Fascinating demand and prices for single family homes in Guymon, OK

You may remember in your last Douglas Az thread I mentioned friends who grew up in Douglas moved away, recently retired and moved back to Sierra Vista. I talked with him after you posted the thread and he said Douglas is a hard no. There's a reason a 3500 sq ft house on 40 acres is that price. Hope you find it and could live with whatever it is. And it's 2 long day's drive to Castle Rock. If you have to be in southern Az look at Sierra Vista, you could walk to work.
AZJ,

Thanks so much for your input/ comments. I am just in dream land, seeing those 40 flat acres and being able to park my trucks and trailers..... and having dirt bikes for the grandkids......

Grandkids are four and two years old. My Daughter and her husband both work in Denver. My Daughter can work from anywhere, but here husband is a field rep based in Denver. I have wished for years he would get a job somewhere else, but my wish- not his.

I was not around much of my kids growing up as my work required extensive travel for extended periods of time. I enjoy the grandkids immensely and appreciate the opportunity to get a "second chance" as a grandparent.

Here are a few pics of what fun is it with the grandkids, they came to visit us in Seattle last month. The older grandson caught his first fish, went on a detailed tour of a UH60 (grateful to the Warrant Officer for doing this), and of course no trip with Grandpa is complete with a trip to a donut shop.
Do you think his employer would transfer him? Where does his parents live?

Last edited:
Do you think his employer would transfer him? Where does his parents live?
He has no plans on moving to the best of my knowledge. Either does our Daughter, she likes Denver. She is a awesome daughter, but picked Castle Rock on the criteria of the time to a Starbucks and a TJ Maxx.... not kidding.

My Daughter is very good (especially when compared to our two adult Sons). You would always want her on your team at work. Although her college was paid for, she earned straight As, double major and graduated in 3.5 years. I only share this as she chose to work in a Potbelly's sandwich shop while in college, as to not be financially dependent on us.

Our Daughter is a consultant on projects for startup Healthcare organizations. Recently on a contract she was working, the startup asked to renegotiate her hourly rate, that was agreed to in writing. My Daughter said no, so the startup cancelled the contract, which they had the right to do. She could not handle being "fired" and went back and renegotiated the contract. She doesn't need the contract nor the money, she just couldn't handle losing a job because of how she negotiated. My Daughter talked to me about it, my only suggestion was to not ask the startup to reconsider the cancelled contract, but instead to "take a second look", that you made revisions to the contract that may match better. She got the contract back..... Big shots don't like to reconsider anything...... but Big Shots will take a second look if asked, life lesson.....

He has no plans on moving to the best of my knowledge. Either does our Daughter, she likes Denver. She is a awesome daughter, but picked Castle Rock on the criteria of the time to a Starbucks and a TJ Maxx.... not kidding.

My Daughter is very good (especially when compared to our two adult Sons). You would always want her on your team at work. Although her college was paid for, she earned straight As, double major and graduated in 3.5 years. I only share this as she chose to work in a Potbelly's sandwich shop while in college, as to not be financially dependent on us.

Our Daughter is a consultant on projects for startup Healthcare organizations. Recently on a contract she was working, the startup asked to renegotiate her hourly rate, that was agreed to in writing. My Daughter said no, so the startup cancelled the contract, which they had the right to do. She could not handle being "fired" and went back and renegotiated the contract. She doesn't need the contract nor the money, she just couldn't handle losing a job because of how she negotiated. My Daughter talked to me about it, my only suggestion was to not ask the startup to reconsider the cancelled contract, but instead to "take a second look", that you made revisions to the contract that may match better. She got the contract back..... Big shots don't like to reconsider anything...... but Big Shots will take a second look if asked, life lesson.....
I would consider buying a gut-rehab bungalow in Colorado. Something which will be easy to sell and is close to adequate medical care facilities.

Reading the suggestions to get the kids/grandkids to move from Denver is a non-starter in my book. Sounds like the husband is invested in a Career in the location they are in and the daughter likes it there. Good for them.

If my parents started getting on me about moving somewhere closer to them, there would be words...

