Farewell to my Charger SRT

That's the problem with reasonably-priced performance cars. They're really affordable when they hit the used car lot, so any old thug or dip**** can afford one, and they're not that worried about ruining them.

We called this FPFQ on the GTO(late model) forum. Falling Prices, Falling Quality of members.

Went from well off, middle aged, car enthusiasts who could acutally afford a new, 2 door sports car and whatever other car they needed for the rest of the year, to a bunch of clowns who bought a used $10000 GTO on credit.

I've said all along Chrysler ZF8 is not the good ZF8, lol! In fact they license and build them for cheaper than the real ZF transmission, for many applications. Because Chrysler.

Except his IS the "good" ZF8, because it's in an SRT.

The two versions produced by FCA for use behind FCA V6 engines are the 845RE and the 850RE, which are exclusively placed behind the Pentastar.

The version in the DT RAM 1500 is the 8HP75, the same unit as used in the BMW X5M and X6M, while the 8HP70 is used in the DS RAM's and Jeep V8's, along with the OP's SRT Charger, most BMW's, Austin Martin's and Jags.

The Hellcat gets the 8HP90, which is the same one used in the Audi SQ7.

The TRX and Grand Cherokee TrackHawk get the 8HP95, which is shared with a couple premium Rolls Royce models and the Austin Martin DBS.

Last edited:

The two versions produced by FCA for use behind FCA V6 engines are the 845RE and the 850RE, which are exclusively placed behind the Pentastar.

The version in the DT RAM 1500 is the 8HP75, the same unit as used in the BMW X5M and X6M, while the 8HP70 is used in the DS RAM's and Jeep V8's, along with the OP's SRT Charger, most BMW's, Austin Martin's and Jags.

The TRX and Grand Cherokee TrackHawk get the 8HP95, which is shared with a couple premium Rolls Royce models and the Austin Martin DBS.
Shame it didn't get the good tuning.

The rumor mill is saying 2023 will be the last year of the current Charger/Challenger/300 and they’ll likely switch them to the Alfa Romeo Guilia platform. There are also rumblings of a new turbo I6 from them to replace the 5.7 hemi.
While Alfa isn't very reliable, neither was Chrysler. At least the Alfa platform is pretty nimble.

Shame it didn't get the good tuning.
Honestly, I don't think he drove it enough for the adaptives to get properly sorted.

That said, while the FCA programming probably isn't "as good" as BMW's (and probably Audi's), it's a far cry from bad, particularly when compared to the programming for other slushboxes. Don't know if you recall the saga of StevieC's Highlander and the dissatisfaction with that 8spd, but it was so bad he got rid of the vehicle. I've been recently test driving MB's as you know and the programming of their 7 and 9spd isn't anywhere near as good.

Now, having driven a few X5's, their programming is superb. BMW has clearly figured out how to properly program that box.

While Alfa isn't very reliable, neither was Chrysler. At least the Alfa platform is pretty nimble.
The Alfa platforms are extremely impressive. It will be interesting to see what issues pop up (or don't) with these new vehicles. The Grand Cherokee L has the HUD, wireless charging and CarPlay, and the interior is phenomenal. Will it be a reliability nightmare? Dunno. The DT trucks have been great so far for the most part... They are still dragging out the old WKII platform for the SRT and regular Grand Cherokee (as well as the Durango, even though they updated the interior), a lot like what they've done with the LX one, lol.

Months ago I read Stellantis was canceling the SRT program / production.
They claimed reallocation of their engineering expertise to newer tech vehicles and that they weren't going to fire anybody.
Yeah, right.
I'm guessing good examples will appreciate.

Months ago I read Stellantis was canceling the SRT program / production.
They claimed reallocation of their engineering expertise to newer tech vehicles and that they weren't going to fire anybody.
Yeah, right.
I'm guessing good examples will appreciate.
This one?

It says:
Dodge will still move forward with the development of its next SRT-branded cars; the decision to dissolve the SRT team will not affect future models, according to the spokeswoman. Whether they'll be powered by a V8 is up in the air, because company boss Tim Kuniskis warned that regulations are killing the eight-cylinder engine. Similarly, Jeep will continue designing high-performance models, like the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. What changes is that the model will be developed and designed by a group of engineers and stylists from Jeep, not from SRT.

Which is a bit depressing, sounds like SRT is going to become nothing more than some aesthetics, losing its dedicated engineering and design team. Oooof.

Cheap horsepower. Poor people do dumb stuff.
I’m not poor, but I can’t afford a Challenger, which is exactly what I would buy if I won the lottery today (or maybe a Rubicon Wrangler) Poor people aren’t as afraid of debt as I am, I guess.

I was taking spirited drives pretty much every time I took it out of the garage.

Interesting, I thought you were babying it, lol. But yeah, 4,000 miles is pretty low, not sure what the "break-in" parameters in the ECM look like but it's definitely possible you were not out of that yet.

Doesn't matter now though, lol.

Never contradict WS6...he KNOWS ALL!

I do dumb stuff all the time but even though I’m not considered poor, I have been called morally bankrupt so, there’s that.
0C32DE50-23EA-4787-934D-2E9F89916925.gif

Back