Favorite tire place? : Chain, independent, online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you normally buy your tires?

Used I get from an independent.
New I usually get from Discount Tire.

Discount tire if I just need tires, Tire discounters if I need alignment work. They are next to each other here.

Discount tire has treated me well for both cars. That's where I go. Other places try to oversell me.

Since 2004 only one place, Discount Tire. As long as I'm able to drive, or unlikely event of moving to an area with no DT, don't foresee that changing.

Costco.

They usually have a good sale pretty often, like $70 off and 1 cent tire installation and that comes with lifetime rotation, balance and a 5 year road hazard warranty.

Costco has good prices on tires and installation. The downside can be multi hours wait for rotations.

Especially in cities with large populations.

Last edited:
Independent dealer if they have up to date mounting & balancing equipment as I can specify the manufacturing date (Not Older than...)
Generally they compete with the chains and IMO you get better qualified personnel.

Tires Plus has been pretty good to us. Lots of work done there with no complaints. The last alignment job they did for me turned into and expensive project but the problem was legit, they used brand-name parts and the car felt great afterwards. Counterpeople there are usually good.

First work at Mr. Tire (ordered tires, got alignment) was real good, guy behind the counter was personable, etc. But the second time for just in-stock tires and no alignment turned into hours of waiting and nothing but excuses and resulted in four tires from three different build dates many months apart, one of which was the dusty, 'plasticy' tire on display in the waiting room. That was the last time I'll ever use them.

Merchants a long time ago was kinda slow and I had to point out to the kid installing tires on my AWD car that one of them was obviously the wrong size. I shouldn't have to do that.

Whoever has the best sale. Discount Tire refused to rotate my tires, once they turned ten years old. I had been buying from them for 20 years. According to the high school rocket scientist. Ten year old tires are not serviceable. Lol

Discount Tire.

Although last time I took in a wheel from my aunt's 2016 Avalon last year that had a nail in it. When I went to pick it up it was scratched in some places through the clear coat. They didn't want to do anything about it, then finally offered to have it refinished. No, it's not going to match long term, and what's she going to drive on in the meantime? The car was still brand new with 6k miles.

I usually get my tires at Walmart
27.gif

Besides the good price and lifetime balance and rotation, they use proper torque instead of overtorquing with the air gun. They don't try to up-sell you anything since they don't do anything besides tires and oil changes
45.gif

Firestone.. within a couple miles of the house. I can drop it off with my bike and continue on to work. That's the only Firestone I'll go to. Tried another in a pinch since they didn't have a particular tire.. tried the normal antics. goodbye! Taking the Escape tomorrow so after that all the vehicles will have tires from there.

Last 4 Tire purchases...
Discount Tire(2003)
Discount Tire(2008)
Tire Rack, shipped to and installed at Local Ford Dealer(2012)
Local independent(2016)

Discount Tire opened a new store in my town, right in front of my work, jan 2018. (previous discount tire purchases were in Columbus, Oh - 100mi away, bought the first set when i lived down there, liked the service, went back(and visited friends) when i needed to replace them.)

Lex Brodies which is a local tire chain here in HI. One of the few shops that can do larger tire installs no questions asked.

I buy using Tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com. Not because of price, but rather I don't care for salesmen in general (not necessarily the salesmen themselves, but the whole person to person sales experience) and buying online allows me to take my time, do research, compare, etc. all from the comfort of my computer chair. I don't mind hauling the tires to a local garage to have them put on.

Tirerack.com is a great resource and their selection is second to none. Their prices are not always the best, especially when you factor in shipping, but I used to live within 60 miles of a TR warehouse and used will call instead of paying shipping. If I can save money and they have the tire I want, I use DTD. Prices buying online are usually, but not always better than retail. If I spent time looking for discounts, rebates, black Friday deals, etc. I could certainly beat online prices buying local, but then I'm forced to call around and find out what places carry, if they have my size in stock, and it's a hassle when I have all the information I need in front of me when buying online.

Edit: I did buy a set of tires at Walmart a couple years ago. Needed tires @ last minute before a cross country move, and Walmart carried a tire I was going to buy online anyway, but I couldn't wait for shipping. Their price was great, service was too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back