FedEx Corp has severed its relationship with one their largest Ground delivery contractor effective immediately

If the mechanics are busy, the front desk will have me put the parts in the Receiving room. There are lots of parts in there for planes that are long gone.

It often doesn't go any better shipping aircraft parts on passenger airplanes, recovering them and hand delivering, than it does via Fed Ex.

Are you still delivering boxes or did you retire ?

How heavy aircraft parts did you deliver ?

I agree that UPS guys, for the vast majority, don’t leave. Where are you going to make that kind of money with unquestioned overtime as a blue collar worker? But boy, you have to sell your soul to the “company store”, apologies to 16 tons. Eventually you create a lifestyle that only a salary like that can fuel. A pool you never swim in, a “back to school night” for your kids you’ll never attend, a Little League game you’ll hear about after you get home. If you can survive, get that pension, and live another 20 years or so, you can beat the system..hold on , it’s 820 pm and the doorbell just rang..it my UPS guy doing his residentials. There’s no free lunch. My hat is off to them.

After 30 years at UPS, most workers have back and knee problems due to the high tempo and pace of work demands.

Last edited:
I live about 20 miles from city of 20,000 and Fedex has given the packages to a courier that won’t comes out that 20 miles, I have to pick up my packages in town. Also, speaking with some couriers before this happened, they had to deliver 200 packages per day. The adds run constantly for replacement staff at couriers.

...... He was saying there might be a ‘Purple Friday’ just before peak Christmas shopping season if FedEx didn’t adjust his contract to increase the rates for delivery of parcels and help with increased fuel costs......

I don't care what they do, this Christmas is going to be a huge mess, for both purchasing, (shortages), and shipping. I don't even want to think about the flying public, cancelled flights, nutcases flying, airport delays, etc.

The best place for Christmas this year, is staying home.

I don't care what they do, this Christmas is going to be a huge mess, for both purchasing, (shortages), and shipping. I don't even want to think about the flying public, cancelled flights, nutcases flying, airport delays, etc.

The best place for Christmas this year, is staying home.
It will be interesting.

Last year, I had everything bought and shipped by December 7th. Everything arrived on time. No disappointments.

Passenger travel will be a challenge. Bookings this year are at a record level. Last Christmas ran relatively smoothly. I was there.
6EC3BA64-3F4E-4DBC-B231-653370846AB1.jpeg

Last edited:
UPS strike...soon.
🍿

I'm a FT UPS Teamster. I highly doubt I'd have the wage, retirement and benefit package if I was wrenching on 3rd party contractor FedEx Ground vehicles. We at UPS aren't lazy union workers. The founder of the company approached the Teamsters and wanted them to organize the drivers of the than Merchants Delivery Service, later renamed UPS.

I'm a FT UPS Teamster. I highly doubt I'd have the wage, retirement and benefit package if I was wrenching on 3rd party contractor FedEx Ground vehicles. We at UPS aren't lazy union workers. The founder of the company approached the Teamsters and wanted them to organize the drivers of the than Merchants Delivery Service, later renamed UPS.
Respect...your life's work and your points.

The post I saw talked about current working conditions and current work force.

We have to ask what the heck is going on...a fourth Industrial Revolution ?

It will be interesting.

Last year, I had everything bought and shipped by December 7th. Everything arrived on time. No disappointments.

Passenger travel will be a challenge. Bookings this year are at a record level. Last Christmas ran relatively smoothly. I was there. View attachment 116088
I'll be thinking of you over the holidays, Astro. Have a good one, and be careful.

I used to work for a ground contractor in the early nineties when overnight-service was in its infancy. I can remember a New Year’s Eve at Newark Airport sorting thru a ton of RPS ground freight on a freezing cold tarmac. Simply put, Fed Ex does not want to “re open” existing contracts with sub contractors. It would open a Pandora’s box that could never be closed. When said contracts expire..that’s when to sell your Fed Ex stock.
Airborne Express? What ever happened to them

That’s why UPS has so many applicants for good jobs there.

I have only survived forty plus years as an independent subcontractor by being lean, clever, agile and finding niches.

Time and again, stressors have created opportunity.

Simply put, Spencer blew it. Others will surely step in. The demand for the service will remain constant and expanding.
New companies run hard work for less margin the go bankrupt.

Are we seeing the change of business away from contractors and back to company owned services. I know at one time for examples the oil conpanies had their own trucking. The auto makers had their own companies to make lots of their components. The businesses were doing just in time shipping to save inventory costs and now we have been bitten by Just in time Shipping and the cost of not being able to do proper business.

...UPS said the average pay for its delivery drivers is $95,000 a year, with benefits such as a traditional pension plan, worth an additional $50,000 a year. UPS’ semi-tractor drivers are paid even more. That’s far higher than most wages at FedEx and Amazon, where many drivers work for small independent contractors.

The current contract expires at 12:01 am August 1 [2023]. O’Brien vows the union will not grant any kind of contract extension past that deadline.

And he added that on top of improved pay and benefits, the union will demand better working conditions, including adding air conditioning in the panel trucks used for UPS deliveries which the union says poses a health risk for drivers.

...UPS ended 2021 with operating income up 50% to $13.1 billion. In the first half of this year, earnings rose another 10% compared with a year ago.

“Everyone keeps getting richer except for our members,” said O’Brien.

Back