Faulty Purolator filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always clean the mating surface, make sure there is no gasket remaining from the filter. I run the filter down by hand, then about 1/2-3/4 of a turn with the wrench. No leaks, never had a problem getting one off. Even a full turn with a wrench never posed a problem. My Jeep makes getting a filter hand tight nearly impossible. That one I snug with the wrench then add 1/2-3/4 turn, no problems to report.

Sorry you had a problem. I agree with others on contacting Purolator if you think the filter was faulty. I probably would have just changed the filter, but thats me.

If you don't send it in, or get an exchange from AAP, you should cut it open to check it out.

I always put some kind of mark or a piece of tape on the dome during installation so I have a gauge to go by to get it at least 3/4+ turn tight.

The PureONE is easier to hand tighten to 3/4 turn with the grippy coating.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
I always put some kind of mark or a piece of tape on the dome during installation so I have a gauge to go by to get it at least 3/4+ turn tight.

The PureONE is easier to hand tighten to 3/4 turn with the grippy coating.
It does make installation easier, IMO. I like it.

I usually just sort of note what part of the label I can see and get it most of the way back around.

Love the canister cap on my Ecotec. Just snug it up lightly with the breaker bar.

mating surface may not have been clean enough or old gasket material may have been present.

May have been over tightened

may have been oil spill/pooling from previous filter removal and still driping from frame.

may have been a filter defect

Like I said before I have changed oil for around 20 years, and I'm just 33 !! That being said I'm as prone, maybe even more so to mistakes than anyone else. I always check, and then double check to make sure the gasket is on the oil filter, and then a quick wipe around the oil filter mating surface with a paper towel just to make sure I don't feel anything stuck. I also pour a small amount of oil into/onto the top of the filter, then rub this oil around the gasket to saturate the gasket.

I'm a Machine Technician by trade, and also was/am a Chronic Technician (kinda one step above the machine tech) I always hand tighten the oil filter, and never had one leak. This oil filter was also on tight I checked when removing the filter. I have gone over in my head of the many things I could have done wrong to cause this, and none have shown up. There are two things that could have happened that I can think of, these are a faulty oil filter as I think is the most likely situation, or a piece of grit had gotten between the gasket, and mating surface. The second is highly unlikely as I think anything big enough to cause a problem would have shown up when I remove the filter, however I guess it could have dropped off, or even run out with the oil in the filter.

Oil was dripping from filter edge itself, and had been dripping enough to spot where I parked, and the car does not leak oil. I wiped the oil as mentioned in previous post at the rim of the filter, and almost immediately the oil reappeared in the form of a oil droplet which looked to come from the area of the gasket, however you can't really see exactly where the oil came from on the lip of filter, I just assumed the gasket area as the gasket is just a couple mm inside the lip/rim.

I can snap a picture, and I will (not tonight lol to cold) however the filter is flawless by looking at it, well with my eye anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, and help, I plan to contact purolator to see what they have to say, I will point out all of the things I have went over (the many post have been a lot of help to help me organize a email/phone conversation) I left off several things in the post that I just do without thinking of even noting it in this post. If the filter had blown up, or something major had happened I may have a entirely different opinion, however on this one situation I do not hold it against the manufacture, and I do admit to using purolator filters over others if cost is close to the same, and the pure one is my go to filter. I have run the pure one for 15k and more with zero problems, so even if this was another brand I would not criticize a manufacture for this problem.

Another note I will not ask for a refund on the oil, as was post be several members it was my choice to change out perfectly good oil because of a leak at the filter. However if having to do this over again I would again choose to change the oil out just the same as I done, but the filter manufacture (in this case purolator) does not owe me for a complete oil change. However if Purolator wants to show me some real love by giving me free oil filters for the rest of my life I would maybe even put one of those Nascar stickers on the side of my car for advertising purposes just out of respect LOL.. all joking aside I hope purolator can shed some light on what happened I will be glad to send the oil filter to them to check out for me, and hope they will replace it for me, if it was something I done I would love to learn from my mistake.

It was however really cold this morning, my rear is just getting warmed back up LOL

Pull the gasket out of the groove in the filter and see how the groove looks ... maybe there is something in or a flaw in the gasket groove.

If it was not gasket related, then it was probably leaking from the crimp seal around the base plate.

rclint - before you removed the filter, did you try tightening it further to see if the leak would slow down? I'm asking this because sometimes on my mom's Malibu even though I know I tightened the filter properly, I've had it work itself slightly loose, just enough to make a few small drips on the ground. I re-tightened it and it was good to go, no more leakage.

Before I drained that PP, I would have grabbed a filter wrench and turned it a quarter-to-half turn more.

I always grab a wrench after hand-tightening filters. At least a quarter turn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back