FedEx Corp has severed its relationship with one their largest Ground delivery contractor effective immediately

I cannot believe that Patton threatened FedEx with a Holiday slowdown. Does no one see that this was the cause of action on the part of FedEx ?
This is the exact outcome that Patton hoped for. He made his money from Fed Ex long ago and simply got tired of it being chipped away on a daily basis. How to you get out of an ironclad contract? You get the Corporation that drafted the contract to fire you from it! The guy is no dummy. He got Fed Ex to do for him that which he couldn’t do for himself. Guy must be a good poker player.

This is the exact outcome that Patton hoped for. He made his money from Fed Ex long ago and simply got tired of it being chipped away on a daily basis. How to you get out of an ironclad contract? You get the Corporation that drafted the contract to fire you from it! The guy is no dummy. He got Fed Ex to do for him that which he couldn’t do for himself. Guy must be a good poker player.
Interesting take on it. Probably not many contractors ready to immediately fill their role either. Get fired, renegotiate for better terms and you're back in business.

So FedEx didn't realize poker was the game ?

They called Spencer's bluff.

Creekside,

Shelby/Happiness is (was) a great trucking channel, especially chaining tires on Colorado Rockies during a blizzard. (y)

I got BIG respect for truckers….. especially the long haul truckers.

100% of our economy revolves around trucks.

Last edited:
I have only survived forty plus years as an independent subcontractor by being lean, clever, agile and finding niches.

Time and again, stressors have created opportunity.

Simply put, Spencer blew it. Others will surely step in. The demand for the service will remain constant and expanding.
Applause to You. Obviously you are a smart go getter. In younger times I had worked for and seen countless "in demand"
businesses go deep six for one simple reason. Poor Upper Management who should not have even been hired. Some of
those managers will actually tell you.... "a manager does not have to know the business, all he has to know is how to manage
people!"
REALLY.... usually said right before collapse of the business. Most of them also have the mind set to raise profits
only one way .... cut the front line work force (backbone of the place) , cut their benefits , dump absolutely way more work
on each worker than they can humanly accomplish. This leads to best employees going downhill , less production , poor
attitude , no more loyalty or even leaving for other work. Used to be management could get away with it. They would even
laugh in your face and tell you "go try to find other work, I dare you!" cause they had the upper hand. Lack of jobs around.
Now its the employees who have unlimited job openings all over. Those big companies should make the CEOs sign length
of employment contracts that are tied to financial success of the business under their watch and they should lose salary when
they drive the company into the ground like many of them do. That golden parachute retirement they all get should be based
on their performance or they lose it.

Creekside,

Shelby(Happiness is (was) a great trucking channel, especially chaining tires on Donners Pass during a blizzard. (y)
I got to meet her at the Rotella Super Rigs show in Branson MO back in June. She's the same in person as she is online, an absolute blast to be around. I hung out with her for a couple hours before the show ended. She's planning to start posting more content again and a new one went up a couple days ago(appears to be old content in a new video). She's been struggling with her new company and running a lot of miles to keep things afloat.

So FedEx didn't realize poker was the game ?

They called Spencer's bluff.
We’ll see. All speculation on our part. You can call a bluff all day but you better be right. 225 routes across 10 states is a lot of bluff to back up….starting tomorrow morning? Countless service failures for sure..we’ll see. Glad I’m done with all that.

Of course FedEx is keenly aware of costs. They have in house fleets. They buy jet fuel.

I have covered DHL overflow (when they had skin in this game.)
Two hundred stops. Three dollars a pop. $600/day gross, if you hustle and organize yourself.

Contractors need to be industrious, especially moving forward.

..... Most of them also have the mind set to raise profits
only one way .... cut the front line work force (backbone of the place) , cut their benefits , dump absolutely way more work
on each worker than they can humanly accomplish. This leads to best employees going downhill , less production , poor
attitude , no more loyalty or even leaving for other work.....
This is what is happening with train crews that work for the major railroads.

Last edited:
This is what is happening with train crews that work for the major railroads.

I worked for Conrail here in the Northeast for a bit. Before 2 way radios, all lantern work on the side and top of boxcars. Late 70’s. Freight train crews were always 4 men, engineer , conductor, and two brakemen, one in the caboose to look ahead for hot boxes (stuck brakes, flat spots, sparks etc). It’s been down to three crewmen for a long time. It was tough work but being much younger I enjoyed it.

Sometimes you have to leave an industry even if you like your job and coworkers.
A few states have seen lots of teachers quitting due low pay, dysfunction and problems in their school system.

I tell people not to spend many years in a career to collect a retirement plan / pension. Move on to somewhere better and be happy. Yes, a CEO and incompetent management can destroy any company.

I think some FedEx Ground owners are trying to sell their business before the possibility of bankruptcy. I looked at the listings for sale and I get the feeling many see the red flags ahead.

Last edited:
The guys know how to write a letter.

