Fast charging system for electric bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Ah yes; fear, uncertainty and doubt. The same buggy whip tactics they used with those monstrous horseless carriages. Scare little kids and horses. And gasoline, oh my goodness. The world will be in flames.

I'm sure they are working on the kinks and making safe ways to charge at the high current rates. They call this progress and innovation.

And I still stand by my statement that if you want to present these improvements as fact, you have to firstly grasp what on Earth you are talking about regarding power flows and energy storage.

Casting my questions regarding your statements as FUD when you clearly have no grasp on those two fundamentals does not will them into being.

You aren't engaging in debate...throwing nonsense out, and buggywhipping scientific questions isn't response.

Are you still an advocate of suicide plugged solar panels, and tipping used oil on the ground and calling it asphalt ?

There's science in both fields, solar energy and road construction...and you discount those as well.

Lazard's levelised cost of storage is over $200/MWh round cycle "cost plus"...i.e. charge it for free, and you need 20c/KWh on the offtake just to make up for the lifecycle cost of the containerised batteries.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Lazard's levelised cost of storage is over $200/MWh round cycle "cost plus"...i.e. charge it for free, and you need 20c/KWh on the offtake just to make up for the lifecycle cost of the containerised batteries.

And of course we know nobody is going to be charging for free at these stations once EV's achieve significant market penetration.

So let's analyze this a bit further:

We'll need a replacement for the current fuel tax, I'll use Ontario as an example:
- Federal excise tax, $0.10/L
- Provincial excise tax, $0.147/L
- Carbon tax, $0.043/L
- Harmonized Sales Tax, $0.13/L

Now, assuming the generator is already paying the carbon tax, if it is Natural Gas, we can omit that from the above.

Consumption of an electric vehicle in kWh is somewhat similar to consumption in a gasoline vehicle in Litres. For example the Chevy Bolt has a range listed as 383Km on its 60kWh battery. That's 6.38Km per kWh. The Chevy Sonic is listed as getting 9.2L/100Km in-town, which converts to 10.87Km per L.

So let's take the numbers that gasoline users presently pay and include our storage and electricity costs:

$0.10/kWh
$0.147/kWh
$0.13/kWh
$0.20/kWh
$0.145/kWh -> Current IESO price paid in Ontario wholesale

Which gives us a total of $0.722/kWh. Using this number, to charge our Chevy Bolt the cost would be $43.32, which puts it in a position cost-wise that is quite similar to gasoline. To fill a Tesla Model S with the 90kWh battery we are looking at $64.98.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back