2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Transmission Problem

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 6 speed has developed transmission shudder. Looking for advice on upgrading the torque converter. Someone suggested using a converter for a CTS-V. Is that a good replacement? Anything else have to be swapped in order to use it?

Truck is stock. Not looking for any performance upgrade, just hoping to make it more reliable.

Thanks in advance!

5+ yrs and 63k miles ago, while I was replacing the engine rear main seal on our 2007 Yukon Denali w/6.2L & 6L80e, I also installed a Precision # 4646 torque converter. The stock original working one that came out was # JMBX 2423.

Cost was about $220 from a local dealer. Still going strong today at 193k miles.
https://gopnh.com/Search-Results?Partnumber=4646
TC old.JPG

TC new.JPG

Fresh Dexron VI & Converter will fix the shudder for a time, Who knows for how long as the TCC Regulator Valve Bore in the Valve Body does wear.

First step is to drop the pan & make sure the converter hasn't started making metal.

If the pan/magnet just has normal amounts of wear debris.....
Order a Twin Disc billet front stock stall JMBX converter.
Buy a Sonnax Zip Kit part# 6L45-6L90-ZIP
Using tuning software, HP-Tuners or EFI-Live.....Disable the AFM, Disable 1st-4th gear TCC apply & release, And set all TCC Slip tables to Zero.

That being said......A stock JMBX rebuild will live IF you do the Zip Kit & Tuning!

Clinebarger is correct. I

With that said -If you want to buy some time I have done quite a few transmission fluid drain/fills with Maxlife and a tube of the Shudder Fix additive. It works well believe it or not!

Back