Favorite fixed blade knife ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you familiar with the Canadian Belt Knife? It's become a "type", with more copies & knock-offs than anyone could keep track of. Still offered by one of the original makers in several variations.

I have *Way* too many knives. Of them all, the only one with both sentimental & practical value is my Herter's knife. It's a blatant knock-off of the Canadian Belt Knife pattern, made with good carbon steel, a little thicker-bladed/heavier(and stronger too, I imagine) than the "real things". Dad ordered 2 of 'em, probably in 1966, so we'd both have one for deer season. Back then they probably cost less than $5 each. I still have my knife & both of the original sheaths. We don't know whatever happened to Dad's, but he probably lost it building deer stands.

Any good quality version of the CBK is an *excellent* all-around outdoorsman's knife. Most, like the originals, have blades about 4" long- but don't discount it just because you were thinking of a 5-6" blade. If you've never seen or handled one, be warned- you'll think it looks funny. Pick it up & handle it, you'll want one. Carry & use one for a while, you may well be hooked for life. And if you *must* have a longer blade- there are some longer versions too. If you haven't bought anything yet, at least give 'em a look.
wink.gif

Link to Grohmanns, http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html

Also, google search for: canadian belt knife

Last edited:
Yes its been awhile on this topic, I ended up ordering several and all good knives indeed, but the ESEE 5 is without question my new "go to" knife for field. I passed on the plastic sheath in favor of ordering a custom for it. Patrioutleather out of TN. is custom building my sheath for me, I should have it in just a few days. With that said I will always find a excuse to buy more knives.. I just wanted to post up how impressd I am with the ESEE 5. Its one serious knife.

I only own three knives;
A folding CRKT Mirage for everyday use, a Martindale Golok (13" machete) for garden use and a Ganjawal Kukri I got from a knife maker in Nepal.

They're all my favourite in that they're all indispensable and do what I need them to do very well, but if I had to pick one it would have to be the Kukri - it even has all the little tools like tweezers, scraper, karda, checkmark, pencil, the leather pouch and it feels SO solid - even though I rarely use it it is not just my favourite knife but my favourite TOOL, period.

Are you allowed to own knives in England? I thought they would be banned for public safety...particularly a Kukri...which is a fighting knife...with only one purpose: to kill.

An assault knife...no?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Are you allowed to own knives in England? I thought they would be banned for public safety...particularly a Kukri...which is a fighting knife...with only one purpose: to kill.

An assault knife...no?
grin.gif

Yes and no - the laws enacted to curtail knife crime seemed to be aimed at criminal youth - no fixed blades in public, no folders more than 3". Exceptions exist, for example if you work in forestry you can have axes etc, the chef on his way to work is allowed to carry his cooking knives, the carpet fitter always needs a stanley blade etc..

It's about context - hacking away at weeds in the garden is a perfectly acceptable time to wield a 14" machete and nobody asks any question. Walk down the high street carrying it on your back with a crazy look in your eye and you can expect the tactical police to pay you a visit..

Also, religious use such as Sikhs carrying traditional knives, historical reenactment groups, anything deemed curiosity/collectible/antique is unregulated so long as you use it properly.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

An assault knife...no?
grin.gif

Also, the Ganjawal Kukri is not a fighting knife, it is the traditional general use kukri, cooking, gardening, fashioning small tools and items, the Ganjawal is their Swiss army knife..
The police issue kukri and Gurkha kukri are longer with a different profile and far fewer tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back