Fed Up with Driving a Manual Transmission?

manual transmission is still the majority here and europe (purely for cost reasons)
i don't mind it at all (except in bumper to bumper traffic. then i feel sorry for my clutch and my poor left leg)
when i drive an automatic i dont know what to do with my left leg :)

I learned to drive on MTs and owned many in different style vehicles.

I owned a 2014 Subaru crosstrek 5mt that really soured me on MTs for my daily driver and at 50yrs old, I have no interest in one again for a DD.

The other issue with MTs in this application is, they're just so rare now, parts and service is going to be an issue. I also don't trust the longevity of the slave cylinder setups and throw out bearings on today's MTs either, which throws the whole long term durability thing out the window.

When being nostalgic or get the urge for some spirited driving, I miss a manual. When back in the here-and-now 95% daily driver mode...not one bit.

I have 4 VW's that are all stick. Love driving them. They all have light clutches and shift easily. I am so accustomed to driving them that for passengers they feel like automatics. Have other cars and trucks with automatics and they have their place too. They just don't add to driving like a stick does. For me it turns a car into an appliance.

The engine repair or exchange needed on mine to get it moving again I consider primarily as a transmission swap – to at least find a used 5-speed MT replacing the current 6-MT. An auto makes for the sovereignty in my book but to fit one would be out of proportion, so the fixation on the gear elongation will be the approach to get the old RX-8 back on the road. At 18 I was only aware of a slight bias though.

I prefer autos. I can understand why a manual would be preferred in some cases, but even for my "fun" V8 muscle car, I went with an AT.

I can drive a manual, but to me, I don't get the appeal. The computer can slam through gears faster than I could and in traffic I can just sit back and let it do its thing. If I want, I can override and use the paddle shifters and hold gears as long as I want. Best of both worlds really.

I would take a manual over a CVT. Manuals can be fun if it's a good shifting transmission like in a Honda. I've driven a few Civics and Jettas with manuals and they were fun and felt zippy. A CVT in my opinion makes a car feel like it has half the power.

02 camry 2.4 has a very stiff clutch. Sucked in traffic. Later discovered an aftermarket brand (maybe sachs) had a better, lighter feel. OE and LUK were the same, stiff.

Gearbox itself was pleasant.

Drive-by-wire throttle was a little sticky when cold, made it irritating to idle in 1st with the clutch up.

For me auto for DD and manual for my for fun car. Don't care that the pdk is faster in the Porsche, I like shifting it.

Because CVTs are all the rage right now on econocars, and because of their inherent reliability problems as of late, I was thinking of getting a manual car. I need a small car for parking purposes and commuting. My first car was a stick shift and I absolutely loved driving it. However, that was when I was 19 (I am 38 now). Have any of you guys gotten tired of driving a manual and now hate it, compared to an auto?
Not me. Have been driving my 6MT '17 civic hatch and absolutely love it

Back