The desired budget, driving miles, etc are all self imposed restraints. If the goal is to be close to the grandkids, one may have to pay to play...

Reading the suggestions to get the kids/grandkids to move from Denver is a non-starter in my book. Sounds like the husband is invested in a Career in the location they are in and the daughter likes it there. Good for them.

If my parents started getting on me about moving somewhere closer to them, there would be words...

The desired budget, driving miles, etc are all self imposed restraints. If the goal is to be close to the grandkids, one may have to pay to play...
It's not your parents but your wife's parents and if they were going to spend some $$ to move near you they would want some reasonable assurance that you wouldn't just get a hair up your [blank] and decide to move the family across the country.

Vernal could be the city of their dreams, or not.
With the respect to the nice people who live there-it's hard to believe Vernal is the city of anybody's dreams....Here is the bottom line. All these places with depressed (cheap) real estate prices are basically marginal to bad areas, in the middle of no where, or the prices wouldn't be depressed. IT'S REALLY THAT SIMPLE.

Last edited:
It's not your parents but your wife's parents and if they were going to spend some $$ to move near you they would want some reasonable assurance that you wouldn't just get a hair up your [blank] and decide to move the family across the country.

Being blunt, my wife's parents (or mine for that matter) can choose to live where ever they want. Close to me, far away - they are adults and get to choose on there own.

Similarly, I (and my spouse) get to decide where we live. Guess I should be grateful to have a family on both sides that is supportive of our lives and careers - regardless of where it takes us.

I'm in a situation with family about 950 miles away. Glad there has never been a "you have to be closer to us" conversation other than in joking fashion.

If it was my choice; I would just move a mobile home on Slo-Town's central California estate and squat when he was on one of his out-of-town weekend racetrack endeavors - knowing the authorities would be slow to kick me out.... And after seven years of free squatting, maybe I would be grandfathered into the plot of land the mobile home was on.... I don't know California's squatting laws, if any.
GON, haha. We have a nearby area with some manufactured homes. They are really nice and are in a nice little neighborhood. You don't own the land but this little community isn't going anywhere. IMO, these places are a bargain for the price.

Nothing is for sale right now, but I think they would fit your budget. Here is a good example. https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...t-Way-Spc-100_Templeton_CA_93465_M95058-93093

For your wife, she might like this. It is a very popular church in the area. https://abcchurch.org

I can't speak highly enough about the Central Coast Wine Country. IMO, it's idyllic here. Also too, "Central California" has an entirely different meaning than the "Central Coast".

Scott

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GON
I know how you feel - we have wanted to buy a place at the beach for a long time but figured we should be conservative and wait till the kids get through college no knowing how much it would cost. Well fortunately college has cost much less than expected, but prices at the beach have blown out the top.

No one can predict the future, but everything financial needs a catalyst. The catalyst for the current boom was ultra low interest rates, lots of jobs, and lots of stimulus, coupled with people thinking they would work from home forever, etc. So IMHO the catalyst for increasing prices is over.

The question becomes, is there a catalyst for it to drop, or does it simply move sideways for a while?

You can find almost any statistic you want from the St. Louis fed. Here is national housing prices. The highlights are mine - highlighting a housing price tripling from 1970-80, the last housing bubble and resulting pop, and the current spike. If you can predict the future, let me know - I would like to be ahead of the next cycle whatever it is.

1663689306097.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Did the 2020 spike in prices have anything to do with very low interest rates and trillions pumped into the economy ….. ?

Did the 2020 spike in prices have anything to do with very low interest rates and trillions pumped into the economy ….. ?
IMO the answer is "kind of". You had millions who discovered they could work from home in just about anywhere combined with the crash in rates. You can save a lot of money working from home and some of it goes a long way on a historically low interest mortgage payment.

You also had a great reset in terms of employee pay. All of this occurred during a decades long undersupply of newly built homes.

Skyactiv,

Are you sure- we saw a picture of you and someone under the sheets in that Holiday Inn Express......
That was my wife trying to hide from me getting a pic of her. That was in Lafayette, IN
I usually don't cuddle and keep my distance as I'm a light sleeper. I sleep on my stomach with a pillow and blanket over my head and block out the world.

Back