Fan Clutch 2002 GMC 1500

CCI

2002 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4.8L V-8, fan clutch is always engaged.

Is there any way to tell before I start pulling things apart if this fan clutch is thermally controlled or electrically controlled?

Thanks!

Looks thermally controlled to me based off pictures. I think the truck ones are unless you have E-fans.
But on the off chance it is electric it will have a connector and cabling come out of it.

Never heard of an electrically controlled fan clutch. If it's driven off the engine it's thermally controlled. Only electric fans are electrically controlled.

Never heard of an electrically controlled fan clutch. If it's driven off the engine it's thermally controlled. Only electric fans are electrically controlled.
Many mechanical fan clutches are electronically controlled. First I remember was the 2003 6.0 power stroke in a ford pickup as do the 2004+ dodge with a 6.7 Cummins . Those 2 always failed. See the wires?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231207-073026.jpg
    Screenshot_20231207-073026.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 12
Many mechanical fan clutches are electronically controlled. First I remember was the 2003 6.0 power stroke in a ford pickup as do the 2004+ dodge with a 6.7 Cummins . Those 2 always failed. See the wires?
That's new to me. What happens inside when they power up? Doesn't look like an a/c clutch.

The one in my ‘04 6.0 PSD E-350 was electrically controlled, it would respond to transmission temperature & kick in. Never failed in 8 years/250K+ miles. Unlike many other things on that van…

• Haha
Reactions: D60
As mentioned, many Ford applications switched to the electrically controlled clutches in the Mid-2000's. Superduties, F150's, Explorers to name a few. Kind of the first step in the evolution to all electrical, non- engine driven fans in some of those platforms.

Semi Trucks often use air driven clutches that are controlled by an electrical solenoid. Many operators set up a switch that allows them to directly control the fan. Same idea, just a different mechanism.

Yeah our '02 Silverado 5.3 was just thermal/whatever

edit: thank the GM gods for 2-piece fan shrouds

Yeah our '02 Silverado 5.3 was just thermal/whatever

edit: thank the GM gods for 2-piece fan shrouds

This has been a pretty easy truck to work on so far, I appreciate the way GM was thinking then.

Ordered a Hayden 2786 fan clutch and the pneumatic-hammer 36mm wrench today, along with the remover tool for the plastic push-pins.

Hopefully a pretty easy fix and I don't break any 21 year old plastic.

As mentioned, many Ford applications switched to the electrically controlled clutches in the Mid-2000's. Superduties, F150's, Explorers to name a few. Kind of the first step in the evolution to all electrical, non- engine driven fans in some of those platforms.

Semi Trucks often use air driven clutches that are controlled by an electrical solenoid. Many operators set up a switch that allows them to directly control the fan. Same idea, just a different mechanism.

My Freightliner had a C12 CAT engine with a switch in the cab for the engine fan.

This has been a pretty easy truck to work on so far, I appreciate the way GM was thinking then.

Ordered a Hayden 2786 fan clutch and the pneumatic-hammer 36mm wrench today, along with the remover tool for the plastic push-pins.

Hopefully a pretty easy fix and I don't break any 21 year old plastic.
You don't even have to drain any coolant. Pull that intake tube off at the throttle body and air filter box. Remove two bolts with 10 mm heads. Remove 4 push pins, push the upper hose back and pull the top shroud out. Change the clutch and put it back together.

Reactions: D60
You don't even have to drain any coolant. Pull that intake tube off at the throttle body and air filter box. Remove two bolts with 10 mm heads. Remove 4 push pins, push the upper hose back and pull the top shroud out. Change the clutch and put it back together.
Thanks much!

The Trailblazer used an electro viscous clutch for most years up until the last 2 when they went back to a basic thermal clutch.

Back