Fascinating study on Ravenol 0w16 vs 5w30 in fleet of similar autos

Originally Posted by dave1251
Well some folks will change AP at 10K because it's cheap insurance and they don't feel like pushing a oil with a 20K recommended OCI further then half the recommendation.

They are free to do so. It's just a waste of money but can we really put a price on piece of mind for that individual?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by KrisZ
The 20k mile Mobil test proves that the oil can do that OCI under specific circumstances, that is all. However that test has little relevance to how most vehicles are operated. Is it better than nothing, sure, but it should not be taken as proof that an avrrage commuter can now do 20k OCIs.

By the way, my current fill is an M1 that I'm close to completing a 15k kilometers (almost 10k miles) OCI. So it's not like I consider the product inferior just because their tests are questionable in my view.

For sure, and we would run UOA's before daring that mileage without confirmation.

I'm sure it will offer reasonable protection to the 20K mile limit though for untested by UOA applications because their reputation is on the line.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
I hope so. Would be nice to see their products in store over here.

The proof will be in the pudding, as it were. It would seem that Ravenol is serious about pushing the latest specs and high end base stocks and combining that with an F1 lubricant partnership, which is going to cost them tens of millions of dollars a year. In that environment, the money being spent won't be enough to get the job done. They'll actually have to formulate bespoke lubes and do it right. If this is a sincere effort and the right work is done, it could pay off handsomely. If they're playing games, they're going to be flushing a boatload of money down the toilet.

All you can really surmise is that it has no VII rubber and a lot of Moly.

Marketing works on people who refuse to think critically....It's a multi-TRILLION dollar industry because a lot of people can't think.
Any criticism of "their brand" is always a personal attack in their minds because they have a tribal/team mentality.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Just looking at the stats on that oil....Wow, that's the lowest pour point I've seen of any 0w20....-81.4 degrees farenheit! It also has one of the highest flash point, too, at 464 degrees F! Only M1 AP is higher at 467.6. Impressive!

However the test was tilted to favor the Ravenol, if at all, I have always thought the thickies around here should concede that a high quality 0w20 would provide better protection than an average 5w30, but they seem to avoid even that concession.

I'd love to see them run their oil in the same test against a high volume, popular brand 0w20 like PP, Valvoline, M1, or Castrol.

Is Ravenol considered to be one of the best out there, or parallel to a mass market synthetic?

I'll concede for a new tight engine. But a Ford 5.0L V8 with near 250,000 miles - sorry but the bearings would not live another week on 0W-16 ... It's all about the right viscosity for the application at hand.

Ravenol is usually excellent oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
All you can really surmise is that it has no VII rubber and a lot of Moly.

Marketing works on people who refuse to think critically....It's a multi-TRILLION dollar industry because a lot of people can't think.
Any criticism of "their brand" is always a personal attack in their minds because they have a tribal/team mentality.

+1

"Advertising is at the front of delivering the proper message to customers and prospective customers. The purpose of advertising is to inform the consumers about their product and convince customers that a company's services or products are the best, enhance the image of the company, point out and create a need for products or services, demonstrate new uses for established products, announce new products and programs, reinforce the salespeople's individual messages, draw customers to the business, and to hold existing customers"

- Taylor, John (1978). How to start and succeed in a business of your own. p. 293

Key phrases here are "delivering the proper message to customers" and "convince customers that a company's services or products are the best".

It's really very simple.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
"Advertising is at the front of delivering the proper message to customers and prospective customers. The purpose of advertising is to inform the consumers about their product and convince customers that a company's services or products are the best, enhance the image of the company, point out and create a need for products or services, demonstrate new uses for established products, announce new products and programs, reinforce the salespeople's individual messages, draw customers to the business, and to hold existing customers"

- Taylor, John (1978). How to start and succeed in a business of your own. p. 293

Key phrases here are "delivering the proper message to customers" and "convince customers that a company's services or products are the best".

It's really very simple.

True and it's also been said over the years to not believe everything you read or hear.

No company is going to advertise their products as average or as good as everyone else. So we see the key words like outstanding and fantastic. It is up to us to make that final judgement whether by inspection or by experience in usage.

In the end, Ravenol's advertising is no different that Shell or Exxon Mobil or any other brand of oil. Advertising is meant to put the best statistics and results in front of consumers who then make judgements before buying.

FWIW.

I happen to have used both Ravenol 0W16 and Citgo 0W16 in a hybrid car, each for many tens of thousands of miles.

Not surprisingly, the expensive PAO based Ravenol had no oil consumption.

The economy Group III based Citgo did have oil consumption, in a vehicle with 45k miles on it.

They both performed adequately, albeit with no UOA's, but merely general impressions.

This was simply another case of matching the motor oil to the vehicle and circumstances.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
...I happen to have used both Ravenol 0W16 and Citgo 0W16 in a hybrid car, each for many tens of thousands of miles.
The economy Group III based Citgo did have oil consumption, ...
Which one first? Any more details? Did they perform noticeably different from 0W-20 (or whatever other grade you may have used)?

"They both performed adequately, albeit with no UOA's, but merely general impressions"

What does that even mean?

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by emod
The oil-club.ru had an analysis of this oil. It was made in 2015. Here it is:

[Linked Image]

And this is an FTIR of the oil:
[Linked Image]

This is the oil that was tested:
[Linked Image]

The analysis is no longer available in the oil-club.ru, as the discussion of the Ravenol's oils in this forum was forbidden - a conflict between the oil-club.ru and the company Ravenol.

Why was it a conflict?

Seem to recall some drastic differences between VOAs on the same grade Ravenol oil on the RU oil club site, from different batches, suggesting quality control issues. Either someone was manipulating data, or they did indeed have QC issues, or bad lab testing, or . . . . . Sure Ravenol was not happy about it in any event.

To be clear, I don't know that this was the actual issue between Ravenol and the RU oil club, I'm just guessing.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
...I happen to have used both Ravenol 0W16 and Citgo 0W16 in a hybrid car, each for many tens of thousands of miles.
The economy Group III based Citgo did have oil consumption, ...
Which one first? Any more details? Did they perform noticeably different from 0W-20 (or whatever other grade you may have used)?

Ravenol went first, for about 40k miles, with OCIs of 10k miles.
There was a slight improvement in fuel economy,
and a noticable improvement in performance.

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
"They both performed adequately, albeit with no UOA's, but merely general impressions"

What does that even mean?

I can't say much without UOAs.
My engine did not explode.
Sorry, that's all I got.

I would think it is no surprise that the Citgo had some consumption.
The Ravenol though, with no consumption...my rudimentary impression is that it is a stellar oil.

Long ago, I read Shannow's comments about favoring Ravenol 0W16, with it's low NOACK and low VI, over Japanese style, high VI/high VII 0W20's. I have used, for example, Sustina 0W20, and would concur. Scientist and consumer. Shannow has me convinced .It's really common sense. I would never use thin oil in a mismatched vehicle.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You already have 71K on a 2018 Tacoma?...... wow!
Your life in the past year has been inside the cab of that truck.

My story reads similar to the man in North Carolina,
recently posted on BITOG,
and made public..
We have similar jobs.

I work about 350 calendar days per year,
and drive between 200and 300 miles per day.
I had a 2005 Tacoma 2TR FE 2.7L 4 cylinder,
the same drivetrain as his truck,
and put 750k miles on it before totaling it.

This time I went for the same, durable, tried and true engine.
It was very interesting to hear NC man's comments
about oil consumption rate,
and his maintenance plan.

Frankly, if a driver drives every day,
and most of it is freeway driving,
that is not very hard on an engine.

Back