FedEx Corp has severed its relationship with one their largest Ground delivery contractor effective immediately

Anybody interested in starting a delivery business using some no-so-cheap EV delivery vans? What could possibly go wrong?

On a more serious note, the aviation business relies on FedEx for rapid part deliveries. The last few years have been utterly horrible. With overnight packages costing 2x what they used to, and taking 3 days.

Anybody interested in starting a delivery business using some no-so-cheap EV delivery vans? What could possibly go wrong?

On a more serious note, the aviation business relies on FedEx for rapid part deliveries. The last few years have been utterly horrible. With overnight packages costing 2x what they used to, and taking 3 days.
When I deliver aircraft parts to jet centers,
there is an astounding amount of inefficiency on display.

I work in government bids/contracts. This is the world today. We’ve had contractors telling us the same thing. Depending on the person in charge, they may or may not decide to work with the contractor to modify the terms. They are bound by the law to do the work at the contracted rate if you want to stick it to them and destroy future relationships. No one forsaw the past 2-3 years so it’s hard to be such a Richard and not give these contractors a break.

UPS doesn’t ship aviation part delivery ?

When I deliver aircraft parts to jet centers,
there is an astounding amount of inefficiency on display.
I'm sure that's very true, I've seen plenty of that with some of the good people I work with. Many in the aviation industry feel they don't have to be efficient, just safe.

However, in my case, I'm a one man show and when I need a part fast, it generally gets installed instantly. I don't waste time when there is a task.

I agree that UPS guys, for the vast majority, don’t leave. Where are you going to make that kind of money with unquestioned overtime as a blue collar worker? But boy, you have to sell your soul to the “company store”, apologies to 16 tons. Eventually you create a lifestyle that only a salary like that can fuel. A pool you never swim in, a “back to school night” for your kids you’ll never attend, a Little League game you’ll hear about after you get home. If you can survive, get that pension, and live another 20 years or so, you can beat the system..hold on , it’s 820 pm and the doorbell just rang..it my UPS guy doing his residentials. There’s no free lunch. My hat is off to them.

Last edited:
But boy, you have to sell your soul to the “company store”, apologies to 16 tons. Eventually you create a lifestyle that only a salary like that can fuel. A pool you never swim in
They do get a lot of vacation time. I think they get 6-8 weeks after long enough time there. Regarding the OT, yeah, it's crazy. Our driver generally finishes around 5 but a while ago, a stop on his route changed their last pick-up time to 8pm. No problem, right, have one of the other swing drivers (ones that start at noon instead of 9, for example) get it ? His boss offered him another option.... Park his truck when he's done, do whatever he wants, but he can't leave the truck (other than to pee or eat), and wait. He goes in the back of his truck and reads, naps, etc. 😂

the aviation business relies on FedEx for rapid part deliveries. The last few years have been utterly horrible. With overnight packages costing 2x what they used to, and taking 3 days.
UPS doesn’t ship aviation part delivery ?
In my experience, both UPS and Fedex Express (not Ground) are very reliable. I would flip a coin and go with either one without hesitation.

I'm sure that's very true, I've seen plenty of that with some of the good people I work with. Many in the aviation industry feel they don't have to be efficient, just safe.

However, in my case, I'm a one man show and when I need a part fast, it generally gets installed instantly. I don't waste time when there is a task.
If the mechanics are busy, the front desk will have me put the parts in the Receiving room. There are lots of parts in there for planes that are long gone.

It often doesn't go any better shipping aircraft parts on passenger airplanes, recovering them and hand delivering, than it does via Fed Ex.

Sometimes you have to leave an industry even if you like your job and coworkers.
A few states have seen lots of teachers quitting due low pay, dysfunction and problems in their school system.

I tell people not to spend many years in a career to collect a retirement plan / pension. Move on to somewhere better and be happy. Yes, a CEO and incompetent management can destroy any company.

I think some FedEx Ground owners are trying to sell their business before the possibility of bankruptcy. I looked at the listings for sale and I get the feeling many see the red flags ahead.

Fed ex routes are always up for sale that's the normal. A good friend had a fed ex routes pulling trailers sold within two years. Now has a Snapple route doing much better.

They've never integrated "the last mile" & the "first mile" for air & ground. Has it been 10 years? 20? Not a sign of a well-run company.
I'm okay with picking up at a hub.
I ship most of my parts to the local FedEx Office location. That used to be a great way to have it as one of the first deliveries as they would drop off a number of items for Hold At Location service.

Today, it's a crap shoot if the part even makes it on the truck for delivery for that last mile.

The part makes the plane and goes to the local distribution site in Berkeley, MO, IIRC, and then gets stuck there.
I'm finding it seems to be an issue with what happens in the sort facility here. If they don't sort it for the right truck, it doesn't matter what the trucks are doing for the last mile.

I‘ve always had good service with FedEx overnight and ground for repair parts I needed for business.

I’m sure all those routes belonging to Spencer Patton in 10 states will cause lots of headaches for other FedEx Ground contractors that will now be forced to take on much more workloads on short notice and unhappy customers.

IMO, I’ve been disappointed with FedEx Ground - we used them at work. Late deliveries or lost packages. We went back to UPS.

FedEx’s bread and butter is their Express product but that’s under threat from eSignature(why FedEx loan/legal documents, when a quick DocuSign or Adobe Sign is next to nothing for cost and is still legally enforceable in court) and electronic document delivery. A lot of retailers used FedEx Ground to deliver packages to customers and stock their stores but now that’s in competition with OnTrac and Dynamex/TForce/XPO Logistics(also contracted) as well as USPS SmartPost that uses UPS’ national network but Post Office final mile. And Amazon is increasingly going to bring everything in house - but they treat their workers just a step above serfs.

Back