FCA 62te transmission whine

JC1

Started getting a whining noise Thursday night and more Friday evening in the Grand Caravan 2015. No lights light on the dash. This just started on Thursday night when I pulled into the driveway at home. Friday went to pickup a pizza and the noise was louder and the tranny slipped a little. Didn't get it past 35 mph/60 kmh in town. Noise seems to go away when you are not at low speeds (under 20 mph).

It's the tranny and not the power steering pump since the pump is on the left side of the end (passenger side) and the tranny in the driver side underneath the battery.

Saturday I checked the fluid levels which were fine and I added just a bit more fluid.

I checked youtube and Chrysler forums. Sounds like the issue might be the compounder assembly that may be failing.

Tranny only has 88,xxx kms (55,xxx miles on it). I changed tranny fluid with ATF+4 about 18 months ago and dropped the pan and changed the filter at that time.

Anybody experience this problem with the 62te transmission? Most online posts mention up to model years 2014. Unfortunately warranty was up last September and I didn't get an extended warranty.

Attached is a link to the noise it's making. Let me know if the link works or not.

Is your dealer competent enough that you'd trust an initial diagnosis from them? If not, I know a world class tech that's not far from you who works at a dealership.

Reactions: JC1
Link worked for me. I have a bad feeling your converter is going plugging up the filter causing the pump to whine

only way to know would be pull the pan and put a new filter and fluid in it. If it goes away (temporarily anyways) it’s the torque converter failing

I have worked on dozens and dozens of these since they came out in 07 I’m a dealer tech for what it’s worth

Is your dealer competent enough that you'd trust an initial diagnosis from them? If not, I know a world class tech that's not far from you who works at a dealership.
I've never taken the van back to the dealer in the 5 1/2 years that I've owned it. I've done all my own service.

Link worked for me. I have a bad feeling your converter is going plugging up the filter causing the pump to whine

only way to know would be pull the pan and put a new filter and fluid in it. If it goes away (temporarily anyways) it’s the torque converter failing

I have worked on dozens and dozens of these since they came out in 07 I’m a dealer tech for what it’s worth

I might do that, but it's pain doing that in January-march. Any idea how much metal I would see in the pan? How long does it take for any codes to come up on the computer?

It won’t be some sort of obvious metal. Mostly black fuzz on the magnet. It’s just will the noise be gone with a fresh filter or not. It’s the converter internals plugging the filter making the pump whine VERY common on that trans in that mileage range

It won’t be some sort of obvious metal. Mostly black fuzz on the magnet. It’s just will the noise be gone with a fresh filter or not. It’s the converter internals plugging the filter making the pump whine VERY common on that trans in that mileage range
Thanks. Does the plugged filter cause the tranny to fail or its the torque converter that's on its way out?

The first codes that usually come up is p083b, p0944, if you are driving it a lot when it wants to get fussy usually p0733 and p0734 come up too.
You can do the 3 key cycle on and off on your van to read the codes

it’s a good chance if it’s what I think it is it will leave you stranded

either way you will need at least a torque converter. Most will sell you a transmission ans

I had this exact thing happen on a 2013 grand caravan with 170k miles on it. I had been religious about fluid changes, torque converter just goes out sometimes I guess. I had a local transmission shop rebuild it for $3000. It's still going strong with my brother, at around 230k miles now.

I had this exact thing happen on a 2013 grand caravan with 170k miles on it. I had been religious about fluid changes, torque converter just goes out sometimes I guess. I had a local transmission shop rebuild it for $3000. It's still going strong with my brother, at around 230k miles now.
Thanks. I'm going to call around. 3k seems steep, I know there is labour but prices for torque converters are around $250-350 from what I see. I'm debating on whether to unload this van after I get this addressed. I took a chance on FCA products and this sucks for quality.

Pulling the pan is the only way to know if the TC is coming apart......If it is, Throw in a new filter & some ATF & drive it straight to a dealer to trade it in, It will be auctioned to a slimy tote the note car lot & they deserve every screwing they get.

Simply replacing the TC is not something I would recommend as you will likely be paying to have the whole thing gone through sooner rather than later.

Pulling the pan is the only way to know if the TC is coming apart......If it is, Throw in a new filter & some ATF & drive it straight to a dealer to trade it in, It will be auctioned to a slimy tote the note car lot & they deserve every screwing they get.

Simply replacing the TC is not something I would recommend as you will likely be paying to have the whole thing gone through sooner rather than later.
Thanks Cline.

I called a few places this morning and they said that they would look at everything and replace what was needed. Sounds like the torque converters are a weak spot. Don't know what I'm going to do yet.

Thanks Cline.

I called a few places this morning and they said that they would look at everything and replace what was needed. Sounds like the torque converters are a weak spot. Don't know what I'm going to do yet.
Not sure how pricing compares in Canada, but my local dealer keeps the reman transmission in stock and list is $2635.

Not sure how pricing compares in Canada, but my local dealer keeps the reman transmission in stock and list is $2635.

That price is about $3350 CDN before taxes.
I got guestimates from $2600 to $3800 (which has a 3 year 60000 km) warranty.

One shop says there are 5 different things they address and replace with improved aftermarket parts.

As Cline said you probably want to change everything out if doing the job. The van is paid for, if I go get something else I don't want a new vehicle with payments etc. If the van was older who would care. Just wondering if I repair this, will it be good for another 5 years.

Overkill, gave me a guy to call. He's an FCA tech. Spoke to him about the issues. He said the Torque converter job would be around $1300 plus taxes. It may also need a pump which he can only tell has failed once it's apart. They offer 2 years parts and labor warranty. He obviously knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Back