FCC fines U.S. wireless carriers over $200M

"The Federal Communications Commission said on Monday it had fined the largest U.S. wireless carriers over $200 million for illegally sharing access to customers’ location data.

The FCC said it had fined T-Mobile (NASDAQ:TMUS) over $91 million, Sprint $12 million, AT&T (NYSE:T) $57 million, and Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) $47 million. "

"The Federal Communications Commission said on Monday it had fined the largest U.S. wireless carriers over $200 million for illegally sharing access to customers’ location data.

The FCC said it had fined T-Mobile (NASDAQ:TMUS) over $91 million, Sprint $12 million, AT&T (NYSE:T) $57 million, and Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) $47 million. "
Amazing, they’re all criminals whether they’re successful on appeal or not.
Here you are paying for service from these companies and their doubling back and making huge profits selling your information.

It’s not even like a free app where that money pays for the app or the free service. Unbelievable, great post.
Lucky the FCC cares because most of the public is always out to lunch anyway

I read the article and doesn't surprise me. Also doesn't surprise me that they are appealing the decision. What happens to the fine money? Who gets it?

""This industry-wide third-party aggregator location-based services program was discontinued more than five years ago," said T-Mobile. The company added that it plans to challenge the FCC's decision, calling the fine excessive."

I'd like to know how there gonna get any money out of Sprint .

Scroll to the bottom of the user agreement and click "accept"
Then pay higher service prices once the government has established they violated your "rights" and "fined them" for doing so, which the government can do at any time via patriot act legislation.
Gov gets the fine money, that you will ultimately pay, plus the addition tax money from your new higher bill, but that doesn't mean they can't do the same thing.

Back