Power steering pump just got louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy fellow oil lovers:
1995 Olds Cutlass Ciera, 144000 miles on a 3.1 V-6 auto tranny.

While checking my clunky/grindy front end, I jacked the car up so I could better inspect what might be wrong and making the noise. The passenger side front tire was in the air, and drivers side tire was on the ground. I did turn the steering wheel to the right and then to the left without the engine running, (better to see the front suspension), when I lowered it and started the car, the power steering pump started to whine and growl like an angry dog watching the mailman bring bills on a cloudy afternoon.

Plenty of fluid in system - does anyone know what might have happened? Why has my pump suddenly gotten loud and what can I do to quiet it down?

I should have posted this with original post - did a flush and new fluid exchange about a month ago. All has been well until I jacked the car up to check the suspension because suspension has been making clunky noise.

Sounds like air somehow got into the system by cycling it with the engine off.Could be a sign the pump isnt far from failing.When a pump sounds like a Ford pump all the time (growly),its not right.

In some principle, that's rue. But then by association brake fluid would work? And we don't use that do we
grin.gif

Check your owners manual or under hood for a specification and come back.

Quote:
But then by association brake fluid would work?

Oh man, let's not bring brake fluid into the discussion lest someone think they can use brake fluid in a PS system and destroy it.

Different hydraulic systems require different fluids with different base oils, which I think is the point you're making.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back