Fan of E85 - 2 year review

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my C300 can run either E85 or premium. I have opted to run mainly E85 as I have a station 1/2 mile from my house and despite the large MPG hit I typically break even on cost versus premium. Now two years and ~25k miles later of mostly E85 (90%) I thin I can throw some change into the pot on E85.

When I first bought the car I ran a good 5-6 tanks of premium (93 octane) typically from Chevron before I learned of E85 on a trip to Tennessee where E85 was cheap cheap cheap. I have a white car and noticed the rear would just load up with soot after 2 tanks of regular gas. After two tanks of E85 the soot buildup diminished a good 95%, subsequent tanks of only E85 soot was not even noticeable. Recently after almost a full year of E85 exclusive use I decided to run a few tanks of Chevron 93 Premium to clean up anything the E85 may not be able to clean or may have built up, immediately soot was building up on the rear again. Switched back to my E85 elixir 150 miles ago and the rear end is staying clean again. While I cannot comment on other emissions I can say E85 in my experience is much cleaner on particulates.

Despite the MPG shortfall I am a huge fan of E85 - here is my 2 year review of almost exclusive E85 use.

#1) - While not publicized my car feels more powerful and much smoother on E85

#2) - Soot emissions seem to be highly reduced.

#3) 11 MPG vs 15 MPG - that is my MPG loss but it typically is pennies difference on cost between filling up with premium or E85 on a cost per mile basis (yes I drive 100% city with a lot of stoplights and traffic - I can easily beat HWY mpg on trips on E85 and 93). Yes my C300 will only read out 15-16 MPG (93 octane) or 11-12 MPG (E85) on empty after slugging out my 3 mile city commute for a few hundred miles, my average speed over those tanks is typically less than 10 MPH due to traffic and a boat load of idling in traffic.

Going to admit E85 is not a solution to any problem, the $$$ would not work out if I drove a Focus that took regular unleaded but with my car requiring premium its a break even situation where my cost is the same running premium or E85. I am opting for E85 because it is putting $ in farmers pockets in while also reducing some emissions from my car, I am not saying it is the saving grace of anything or is the saving grace alternate fuel.

White 2018 RAM 1500 3.6...White 2017 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6. Zero soot anywhere at anytime. Before that white 2010 Ford Ranger 2.3, white 2016 Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi/6 speed, white Chevy Equinox 2.4, again all zero black soot. The Jeep is 90% short tripped. I don't understand how you get soot on the back of your car. Have you taken it back to dealer to get it checked out?

I appreciate solid, informative posts like these, thanks.

As to the soot, I've got a white diesel Colorado, and no evidence of soot on the rear end.

OP says car feels more powerful on E85...

Are the injectors and ECU able to compensate and deliver that much more fuel, in order to make MORE power than with regular gasoline (E10)?

All things being equal, E85 will make dramatically less HP due to there being a lower energy content in alcohol than gasoline.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I appreciate solid, informative posts like these, thanks.

As to the soot, I've got a white diesel Colorado, and no evidence of soot on the rear end.

All of our service trucks are flex fuel and LOVE e85 as far as driveability goes, but you do take a mileage hit. Most flex fuel cars easily add enough fuel and timing to make more power on e85.

As for soot, I would be looking at them very carefully if that happened!

I'm not understanding why you're getting so much "soot" from burning standard unleaded premium? It's all I burn, and I can take my finger and rub it on the inside of the tailpipes, on both my new 2018 Toyota, and my 2015 Jeep, and they don't even get dirty. If you're getting coal buildup on the exterior of the vehicle, I would seriously have your fuel system looked at. Even the new diesels won't do that.

I often run a blend of E85 and regular. The E85 bumps the regular octane up into premium territory. My GM loves premium fuel. Doesn't say it requires it but it runs so much smoother under heavy acceleration or climbing a hill under load. With standard regular fuel I get octane knock and car feels way less powerful. With the E85 added it feels like a mini turbo has been added and definitely can feel the added boost in power. I get 22 mpg on regular normally and around 18 -19 on the blend. Cost is normally break even or close but due to performance I prefer the blend.

