Factory Fill Question 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth. It will be driven about 30,000 miles a year and sees plenty of highway use.

Factory fill is PU 5W40 Euro, which is the oil it will continue to get. The onboard computer will tell me when to change the oil, but I expect it to go off at 10k miles. I'm thinking that's too long for a small displacement high performance turbocharged engine.

I'm thinking of doing a 5k OCI. The question is when should I dump the factory fill? BTW the first three oil changes are on Fiat, so no cost to me.

I would do the first change at 2,000 miles.

The rest of them I'd do between 4-5,000 miles but never go past 5,000.

4,000 miles if you want to be really safe.

Uoa to verify?
Doing 5k instead of 10k will end up costing more then a uoa if the OLM says 10k

Uoa the oil at 5k then go from there.

Congrats on your new Abarth. They are great cars. And BTW it's Abarth 500, there's no FIAT in its name
wink.gif
Do the first change on 2 k, and after every 5k. It is fairly small sump so it's not overly expensive.

Is The Abarth 500 you guys get made in the US since it comes with Pennzoil in the sump?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shDK
Is The Abarth 500 you guys get made in the US since it comes with Pennzoil in the sump?

It's made at the Chrysler Toluca, Mexico factory. Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 is the same as Shell Helix Ultra.

If you intend to keep the car many years don't wait to start babying her. I'm not sure how many miles the olm will take an oil change. At around 25,000 miles after engine break-in get an UOA with tbn and tan, and then set the interval.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
The regular fiat 500 I had was HARD on oil.

Yes, I've had a regular one too. It had an 8000 OCI specified from the factory. I had a UOA done at the specified 8K with PU 5W30 and nearly all highway driving. The non turbo models specify 5W30. The oil was shot.

The owner's manual specifies service annually or at 10k intervals, whichever comes first. No way will I go that long given my previous experience.

Metal flakes from the break-in process are likely more of a liability than the moly is helping, so it's best to change the oil earlier than normal.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Metal flakes from the break-in process are likely more of a liability than the moly is helping, so it's best to change the oil earlier than normal.

My thoughts exactly. I was thinking changing out the factory fill at 1000 miles, then changing again at 5000, then every 5000 miles thereafter.

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to blow up the engine by leaving ff in for the regular distance. For a small sump engine I'd be very careful to check oil levels from day one.

For 30k per year I'd plan on buying a few uoa's after the first few changes and take the guesswork out of it.

Sorry, my fault, in Europe it' s marketed as Abarth avoiding all connection with FIAT on purpose, but Abarth is well known and appreciated brand here.

It's a real ride you have. I think Pennzoil Ultra is great oil, so is Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40. In any case, keep an eye on the oil and maybe take it between 5,000-7,500...

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

My thoughts exactly. I was thinking changing out the factory fill at 1000 miles, then changing again at 5000, then every 5000 miles thereafter.

You cant go wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back