Feedback on Jump Start Packs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the same jump pack for five years. It is a Frankenstein creation with an ES2500 case, ES5000 replacement batteries, 0 gauge cables (but they're only about two feet long), and I think there is about a pound of electrical tape on the handle since the ears broke off a LONG time ago. But this thing starts everything I throw it at. Sometimes it takes a couple tries, topping off by hooking it onto whatever car I'm driving for a minute, then trying again. This jump pack also works as a great capacitor when jumping diesels. I'll hook the pack onto the vehicle's main battery. I'll hook 0 gauge jumper cables from my truck to the diesel's starting battery. Leave it all connected for about 5-10 minutes, turn on the diesel and let the glow plugs cycle, turn it off, turn it back on and cycle the glow plugs again, repeat that, and then try to crank it. I've failed to start a 7.3PSD only ONCE when using this combination and that vehicle had dead glow plugs.

I will absolutely buy the ES5000 again and when I get another tow truck I plan to equip it with the next size up, ES6000, which should be good enough to jump medium and heavy duty diesels. Can't wait to start making better money on those jumps. I get anywhere from $40 to $75 on jump starts depending on if it's a cash call or a motor club now, and medium-heavy duty will pay about double that. The box costs twice as much (about $250-$260 instead of $110-$120 for the ES5000) but it's a beast. They have another model called the ES1224 which is more like $360 but it is switchable between 12 and 24 volt. Makes me wonder how many vehicles use 24V that aren't military.

My brother got me this thing made by Weego. It's about the size of three packs of cigarettes. I cannot believe how well it starts a car with a dead battery. I guess I can put my tow truck quality jumper cables in the garage.

I have a heavy jump starter made by Motomaster. I always put it in the boat in case I run down the main battery listening to tunes. Looks like I'll leave it on shore and get one of the lithium ion ones. Thanks for the informative posts.
smile.gif

I have a Halo, size of a large thick wallet, lithium battery, started a dead 318 V-8 with no problem. Started 4 cylinder. I charge it 2x/year and down 25%. I've had it for several years. No reason to have jumper cables anymore.

Last edited:
I bought one of those Lithium jump packs off Ali-Express from a decent seller and I've had it three years. Saved me when the battery went in the Journey and I have used it a couple times to jump friends cars.
I keep it charged and in the trunk. I also keep booster cables as well.

The reason I bought it was because FCA decided to put the battery in the Wheel Well of the Journey and that means I have to drive it somewhere to change a failing battery instead of parking-lot swapping type thing.

Last edited:
I bought this one..

https://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-JNC318-Lithium-Starter-Supply/dp/B07212VPNG

It does a decent job of starting cars but I use it mostly for going to the junk yards, its small and light and powers the power probe so I can open trunks (none of the cars has keys or a battery), test switches, small motors and mirrors and with the 5v probe adapter I can test some 5v stuff as well.

Electrical switches for German cars can cost a lot of money, heated and power mirrors are out of this world expensive, so a trip to the pick and pull for $50 really pays off especially if you can test the part on the spot. The tool paid for itself many times over the first trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back