Great info. Thanks.

As for soot, my 2013 Camaro's tail pipe would be black and soot build up on it but when I ran FF it didn't build up. Our 2008 and 2011 Acadia's both had black soot build up on the chrome tail pipes that I had to clean off with simple green and a scotch brite sponge when I washed them. My 2002 Silverado also has black soot on the tail pipe.

Now the 2008 Acadia and my 2002 Silverado are not DI but the 2011 Acadia was.

If you own a vehicle and can run your finger inside the tail pipe and not come out black running regular fuel then consider yourself lucky or your vehicle is running lean.

I don't have the picture anymore but there was a white BMW in a parking lot that the entire rear end was black from soot. Looked bad and was surprised that a BMW owner would let it get that way.

I wonder if your cats are laoded up with [censored] from the lower engine rpms/idling/lower exhaust temps. Maybe a good old italian tune up will clear it up a bit, and then you can retest with super? Ive never seen any real soot on my cars that were running correctly on proper fuel, besides the golf diesel of course.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
OP says car feels more powerful on E85...

Are the injectors and ECU able to compensate and deliver that much more fuel, in order to make MORE power than with regular gasoline (E10)?

All things being equal, E85 will make dramatically less HP due to there being a lower energy content in alcohol than gasoline.

It is a flex fuel capable vehicle so it was engineered to adapt fueling and timing. Will say the first 5-10 minutes after switching from premium to E85 it feels like a pig until the ECU adapts the timing and fuel delivery. Owners manual says to let it get to 1/4 tank of below before switching, I let it get to the gas light on before I switch fuels.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
White 2018 RAM 1500 3.6...White 2017 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6. Zero soot anywhere at anytime. Before that white 2010 Ford Ranger 2.3, white 2016 Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi/6 speed, white Chevy Equinox 2.4, again all zero black soot. The Jeep is 90% short tripped. I don't understand how you get soot on the back of your car. Have you taken it back to dealer to get it checked out?

No need to go to dealer - its an '09 with a long expired warranty and meets/exceeds its fuel economy sticker numbers on both E85 and premium and has no CEL illuminated. It just creates soot on premium, nothing visible from the exhaust just a noticeable on close look buildup on the trunk lid and rear bumper if we haven't had a good rainstorm in a week or so.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I'm not understanding why you're getting so much "soot" from burning standard unleaded premium? It's all I burn, and I can take my finger and rub it on the inside of the tailpipes, on both my new 2018 Toyota, and my 2015 Jeep, and they don't even get dirty. If you're getting coal buildup on the exterior of the vehicle, I would seriously have your fuel system looked at. Even the new diesels won't do that.

See above - don't know if its a car specific thing but have no issues that would point to a problem with the fuel system. Car is rated at 19 (E85) or 25 (91/93) hwy and I can easily get 20 hwy on E85 or 27 hwy on E85. Might be a function of my commute that involves a cold start and ~15 minutes of stop and go city driving to go 2.8 miles, in the cold of winter my coolant gauge may just be hitting regular operating temperature right as I am pulling into the parking garage or parking at home. Lots of short cycles with a few longer ones tossed in between.

Originally Posted By: Audios
I wonder if your cats are laoded up with [censored] from the lower engine rpms/idling/lower exhaust temps. Maybe a good old italian tune up will clear it up a bit, and then you can retest with super? Ive never seen any real soot on my cars that were running correctly on proper fuel, besides the golf diesel of course.

Oh she gets an Italian tuneup on the regular. If I said I didn't push her hard I would be lying to your face. She sees a good 5-6 redline runs from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd gear on each tank. Normal driving I keep shift points at/around 3-3.5 RPM - she is definitely not babied.

I am an owner of three GDI engines. They all produce soot all over the back of the car. They have done this from day one off the showroom floor. It is the nature of many of these engines to do this. In Europe they are raising great concern because of their high particulates in the exhaust.

Originally Posted By: walterjay
... It is the nature of many of these engines to do this. In Europe they are raising great concern because of their high particulates in the exhaust.
For good reason. Why should GDI vehicles be allowed get by with it when diesels aren't any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back