going to be greatly improved for 2013.

But, none of that matters to the 2011 owner. I hate making this statement but she probably got what she paid for.

Well that's good to know! Crazy you added 3 quarts. I think this engine only takes 3.75 quarts lol.

Quote:
She was in the minority and actually preferred the 2.0 base Jetta. This engine really struggles around town. As far as I know this engine hasn't changed much since it was in Jetta's from 10 years ago. At 115hp, this thing really has to hit high rpms just to get around town. The car isn't too heavy for today's standards with a curb weight of 2800lbs.

Yikes. Only 115 HP from a 2.0L engine.

Hers is running fine...but the 2.slow engine is just coarse. It's an old design (I think based on the early-80's 1.6 and 1.8), and the fact it's always working just to keep up with traffic means it's loud. Also, it seems to have VW's typically short gearing, so it's spinning 3000+RPM on the highway. It's loud, slow, noisy, and thrashy...but it will run 300,000+ miles.

The rest of the car, however...all I will say is I hope she has an extended warranty.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Ive seen Jettas spinning tires up convenience store parking lots with infinetessimally small upgrades.

The ones with turbos.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I had an '89 Accord w/2.0 and about 120 hp, it did pretty good. That was 10 years ago I was driving it though.

Clark

Originally Posted By: ClarkB

I had an '89 Accord w/2.0 and about 120 hp, it did pretty good.

That old '89 probably weighs about 1000 pounds less than a 2011 Jetta however...

I had an '89 Accord w/2.0 and about 120 hp, it did pretty good. That was 10 years ago I was driving it though.

Clark

A friend's parents had an '89 Accord 5-speed. I would buy one in a second if they weren't all rusted out. Loved that car.

This 2L engine is basically indestructible.

Just the most basic maintenance is necessary.

VW needed a inexpensive car in the US for a decade now, and it still really doesn't have what it needs to.

I like VW cars but I detest the US distributor VWoA.

Originally Posted By: css9450

I had an '89 Accord w/2.0 and about 120 hp, it did pretty good.

That old '89 probably weighs about 1000 pounds less than a 2011 Jetta however...

My old '93 has 125hp and is within 100 lbs of a 2011 Jetta 2.0.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "struggles". It doesn't feel noticeably slow, it just is constantly shifting over 4500rpms to get where it needs to be. I am just used to shifting at rpms much lower when it comes to riding around town.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

VW has very optimistic sales goals for the next few years and 2013 will see the introduction of some interesting vehicle/drivetrain changes to help achieve those goals. Cheapening the Jetta and installing that underpowered,oil sucking engine from 30 years ago wasn't a very smart way to start. Who at VW thought this was a good idea? Hopefully the bad press the new Jetta has received (not including the up-level models) will result in some head-rolling for the people making these decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back