Didn't know "asks" was a noun, but maybe Grammerly thinks so; "requests" is too hard to spell?

Strange use of the future rather than conditional tenses:

For the linehaul network, a $0.20 per mile pay increase on all solo and team runs. Spot
runs will receive a 10% increase in compensation.

Grammar; who needs it? We can hire people from abroad who speak and write our language properly. 😄

I wonder if the "leadership" at any of these corporations has taken a pay cut to make up for the short-falls in revenues?

Oh, reading on I see I can answer my own question:

In FedEx’s most recent earnings report on June 23, 2022, their numbers showed a stunning 30% expansion of profit margins in the very same quarter that saw CSP profit margins drop to new lows.

Bonuses all round the boardroom! 🥳

In conclusion, both FedEx Corporate and FedEx Ground have new CEOs that are inheriting a tough situation: activist investors joining the board, analysts’ frustration with a stagnant stock price, challenges with Capex, and CSPs that desperately need financial help.

"Activist investors"? What kind of animal is that I wonder? An investment fund trying to enforce a "green" agenda ahead of profits? You have to ask yourself just who the investors are that want that, and why? And no, I don't mean little people who have swallowed the athropogenic global warming joke, hook, line and sinker, I mean people with billions to play with. I guess they already have so much dough they can afford to play power games instead of making more $$?

I understand things have changed over the past 2 years and online shopping has increased exponentially….. but once you enter an agreement you are bound by those conditions until your FedEx Ground contract is up for renewal and the Ground contractor / owner can seek better financial terms.

Seems to me it’s not worth the stress and aggravation to be in this type of business.
Agree certainly not worth the stress and aggravation with this company, but let’s keep in mind that Patton is the one who negotiated the contract.
Now they cry foul.

Of course FedEx is keenly aware of costs. They have in house fleets. They buy jet fuel.

I have covered DHL overflow (when they had skin in this game.)
Two hundred stops. Three dollars a pop. $600/day gross, if you hustle and organize yourself.

Contractors need to be industrious, especially moving forward.
I did it, before GPS. Wanna know how many Hagstrom maps I had piled up on the dash? Nothing like getting 250 residentials over 3 counties dumped in your lap at 7 in the morning and having to figure it out..so you can have another 250 dumped in your lap at 7 the next morning. It gets less painful over time, sort of like somebody hitting you over the head with a baseball bat taking a 5 minute break because their arms are tired. Don’t miss it.

Think its very interesting that a union company Ups is still making money and hasn't renegotiated their contract and making money. August 12 for the next quarters date.

Earnings DateOct 25, 2022
Forward Dividend & Yield6.08 (3.06%
As someone in the business for 20 years, (I don't work for UPS or Fed Ex), UPS has far better, newer equipment, pays their workers MUCH better than Fed Ex, and UPS's drivers have a significantly better safety record. I know drivers that work at both companies, they are both treated the same (like a number). The Fed Ex folks are always trying to go to UPS, never the other way around. I have no dog in the fight, but from the outside looking in, I'd say UPS/Teamsters is doing something right, and Fed Ex isn't. Some folks stay with Fed Ex long term, but it is more of a job until something better comes along for most drivers, UPS on the other hand, once folks get that job, they hang on for dear life.

I bet FedEx is already talking to his drivers to re sign them without Spencer taking his cut.
As in hire them directly ? Fat chance ! Fedex Ground has operated with contractor companies/drivers since day one. I believe it was no different when it was RPS either. Fedex Ground believes using contractors is optimal for their business, especially when it comes to peak times and needing add'l drivers/trucks quickly and after things slow down, it's "easy" for them to reduce their driver numbers (it's someone else's problem).

As someone in the business for 20 years, (I don't work for UPS or Fed Ex), UPS has far better, newer equipment, pays their workers MUCH better than Fed Ex, and UPS's drivers have a significantly better safety record. I know drivers that work at both companies, they are both treated the same (like a number). The Fed Ex folks are always trying to go to UPS, never the other way around. I have no dog in the fight, but from the outside looking in, I'd say UPS/Teamsters is doing something right, and Fed Ex isn't. Some folks stay with Fed Ex long term, but it is more of a job until something better comes along for most drivers, UPS on the other hand, once folks get that job, they hang on for dear life.

UPS does have great benefits and a strong union.

As in hire them directly ? Fat chance ! Fedex Ground has operated with contractor companies/drivers since day one. I believe it was no different when it was RPS either. Fedex Ground believes using contractors is optimal for their business, especially when it comes to peak times and needing add'l drivers/trucks quickly and after things slow down, it's "easy" for them to reduce their driver numbers (it's someone else's problem).
RPS hired the original drivers directly. I remember them trying to hire UPS drivers. They even had charts made showing how much money you could make after leasing a vehicle and expenses. I know of at least one FedEx driver who contracted directly with FedEx. But that was 7 years or so and he has since moved to Boston.

Back